Bears sign Fred Miller

Da Bears 88

Me personally would of considered two other options first:

1: Contact Jacksonville who lost two starting OL about sending Metcalf there for a 5-7 RD pick.

A team would be nuts to give us a 5th rounder for Metcalf. We traded for Dan Buenning. Once he's proven the coaches he can play in our system, I think Metcalf's gone. Right now we're carrying 9 offensive linemen instead of our usual 8. Beekman is currently our starting LG, has looked good, and can play multiple positions. I just don't see how Metcalf fits into the equation.

2: Put Chris Williams on the IR, and let him get the rest and strength to prepare for next year.

Maybe. But we haven't done that. Which means we still think he'll return. Here's what gets me that NOBODY has mentioned:

Doesn't Fred Miller get cut when Williams returns? We sure as hell aren't going to carry 4 offensive tackles.

A team would be nuts to give us a 5th rounder for Metcalf. We traded for Dan Buenning. Once he's proven the coaches he can play in our system, I think Metcalf's gone. Right now we're carrying 9 offensive linemen instead of our usual 8. Beekman is currently our starting LG, has looked good, and can play multiple positions. I just don't see how Metcalf fits into the equation.

Maybe. But we haven't done that. Which means we still think he'll return. Here's what gets me that NOBODY has mentioned:

Doesn't Fred Miller get cut when Williams returns? We sure as hell aren't going to carry 4 offensive tackles.

OK a 5 is way too high, but making it a conditional 5th if he plays in the probowl (never happen), a 6th if he plays 50% of the snaps, or 7th if he rides the bench.

I would love to see us get some benefit out of Williams this year, but I don't want to see the Bears push the kid out there only to prove he's not a bust which many have already labeled him. I hated Miller last season, but if Tait/St. Clair go down this year, Miller should be able to pick up instantly with out much of a drop off. Thus, the signing is pretty significant.

Here's what gets me that NOBODY has mentioned:

Yes. The way I understand the CBA, we had to wait until after game one was in the books before signing a vet. Otherwise his entire salary would've been gauranteed. So, basically we got Miller for the minimum and we can cut him and not have any future salary ramifications.

If Miller is healthy and really steps in and plays well, it'll make Williams a guy we can red shirt and get healthy for next season.