Forte, Jones, AP, Wolfe

jason

The lack of anyone showing interest in signing him had much more to do w/ his injury than ability.

In posting the below numbers, you seem to have left off 2004. In that year, he had: 1,133 (4.7 ypc) and 5 scores.

Sure, his YPC were down the next few years, but seriously. He played for Detroit. 3.8 ypc is pretty good in Detroit. He also did rack up 5, 6 & 8 rushing scores each year. I would further point out that his 61 catches for over 500 yards and another couple scores is impressive.

Kevin Jones is a good RB who was unfortunate to play for Detroit. The key reason teams didn't show more interest in him this offseason was due to injury. Even when he signed w/ us, it was expected he would start the season on the PUP, and it was unknown if he would be available after that.

I have no problem w/ our signing him. I think it was a good signing (risk/reward). I would have no problem if we wanted to use him more, but at the same time, I have no problem if we want to de-activate him due to his lack of special teams potential.

You make some excellent points but there is something about Detroit were rookie RB's do well and then production falls off.

Currently Lions rookie Kevin Smith is averaging 4.5 yds per carry and has 5 td's. I wonder if his production falls off next yr ?

I don't have a problem with Kevin Jones and liked the signing. Now having seen him he's very much like AP.

They both have similar speed and receiving abilities but AP is a very good special teams player. KJ isn't a special teams player.

IMO the coaching staff isn't at fault for not having KJ active. I wouldn't mind seeing Wolf get some PT @ RB as well.

[quote

They are going to run Matt into the ground before they go with an RB tandem...

I think you are right, unfortunately. What good will Forte be when they run his dick into the dirt? That's been my question for a few weeks running. I don't care who spells Forte as long s he's fresh when we need him.

I would also add that I was mentioning to a buddy the other day how much AP's running style reminds me of Marion Barber in Dallas. He's a sledgehammer which I think makes for a great change of pace late in games.

I dunno. I read these unequivical statements that KJ is better than AP or Wolfe, and I have to say that I just haven't seen it since his injury last year. Maybe he's still a great RB and is just out of sync in this offense, but he hasn't done anything that any other RB couldn't do with the few opportunities he's been given as far as I can see.