Smith Needs To Go

chitownman

I didn't bother reading this thread, but I feel the biggest problem with our coaching staff is that we basically only have guys who played some ball at college (probably mostly small schools), and became coaches. I realize the majority of coaches come through this route, but I'm not sure if we have one coach on the team who has had any NFL experience as a player. I think we need some coaches with that experience, and have been there before. We also need some more motivational guys. With Lovie there looking like an idiot, someone has to get some passion into the guys.

While no one has specifically mentioned the small college aspect you mention, many did mention the motivation/passion element that is sorely lacking.

Good points on the lack of pro playing experience... I figure it plays a factor, if not large factor.

I think nfo has mentioned on numerous occassions, that Smith was never that great of a DC.. He relied on trunovers while the offensive juggernaught of the Warner Rams kept racking up points. And when oddly matched agasint a better mastermind in the SB, lost even with that team.

I didn't bother reading this thread, but I feel the biggest problem with our coaching staff is that we basically only have guys who played some ball at college (probably mostly small schools), and became coaches. I realize the majority of coaches come through this route, but I'm not sure if we have one coach on the team who has had any NFL experience as a player. I think we need some coaches with that experience, and have been there before. We also need some more motivational guys. With Lovie there looking like an idiot, someone has to get some passion into the guys.

While no one has specifically mentioned the small college aspect you mention, many did mention the motivation/passion element that is sorely lacking.

Good points on the lack of pro playing experience... I figure it plays a factor, if not large factor.

I think nfo has mentioned on numerous occassions, that Smith was never that great of a DC.. He relied on trunovers while the offensive juggernaught of the Warner Rams kept racking up points. And when oddly matched agasint a better mastermind in the SB, lost even with that team.

That's something I heard about Rivera. he could motivate. Babich, from what I've heard, couldnt motivate a virgin in a strip club.

Hampton talked about this on the Score a couple weeks back. As a former player, Hampton was pressed to talk about how much a coach actually motivates players. Obviously paraphrased, but this is how I recall his comments.

Hampton said a coaches ability to motivate on game day is HIGHLY over-rated. He basically said that a player, at that point, is either motivated or not, and little a coach can do will have an affect at that late stage. But he went on to talk about how a good coach used a process of motivation throughout the week. He talked about how, as a player, the coaches would begin to use motivational tools beginning Tuesday or Wednesday. You have the obvious. New clippings or hyping rivalries. Then he talked about other things. Like watching film and how individuals would be matched up, and calling out players to do this or that. He said you have to do more than just teach the Xs and Os during the week, but find a way to put emotion into it.

He explained all this better than I.

He went on to talk about how good Rivera was in this regard. Rivera knew how to connect w/ players during the week and motivate them for game days. He then went on to rip Babich in this regard. He said he coaches in a detached way during the week. He goes about the Xs and Os, but doesn't add the emotional factor, or inspire the players throughout the week. Thus, he said, is why you often see our players playing so flat on game days.

As fans, its nice to think of men getting paid millions to play a game having enough self motivation all the above isn't necessary, but that simply isn't reality. Reality is, coaches do need to find ways to motivate the players. Rivera was able to do this. Lovie/Babich are not.

That's something I heard about Rivera. he could motivate. Babich, from what I've heard, couldnt motivate a virgin in a strip club.

Hampton talked about this on the Score a couple weeks back. As a former player, Hampton was pressed to talk about how much a coach actually motivates players. Obviously paraphrased, but this is how I recall his comments.

Hampton said a coaches ability to motivate on game day is HIGHLY over-rated. He basically said that a player, at that point, is either motivated or not, and little a coach can do will have an affect at that late stage. But he went on to talk about how a good coach used a process of motivation throughout the week. He talked about how, as a player, the coaches would begin to use motivational tools beginning Tuesday or Wednesday. You have the obvious. New clippings or hyping rivalries. Then he talked about other things. Like watching film and how individuals would be matched up, and calling out players to do this or that. He said you have to do more than just teach the Xs and Os during the week, but find a way to put emotion into it.

He explained all this better than I.

He went on to talk about how good Rivera was in this regard. Rivera knew how to connect w/ players during the week and motivate them for game days. He then went on to rip Babich in this regard. He said he coaches in a detached way during the week. He goes about the Xs and Os, but doesn't add the emotional factor, or inspire the players throughout the week. Thus, he said, is why you often see our players playing so flat on game days.

As fans, its nice to think of men getting paid millions to play a game having enough self motivation all the above isn't necessary, but that simply isn't reality. Reality is, coaches do need to find ways to motivate the players. Rivera was able to do this. Lovie/Babich are not.

I think that's what I remembered when I said that and one reason why I miss Rivera.

Well, arguably the best, or one of the best motivators in NFL is Rod Miranelli, from what I've heard and read. Yeah, the Lions suck, but that's more on upper-management and Millen being a complete joke. And I think the odds of him being our DC next year are great.