Orton named starter for 2009

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The Bears confirmed that they will enter 2009 with Kyle Orton as their starting quarterback.

The Bears apparently don't believe Orton's inability to go downfield and ugly finish to 2008 makes him deserving of competition. Orton will be in the last year of his contract and making him play for a potential extension is a start. The Bears need to give Orton better weapons, but we have our doubts he'll ever be above average.

rotoworld

IMO, what this means is that the Bears, correctly, will not be bringing in some high priced person (i.e. Matt Cassell) to compete with Orton at the QB slot, and it means they probably won't spend their first rounder on a QB. It also means Orton won't be extended and if he plays well enough they'll risk the franchise tag on him.

Hopefully it doesn't mean that the Bears will go in to next season with Hanie as their only backup plan if Orton gets hurt or if Orton walks after next year.

IMO, what this means is that the Bears, correctly, will not be bringing in some high priced person (i.e. Matt Cassell) to compete with Orton at the QB slot, and it means they probably won't spend their first rounder on a QB. It also means Orton won't be extended and if he plays well enough they'll risk the franchise tag on him.

Hopefully it doesn't mean that the Bears will go in to next season with Hanie as their only backup plan if Orton gets hurt or if Orton walks after next year.

Like I said, if they like Hanie enough, then get a vet to compete with Orton (Garcia, Collins, etc). Do not draft a QB unless you feel Hanie cannot be developed. I like what I saw from Hanie last yr, so I would not draft a QB unless you find value in a lower round (5 to 7).

Peace :dabears

Like I said, if they like Hanie enough, then get a vet to compete with Orton (Garcia, Collins, etc). Do not draft a QB unless you feel Hanie cannot be developed. I like what I saw from Hanie last yr, so I would not draft a QB unless you find value in a lower round (5 to 7).

I can see us signing Collins or Garcia for 2 years. This way, if Orton wins the starting job, whoever we draft (or Hanie) can learn some standing with Garcia or Collins on the sideline. If Garcia or Collins wins the job, Orton can sit back and watch what they do.

I can see us signing Collins or Garcia for 2 years. This way, if Orton wins the starting job, whoever we draft (or Hanie) can learn some standing with Garcia or Collins on the sideline. If Garcia or Collins wins the job, Orton can sit back and watch what they do.

Depending on how far he marches through the playoffs, I don't think Collins will be signing somewhere with the intention of being a backup.

I'm sorry. But, this is BS.

Really? You guys are really okay with Kyle going in as the unchallenged #1 QB next year? Frankly, I'm pissed. Did they not see the game yesterday? The guy absolutely cannot complete a pass over 20 yards!!! He cannot do it. If we ever find ourselves down and really needing to score against a solid defense, you can hang it up.

I think that he can be a solid QB. But, there is NO WAY that he has done enough to be above serious competion.

I know this is Chicago. But, c'mon. If we are really going to compete year after year, we need a real quarterback. We have to stop fooling ourselves. All of this "flash in the pan" stuff is not going to get it done. We don't need to draft OL first round. We don't need to draft WR or DB.

Of course, we'll never do it. But, I think we need to draft a big time quarterback and please get somebody to develop him. We already have Williams. We can slide St. Clair inside. Let Beekman compete for RG. Tait can be solid enough to not have to draft another lineman.

If we have a real QB, we can get a FA WR. I don't see drafting or signing a WR until we fix the QB position. We can get a DB in the second round.

I can't believe that you guys are okay with this mediocrity. I guess reality has settled in and I'm the one being unrealistic.

Really? You guys are really okay with Kyle going in as the unchallenged #1 QB next year? Frankly, I'm pissed. Did they not see the game yesterday? The guy absolutely cannot complete a pass over 20 yards!!! He cannot do it. If we ever find ourselves down and really needing to score against a solid defense, you can hang it up.

I think that he can be a solid QB. But, there is NO WAY that he has done enough to be above serious competion.

I know this is Chicago. But, c'mon. If we are really going to compete year after year, we need a real quarterback. We have to stop fooling ourselves. All of this "flash in the pan" stuff is not going to get it done. We don't need to draft OL first round. We don't need to draft WR or DB.

Of course, we'll never do it. But, I think we need to draft a big time quarterback and please get somebody to develop him. We already have Williams. We can slide St. Clair inside. Let Beekman compete for RG. Tait can be solid enough to not have to draft another lineman.

If we have a real QB, we can get a FA WR. I don't see drafting or signing a WR until we fix the QB position. We can get a DB in the second round.

I can't believe that you guys are okay with this mediocrity. I guess reality has settled in and I'm the one being unrealistic.

I think he means as of right now Orton is the starter because that's all he really can say. You can't talk about McNabb or any of those other guys because that's obviously tampering so what do you expect him to say?

I believe Orton did a great job this year considering who he had to throw to. I don't believe that he is above competition. IMHO no QB in the league is above competition except for Peyton Manning and his 9 years of 4000+ yards. If we can bring in some competition at WR and Orton and Hester spend this offseason together learning each other and Orton learns how to throw deep with some consistency I think everyone here would say that we would have a tough offense especially with the emergence of Forte and Olsen continuing to get better and better. I also believe our main focus needs to be Oline AND a safety. I absolutely love Mike Brown but we saw what happens when he gets hurt. He is the heart and soul of that secondary.

Well, to address this I'm going to look at a couple of the the best QB's in recent history in the league. I am in no way putting Orton on par with either. I want to make that perfectly clear before I start.

If you look back at 2006, the patriots had one of the worst receiving corps since Brady had been there. It was pretty comparable to what the Bears have at WR now. His numbers were down to a respectable 220 yards a game. He had the line that year but not the receivers. The next year they went and got Moss and Welker. Once he got both, he went crazy.

At the beginning of this year, Peyton Manning's Colts were missing a 3/5ths of his offensive line. He had the receivers, but struggled early with a depleted line comparable to the Bears. He started out the year very poorly.

If you look at the Bears, you have probably one of the worst receiving corps in the league. The Offensive line's starters are below par for the league. Behind that there is not much depth or young guys in training for their positions. Players like Tait and Kruetz are aging and a few other starters would probably be best as back ups.

Drafting a young guy and giving him a band aided OL and receivers that can't catch or get open isn't solving anything. Not many QB's that are drafted high and not given a decent supporting cast ever turn out. It makes me think of the upstart Texans with Carr, Couch with the Browns, or Alex Smith with San Fran. If a young guy is thrown out there with no surrounding talent, it can ruin their careers.

I'd like to see the Bears get this line built for the future, so I'm sold on OL in the draft early and often. If a WR they really feel can be special falls to us at one, then so be it. It's a massive need too. A young QB drafted early, in this media environment with high expectations and no surrounding talent will just be eaten alive.

I'm not big for Defensive Back early either. It's not easy to argue that the need isn't there when your team has the 30th ranked pass defense this year. The offense has just been neglected and stongly lacking in talent compared to defense, so it takes a higher priority to me.

Wow, reminds me of what New Yorkers were saying about Pennington

I'm sorry you feel this is BS.

What do you think of the Atlanta defense? Kyle led the team down the field to what would have been a game winning TD against them. He also led game tying drives against the Pack and NO. I know there defenses are suspect compared to Atlanta but he did perform under pressure.

IMHO QB is not the issue on this team. The issues are the horrible WRs, mediocre offensive line, and overpaid, underperforming defense. I am fine with Kyle next yr to see if he improves. If not, then move on. I am banking on him improving.

What do you think of the Atlanta defense? Kyle led the team down the field to what would have been a game winning TD against them. He also led game tying drives against the Pack and NO. I know there defenses are suspect compared to Atlanta but he did perform under pressure.

IMHO QB is not the issue on this team. The issues are the horrible WRs, mediocre offensive line, and overpaid, underperforming defense. I am fine with Kyle next yr to see if he improves. If not, then move on. I am banking on him improving.

Atlanta's defense finished 24th overall. GB, NO, and ATL all have suspect defenses.

Well, to address this I'm going to look at a couple of the the best QB's in recent history in the league. I am in no way putting Orton on par with either. I want to make that perfectly clear before I start.

If you look back at 2006, the patriots had one of the worst receiving corps since Brady had been there. It was pretty comparable to what the Bears have at WR now. His numbers were down to a respectable 220 yards a game. He had the line that year but not the receivers. The next year they went and got Moss and Welker. Once he got both, he went crazy.

At the beginning of this year, Peyton Manning's Colts were missing a 3/5ths of his offensive line. He had the receivers, but struggled early with a depleted line comparable to the Bears. He started out the year very poorly.

If you look at the Bears, you have probably one of the worst receiving corps in the league. The Offensive line's starters are below par for the league. Behind that there is not much depth or young guys in training for their positions. Players like Tait and Kruetz are aging and a few other starters would probably be best as back ups.

Drafting a young guy and giving him a band aided OL and receivers that can't catch or get open isn't solving anything. Not many QB's that are drafted high and not given a decent supporting cast ever turn out. It makes me think of the upstart Texans with Carr, Couch with the Browns, or Alex Smith with San Fran. If a young guy is thrown out there with no surrounding talent, it can ruin their careers.

I'd like to see the Bears get this line built for the future, so I'm sold on OL in the draft early and often. If a WR they really feel can be special falls to us at one, then so be it. It's a massive need too. A young QB drafted early, in this media environment with high expectations and no surrounding talent will just be eaten alive.

I'm not big for Defensive Back early either. It's not easy to argue that the need isn't there when your team has the 30th ranked pass defense this year. The offense has just been neglected and stongly lacking in talent compared to defense, so it takes a higher priority to me.

Good points. But here's the deal. There was never a question of whether or not Tom Brady could make all of the throws including the deep ball. Of course the same goes for Peyton Manning. Brady just needed someone to actually catch the ball. Now of course we need guys that can catch as well. But, what good does signing Ocho or TJ do if they run downfield, as open as you can expect late in the season, and the ball never makes it to him? I've found myself hoping for a pass interference call every time a WR goes downfield. For some reason, actually completing a deep ball really never came to mind.

Also, regardless of WRs, Brady was controlling his division, going to and winning Super Bowls. Heck, if you back up a little bit, the Pats would probably never be where they are if they didn't actually create real competition for Drew Bledsoe, who was a much better QB than Kyle Orton with a far greater track record. But, he still wasn't above competition.

For some reason, we feel that we have to coddle our QB's fragile egos. We did it for Rex last year and we're planning on doing the same for Kyle next year.

Again, I believe this is BS and reeks of mediocrity. This guy is, in no shape or form, good enough to be above competition. But, for some reason our management doesn't think enough of the quarterback position to ensure we have enough talent there.

I still think we need to draft and groom a big-time quarterback.

Atlanta's defense??? New Orleans'??? Gimme a break. But, let's use their team as a case in point.

Last year, Atlanta was one of the biggest jokes in the league. Now, these guys are in the playoffs, finished 11-5 and almost won their division. I live in Atlanta, so I watch and follow them as well. Last year, everyone used to talk about how terrible their offensive line was. It's funny how a good quarterback/running back combination can make an offensive line look good. We have the running back. We just drafted a premier pass protector. We just need a "passer" for them to protect.

I don't understand why nobody wants a quarterback. Please don't say Garcia. I'm tired of the old rundown QB approach, ie Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler. Again, let's draft a guy and develop him. Why is that such a crazy idea?????

Atlanta's defense??? New Orleans'??? Gimme a break. But, let's use their team as a case in point.

Last year, Atlanta was one of the biggest jokes in the league. Now, these guys are in the playoffs, finished 11-5 and almost won their division. I live in Atlanta, so I watch and follow them as well. Last year, everyone used to talk about how terrible their offensive line was. It's funny how a good quarterback/running back combination can make an offensive line look good. We have the running back. We just drafted a premier pass protector. We just need a "passer" for them to protect.

I don't understand why nobody wants a quarterback. Please don't say Garcia. I'm tired of the old rundown QB approach, ie Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler. Again, let's draft a guy and develop him. Why is that such a crazy idea?????

Thats an easy question to answer (in terms of drafting a QB): The Bears have not drafted a good QB since Jimmy Mac. That was over 25 years ago.

The only hope for this team, it seems, is to sign FA QB.

And Matt Cassel proved he is very capable of making good decisions, can make all the throws and is a leader. The guy didnt throw a competitive pass since high school and look what he did. The team that signs him will be set for 10 years.

I would throw the bank at him, as he is a franchise QB. Take a damn chance.

Thats an easy question to answer (in terms of drafting a QB): The Bears have not drafted a good QB since Jimmy Mac. That was over 25 years ago.

The only hope for this team, it seems, is to sign FA QB.

And Matt Cassel proved he is very capable of making good decisions, can make all the throws and is a leader. The guy didnt throw a competitive pass since high school and look what he did. The team that signs him will be set for 10 years.

I would throw the bank at him, as he is a franchise QB. Take a damn chance.

F*** that noise. Im sorry, Matt Cassell was thrown in as QB for a team that went UNDEFEATED last year. You put him on the Bears this year(or next), and I bet he is ridden out of town on the Jonathan Quinn rail.

Cassell has talent, but Im not ready to crown him as a franchise QB when he has a season handed to him on a silver platter

F*** that noise. Im sorry, Matt Cassell was thrown in as QB for a team that went UNDEFEATED last year. You put him on the Bears this year(or next), and I bet he is ridden out of town on the Jonathan Quinn rail.

Cassell has talent, but Im not ready to crown him as a franchise QB when he has a season handed to him on a silver platter

They went undefeated because of Brady. Make no mistake about it. He is the best QB since Montana. Maybe the greatest ever.

Put Kyle on the Patriots and all those bombs completed to Moss 60 yards downfield never happen.

If Cassell is on the Bears, at least a legitimate deep threat is established. Then we have a running game to complement a deep passing threat. That can make for a good offense.

Cassell is also more mobile then Kyle.

We could have signed Brees after his breakout season in San Diego and didnt.

We could have signed Matt Schaub and didnt.

If you dont learn from the past, history is bound to repeat itself. I dont want the Bears to make the same mistake. To not even look into Cassells demand would be just unacceptable.

They went undefeated because of Brady. Make no mistake about it. He is the best QB since Montana. Maybe the greatest ever.

Put Kyle on the Patriots and all those bombs completed to Moss 60 yards downfield never happen.

If Cassell is on the Bears, at least a legitimate deep threat is established. Then we have a running game to complement a deep passing threat. That can make for a good offense.

Cassell is also more mobile then Kyle.

We could have signed Brees after his breakout season in San Diego and didnt.

We could have signed Matt Schaub and didnt.

If you dont learn from the past, history is bound to repeat itself. I dont want the Bears to make the same mistake. To not even look into Cassells demand would be just unacceptable.

No, the deep ball is not there because Moss isnt there, not because of Cassell. Cassell was, once again, handed the reigns to an undefeated team with an all pro line, wide reciever, and a great compliment of running backs. He doesnt have anything near that stability with the Bears.

It would be a disaster. But you can hope for it, thats fine.

No, the deep ball is not there because Moss isnt there, not because of Cassell. Cassell was, once again, handed the reigns to an undefeated team with an all pro line, wide reciever, and a great compliment of running backs. He doesnt have anything near that stability with the Bears.

It would be a disaster. But you can hope for it, thats fine.

I will have to hope, because the Bears would never do it anyway.

Nothing that you say, however, will take away from the fact that Kyle does not have the ability to stretch the field. So any receiver brought in will have to stop 30 yards downfield.

I just want a QB that can maximize perhaps our ONLY current WR threat and that is Hester. More specifiacally Hester's ability to beat coverage downfield which he did at least 10-15 times this year but we didnt have the QB who could get him the ball deep.

You cant rely on pass interference in order get chunks of yards on one play.

I will have to hope, because the Bears would never do it anyway.

Nothing that you say, however, will take away from the fact that Kyle does not have the ability to stretch the field. So any receiver brought in will have to stop 30 yards downfield.

I just want a QB that can maximize perhaps our ONLY current WR threat and that is Hester. More specifiacally Hester's ability to beat coverage downfield which he did at least 10-15 times this year but we didnt have the QB who could get him the ball deep.

You cant rely on pass interference in order get chunks of yards on one play.

For the most part, I agree with all of this. I just disagree with putting all of my eggs in Matt Cassells basket, considering the situation he is in this year, and his history going back to high school.

If it was Jake Delhomme coming from the Saints or Drew Brees coming from the Chargers, there is a legitimate beef there, but Cassell (to me) is the product of what the Patriots system can do