Revisited- Trade for Quinn

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I'm going to get ripped, and even I'm confused as to why I'm making this thread.

1. Derek Anderson hasn't looked too good, but they are paying him $10 million a year, and I don't think they'll be paying him that riding the pine.

2. Orton is a back-up QB in the NFL (just a starter here, and a few other places). If we are going to suck, we might have a top 10 pick anyways, and we may as well start rebuilding by picking up Brady.

3. With CW coming back as soon as possibly week 12 this year, draft another OT in the 1st round (or an OG) and he'll have a young line.

4. It probably won't take a 1st round pick anymore, it might just take a 2nd and a 4th, maybe a 4th next year as compensation.

5. Even if we lose a 2nd and 4th (where JA makes his money), we might be getting a 2nd or 3rd from Minnesota for compensation for Berrian.

Thoughts?

It'll cost more than you think to get Quinn, and that's IF he's available. Why would his price go down because of two games where the guy ahead of him didn't look very good?

And...I don't think he's available now. Most of the speculation so far is that Anderson could get benched for Quinn, not that Quinn will get moved. Anderson doesn't have a very long contract -- it wouldn't kill them to cut ties after this season (or soon, at least), iirc.

My best guess -- wait a couple games, Anderson will improve. (He had a TOUGH weather situation in the last game. Don't underestimate how bad the wind will make you look.) Then, hopefully, the Browns start thinking about dealing Quinn (probably in the offseason, though). Maybe the price drops, but I've always been a fan, and I think he's worth a 1st. If you can get him for less, hallelujah.

I'd love it, but I agree, I don't see it happening now. I actually could see Anderson possibly. A lot depends on how the Browns shake out though.

Assuming we see more of the same, there's no way Cleveland let's Quinn go... Our window of opportunity for that has closed I beleive.

It'll cost more than you think to get Quinn, and that's IF he's available. Why would his price go down because of two games where the guy ahead of him didn't look very good?

And...I don't think he's available now. Most of the speculation so far is that Anderson could get benched for Quinn, not that Quinn will get moved. Anderson doesn't have a very long contract -- it wouldn't kill them to cut ties after this season (or soon, at least), iirc.

My best guess -- wait a couple games, Anderson will improve. (He had a TOUGH weather situation in the last game. Don't underestimate how bad the wind will make you look.) Then, hopefully, the Browns start thinking about dealing Quinn (probably in the offseason, though). Maybe the price drops, but I've always been a fan, and I think he's worth a 1st. If you can get him for less, hallelujah.

Guest TerraTor
I'm going to get ripped, and even I'm confused as to why I'm making this thread.

1. Derek Anderson hasn't looked too good, but they are paying him $10 million a year, and I don't think they'll be paying him that riding the pine.

2. Orton is a back-up QB in the NFL (just a starter here, and a few other places). If we are going to suck, we might have a top 10 pick anyways, and we may as well start rebuilding by picking up Brady.

3. With CW coming back as soon as possibly week 12 this year, draft another OT in the 1st round (or an OG) and he'll have a young line.

4. It probably won't take a 1st round pick anymore, it might just take a 2nd and a 4th, maybe a 4th next year as compensation.

5. Even if we lose a 2nd and 4th (where JA makes his money), we might be getting a 2nd or 3rd from Minnesota for compensation for Berrian.

Thoughts?

so how many years do we give him to suck? another 5 or 6 years like Grossman?

Don't elite, pro bowl players that move teams usually net no better than 3rd round picks? I would think Berrian nets us a 5th, maybe 4th if we are lucky.

There is no point in going after Quinn right now. The Browns would be dumb to get rid of him until they are certain that Anderson will have another good year. I think Quinn or Anderson will be available after this season. It just all depends on if one of them has a good season. If Quinn is available Id be willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd for him. Its a much better option to get a guy who would be ready to start next season AND was coached by a different team, than to use our first on a drafting a QB who may not be ready to play for another 2-4 years. Just my two cents. But I've advocated all along that I would love to get Quinn next year.

Thoughts?

Just an FYI, but if you are talking about a compensatory pick for losing Berrian in FA, those picks don't come from the team that signed the guy, they come from the league at the end of a round.

Also, the earliest picks they give out are in the 3rd round. That would be pick number 97 if we got the highest possible pick and it's virtually a 4th rounder.

All that being said, I don't think Quinn is available and would probably take our 1st rounder and a CB at the least.

We will not be the only team searching for a QB. Expect Minn to give up a 1st for Quinn since they've shown a willingness to part with a 1st Rd pick already. They may also view their offense as complete except for a QB. I don't see JA giving up a first round pick.

What will Gruden do in Tampa? He has to get his QB situation resolved next year or he might be gone. I'm sure there will be other teams as well.

Who else might be available? With McNabb lighting it up the situation with Kolb changes. I have no clue about him. Alex Smith will be available. Not much good about what he's done. Rex Grossman? As always it's a QB starved league. I'm not ready to give up on Orton but I'm not ready to say he's starter material either. I think what's most likely to happen is he continues to perform average for us and remains our starter going into next year while we bring in a high draft pick to groom for the spot.

Everyone loved Orton after week one.

Everyone loved Orton 3 quarters into week two.

How do we know Quinn doesn't suck? Do we know he doesn't? There's been tons of first round busts lately.

Would anyone like to wager that Aaron Rogers has a major melt-down by the end of the season? My bet is he does.

That being said, lets see what Kyle does vs. Tampa.

I wouldnt do it, And to tell ya the truth I see KC getting either one. They are in a group more trouble there then we are here.

Maybe...but it's a double-edged sword, though. If you're in more trouble, then you need more pieces, so those picks are more valuable to you. KC may be closer to a 'screw it, let's totally rebuild' moment than an 'all we need is a qb' one.

There is no point in going after Quinn right now. The Browns would be dumb to get rid of him until they are certain that Anderson will have another good year. I think Quinn or Anderson will be available after this season. It just all depends on if one of them has a good season. If Quinn is available Id be willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd for him. Its a much better option to get a guy who would be ready to start next season AND was coached by a different team, than to use our first on a drafting a QB who may not be ready to play for another 2-4 years. Just my two cents. But I've advocated all along that I would love to get Quinn next year.

On this I agree.

Without knowing where the Bears's draft picks will be, without knowing how the Browns finish this season and how much they'll value each qb at year's end, there's just no way to do this right other than to severely overpay.

If Orton can't cut it this year and you're unsatisfied with the QB selection available via FA and your first draft picks...then you talk.

Thoughts?

Holy crap I thought you were talking about Jonathan Quinn when I read your title and first sentence, I almost choked on some pizza crust.