Bad draft picks by Angelo

Da Bears 88

you can do this with any GM and come up with a similar list...

not trying to defend him or anything but it really comes down to the scouts...

Who hired the scouts ?? and who use to be a scout ???...................... Jerry Angelo

1 Ced Benson

2 Rex Grossman

3 Michael Haynes

4 Dan Bazuin

5 Ro Williams

6 Michael Okwo

7 Tank Johnson

8 Mark Bradley

9 Terrance Metcalf

10 Dusty D

Dusty has had a few good games this year and disappeared in others with the rest of the line. I know it is his 3rd year but technically he is a first year player. I think it might be too early to put him on the list.

Tank Johnson was becoming a kick ass DLman before he got cut, certainly not because of ability, but because of his off-field problems. I am not sure you can fault Angelo for that. He drafted a talented DT who played well.

Bradly was a good WR when healthy, he just never could stay healthy. Again, is this Angelo's fault?

The other 7 for sure, just not sure if I would lay the blame on the 3 I listed on Angelo as being players that were not good decisions at the time of the draft. All 3 IMO were good picks that went south for one reason or another. The other 7 were players who never showed the skill sets they were drafted for and were bad picks.

Maybe we should start listing Angelo's top 10 BEST selections? He has had as many if not more Good hits as bad ones, IMO.

Who hired the scouts ?? and who use to be a scout ???...................... Jerry Angelo

But still...make a list like this for any other team...everyone has hits and misses...it happens in all sports...

Do you honestly expect for everyone in rounds 1-5 to turn into something?

get over it.

Per Pix's suggestion, JA's top ten draft picks (in no particular order):

- Briggs

- Tillman

- Vasher

- Alex Brown

- Tommie Harris

- Olsen

- Forte

- Hester

- Berrian

- Graham

Others for consideration:

- Orton

- Columbo

- Chris Harris

- Adrian Peterson (considering round drafted)

- Harrison

- Payne

- Gage

- Gould (he was undrafted but should be considered)

Peace :dabears

well let's see...

SEVEN 1st round picks - quality/average starters - tommy harris, and greg olsen. both picks were no brainers. if we didn't get harris we would have gotten dt vince wolfolk. olsen fell from the middle of the first round to our 31st spot.

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: columbo, grossman, haynes, benson, williams (no idea what he is like but put him in the scratching your head catagory because of serious back injury before we drafted him).

SEVEN 2nd round picks - quality/average starters - forte (a good pick after picking 2 first day RB picks and two second day RB picks prior to him. sooner or later one has to stick?), tillman (average corner but would have made all-pro safety if anyone in this organization had the slightest clue)

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: bazuin, d. manning, hester with reservations (too high of a pick for special teams player who crashed after 2 seasons), bradley, tank

NINE 3rd round picks - quality/average starters - briggs

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: metcalf, r. williams, berrian, dvoracek, okwo, wolfe, m. harrison, bennett (how bad is he if he can't crack THIS lineup?)

so that adds up to 23 first day picks with 3 above average starters in harris, briggs, and forte. not sure about olsen whether he is our #1 or not.

SECOND DAY PICKS:

NINE 4th round picks - quality/average starters - orton, a. brown, and POSSIBLY beekman who may be average at best.

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: steltz, j. williams, vasher, joe, todd johnson, ian scott

TWELVE 5th round picks - quality/average starters - NONE

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: gray, lafavor, gage, wade, krenzel, c. harriott, currie, m. anderson, corey graham (unknown at this time), payne (really bad at this time), k. davis, bowman

EIGHT 6th round picks - quality/average starters - NONE

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: runnels, reed, c. harris, odom, forsey, a. peterson (good sp player), elliott, fletcher

TEN 7th round picks - quality/average starters - NONE

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: b. anderson, a. marshall, r. wilson, a. brant, mcbride (unknown), monk, barton, larocque, c. adams, baldwin

so that leaves 2-3 (IFyou consider beekman even average) starters drafted on the 2nd day out of THIRTY NINE picks!! can anyone tell me again why we trade down for more picks on the first day??

THIS is jerry angelo's legacy in chicago

Jerry Angelo has one of the more mediocre draft day records among his peers, especially considering his bustouts in rounds 1-3. His list is among the worst:

1. Dan Bazuin

2. Michael Okwo

3. Cedric Benson

4. Michael Haynes

5. Roosevelt Williams

6. Rex Grossman

7. Mark Bradley

8. Terrence Metcalf

9. Danneal Manning (nice kick returner, brutal DB - not worthy of a second round pick)

10. Dusty Dvoracek

Best picks?

1. Lance Briggs

2. Devin Hester

3. Matt Forte

4. Tommie Harris

5. Alex Brown

6. Chris Harris

7. Greg Olsen

8. Peanut Tillman (last night notwithstanding)

9. Nathan Vasher (his rapid decline nothwithstanding)

10. Marc Columbo

Showing promise:

1. Marcus Harrison

2. Kyle Orton

3. Corey Graham

On the bubble:

1. Kevin Payne. Has some INT's, but is truly awful in coverage - stiff, not instinctive.

2. Earl Bennett. ANOTHER Bazuin and Okwo?

3. Garrett Wolfe. Would have been available in the 5th round

well let's see...

SEVEN 2nd round picks - quality/average starters - forte (a good pick after picking 2 first day RB picks and two second day RB picks prior to him. sooner or later one has to stick?), tillman (average corner but would have made all-pro safety if anyone in this organization had the slightest clue)

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: bazuin, d. manning, hester with reservations (too high of a pick for special teams player who crashed after 2 seasons), bradley, tank

NINE 3rd round picks - quality/average starters - briggs

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: metcalf, r. williams, berrian, dvoracek, okwo, wolfe, m. harrison, bennett (how bad is he if he can't crack THIS lineup?)

so that adds up to 23 first day picks with 3 above average starters in harris, briggs, and forte. not sure about olsen whether he is our #1 or not.

SECOND DAY PICKS:

NINE 4th round picks - quality/average starters - orton, a. brown, and POSSIBLY beekman who may be average at best.

the unknown, bad or just plain gone: steltz, j. williams, vasher, joe, todd johnson, ian scott

Tillman is an above average corner who would be a great FS. I agree he should be moved to FS.

Hester is not bad or unknown. He was a once in a lifetime returner who the staff has screwed up.

Vasher is a bad pick? He is playing bad this yr but his first 3 yrs he was a very, very good player.

Payne needs to play SS. He excelled in that role at the beginning of the yr. He is not a FS.

Tillman is an above average corner who would be a great FS. I agree he should be moved to FS.

Hester is not bad or unknown. He was a once in a lifetime returner who the staff has screwed up.

Vasher is a bad pick? He is playing bad this yr but his first 3 yrs he was a very, very good player.

Payne needs to play SS. He excelled in that role at the beginning of the yr. He is not a FS.

1. hester - he is a BAD receiver, a BAD corner, and he has turned into one of the worst return men in the entire NFL. what he did for 2 years doesn't get a pass for a career player picked that high whether stunted by idiot coaching or not.

2. vasher is/was average at BEST. he was never a good cover corner and benefited from good safeties and great line play. he also has no speed and is a poor tackler.

3. payne is one of the poorest safeties we have had for some time. he is one of the worst tacklers ever, he takes poor angles of attack, and puts himself out of plays continually. his lack of technique shows this coaching staff is completely inept at coaching players or he is a complete cretin.

just for curiosities sake.... if you were an owner of another franchise, which player would you give up a first round pick for in a trade? a second?

4. EDIT: tillman is not an above average corner unless he was matched up with specific players. he is way below average with any receiver who has any speed or quickness. that is why he plays so far off the LOS. as far as safety, i have been saying this for years. he would excel. as it is we have done the same thing with peanut we did with tait.

1. hester - he is a BAD receiver, a BAD corner, and he has turned into one of the worst return men in the entire NFL. what he did for 2 years doesn't get a pass for a career player picked that high whether stunted by idiot coaching or not.

2. vasher is/was average at BEST. he was never a good cover corner and benefited from good safeties and great line play. he also has no speed and is a poor tackler.

3. payne is one of the poorest safeties we have had for some time. he is one of the worst tacklers ever, he takes poor angles of attack, and puts himself out of plays continually. his lack of technique shows this coaching staff is completely inept at coaching players or he is a complete cretin.

just for curiosities sake.... if you were an owner of another franchise, which player would you give up a first round pick for in a trade? a second?

4. EDIT: tillman is not an above average corner unless he was matched up with specific players. he is way below average with any receiver who has any speed or quickness. that is why he plays so far off the LOS. as far as safety, i have been saying this for years. he would excel. as it is we have done the same thing with peanut we did with tait.

We'll agree to disagree. Not looking to get into a long drawn out arguement.

BTW - If I was the owner of a franchise, I wouldn't get involved in the day to day activities of the team. That's for my GM. However, if I was a GM I would avoid trading for another player unless I felt I was a player away from winning it all. In the NFL, you need your draft picks. Trades for players, in general, do not work out.

BTW - If I was the owner of a franchise, I wouldn't get involved in the day to day activities of the team. That's for my GM. However, if I was a GM I would avoid trading for another player unless I felt I was a player away from winning it all. In the NFL, you need your draft picks. Trades for players, in general, do not work out.

ok, ok, let's say you were a gm or someone in charge of player acquisition. you wouldn't make any trades unless you thought it would make you win the superbowl that specific year?

not saying you are completely wrong and agree a lot of trades don't work out, but can i assume you would be against an a. bouldin (wr cards) trade? or picking up a seriously good qb in the past? or a killer de?

ok, ok, let's say you were a gm or someone in charge of player acquisition. you wouldn't make any trades unless you thought it would make you win the superbowl that specific year?

not saying you are completely wrong and agree a lot of trades don't work out, but can i assume you would be against an a. bouldin (wr cards) trade? or picking up a seriously good qb in the past? or a killer de?

I would definately not trade for a quality WR unless I was confident we had a QB that could get him the ball.

In the same regards, why trade for a top shelf QB unless you had the WRs to throw to or a OL to give him time to do so?

I would not trade for a killer DE unless I was sure our DTs would provide the push up the middle to allow him to be effective.

The problem we are in right now is we have too many question marks to fill unless we go into the FA market and hit it big in the drafts.

I wouldn't be against trading my players for picks. I would only trade for a player if I felt they were one of the final pieces to the puzzle. Bouldin is extremely tempting but I would have to hold for now given the needs we currently have.

I would definately not trade for a quality WR unless I was confident we had a QB that could get him the ball.

In the same regards, why trade for a top shelf QB unless you had the WRs to throw to or a OL to give him time to do so?

I would not trade for a killer DE unless I was sure our DTs would provide the push up the middle to allow him to be effective.

The problem we are in right now is we have too many question marks to fill unless we go into the FA market and hit it big in the drafts.

you don't feel orton can do this then i assume? if that is the case where are you going to find this qb that "could" get him the ball? in the draft?

1. we never draft high enough to get a primo prospect. should we trade up to get one? angie would have a coronary if he moved up an inch in the first round. even when we do have a top ten pick we trade down anyway. angelo couldn't pick a good qb if his name was carved in his forehead.

2. free agency? those chances come once in a generation. example: brees. any quality qb in his prime gets signed, period.

you wouldn't trade for an all-pro de without sure thing dt"s? where would you get the money for 2 excellent+ DT's and an elite free agent DE? would you have traded for walter jones in his prime even without an elite qb? for reggie white even without all-pro tackles? i sure would have.

you HAVE to be able to draft very well (are you listening angie?) but to get a team over the top you may have to take an elite player when you can get him and build around him with a 3 year plan to win it all.

Mark Bradley a "stud?" He had zero catches yesterday. He was a bad pick by Angelo - the kid had a terrible injury in college and limited experience...and that carried over to his time with the Bears. Add to that his, apparent, awful practice habits and you get a stiff that never should have been drafted.

you don't feel orton can do this then i assume? if that is the case where are you going to find this qb that "could" get him the ball? in the draft?

1. we never draft high enough to get a primo prospect. should we trade up to get one? angie would have a coronary if he moved up an inch in the first round. even when we do have a top ten pick we trade down anyway. angelo couldn't pick a good qb if his name was carved in his forehead.

2. free agency? those chances come once in a generation. example: brees. any quality qb in his prime gets signed, period.

you wouldn't trade for an all-pro de without sure thing dt"s? where would you get the money for 2 excellent+ DT's and an elite free agent DE? would you have traded for walter jones in his prime even without an elite qb? for reggie white even without all-pro tackles? i sure would have.

you HAVE to be able to draft very well (are you listening angie?) but to get a team over the top you may have to take an elite player when you can get him and build around him with a 3 year plan to win it all.

It's possible Orton could be the answer at QB. I also feel Hanie in the near future could develop into an excellent option at QB. I do not feel QB is a high priority at this time.

RB & TE are fine. Would not mind seeing a 2nd string RB drafted to back up Forte.

However, OL needs a lot of work and WRs, well, we definately need not only a true #1 but a solid #2 as well.

I think we have the DTs on our squad already if we had proper coaching / schemes.

Angelo knew about Chris Williams injury and yet he takes him and proceeds to get hurt.

Teams dropped him off their draft boards, but we go ahead and still take him.

Another fantastic pick again, Angelo.

2008 Draft Rd Player Position School

1 Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt

2 Matt Forte RB Tulane

3 Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt

3 Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas

4 Craig Steltz SAF Louisiana State

5 Zack Bowman CB Nebraska

5 Kellen Davis TE Michigan State

7 Ervin Baldwin DE Michigan State

7 Chester Adams G Georgia

7 Joey LaRocque LB Oregon State

7 Kirk Barton T Ohio State

7 Marcus Monk WR Arkansas

Only guy worth a damn from this draft. Thanks alot Angelo. Please resign.

Only guy worth a damn from this draft. Thanks alot Angelo. Please resign.

Your writing off all these players already?

Williams may still be the answer for us at LOT.

I think it is way too early to write off players like Harrison, Steltz, & Bowman.

I have been disappointed in Bennett but still too early to tell.

Your writing off all these players already?

Williams may still be the answer for us at LOT.

I think it is way too early to write off players like Harrison, Steltz, & Bowman.

I have been disappointed in Bennett but still too early to tell.

Of course he's writing off these players already. We all know a draft is only good if the player performs in the first yr. ;)

Personally, I think Williams is the key to this draft. He needs to start next yr.