Vasher to be cut? Tillman to FS?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

They cant go after a guy like Asomugha considering how much money they have invested in the position already. You cant pay three corners that kind of money and even if we cut Vasher we would have the cap hit. I could see us drafting a corner or going after a middle of the road type guy in FA, just not the best one out there.

Agreed about Asomugha. I love to have him, but we already have one of the highest paid defenses in the league, and we aren't very good. I don't see how throwing even more money at the problem will fix it.

I want to see us continue drafting corners. Don't forget that Zach Bowman will be back.

Agreed about Asomugha. I love to have him, but we already have one of the highest paid defenses in the league, and we aren't very good. I don't see how throwing even more money at the problem will fix it.

I want to see us continue drafting corners. Don't forget that Zach Bowman will be back.

I think Zack Bowman is actually going to be good so i dont think we should sleep on him just yet.

No, it would be 4.7. He got a 9.5 million signing bonus which spread out over 5 years is exactly 1.9 million a year. So, he has 7.6 million left in bonuses, but if you subtract his salary for 09/10 from that, 2.9 million, and the amount he would make in bonuses anyway, it comes to a total of 2.8 million that we'd lose. So, we'd owe him 7.6 million, but in all reality, we'd only lose 2.8 million in cap, or we could spread that out over 2 seasons as you said.

Considering he's come in out of shape the past two years, played like shit, and JA probably wants to make an example, it makes a lot of sense that Vasher could be and will be cut.

From Rotoworld:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/25/2007: Signed a five-year, $28 million contract extension through 2012. The deal included a $9.5 million signing bonus. 2008: $750,000 (+ $2.5 million roster bonus), 2009: $2.9 million, 2010: $2.95 million, 2011: $3.45 million, 2012: $3.7 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap Charges: $5.2 million (2008), $4.65 million (2009), $4.75 million (2010), $5.2 million (2011), $5.33 million (2012).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's $19.93M cap remaining minus $13M salary = $6.93M total cap hit.

He only got a 9.5 million signing bonus, that's all we have to pay. If my understanding of contracts is correct, when a player gets cut, they only get what their signing bonus was. So any roster bonuses they might have, or workout bonuses don't get paid because they won't be on the roster or working out with the team anymore. They don't get any other bonuses owed to them. Also, a signing bonus is almost always spread out evenly throughout the length of a contract.

Like I previously stated, he's got 7.6 million left from his signing bonus, but because he would have been making 4.8 million anyway, we only add an extra 2.8 million to the cap.

Now, if you know something I don't, please tell me. I'm no expert on this stuff, so there is a chance I am wrong, but I am fairly certain.

Also, if you do the math, you would see that rotoworld's numbers don't add up.

We need LT to help clarify this for us.

He only got a 9.5 million signing bonus, that's all we have to pay. If my understanding of contracts is correct, when a player gets cut, they only get what their signing bonus was. So any roster bonuses they might have, or workout bonuses don't get paid because they won't be on the roster or working out with the team anymore. They don't get any other bonuses owed to them. Also, a signing bonus is almost always spread out evenly throughout the length of a contract.

Like I previously stated, he's got 7.6 million left from his signing bonus, but because he would have been making 4.8 million anyway, we only add an extra 2.8 million to the cap.

Now, if you know something I don't, please tell me. I'm no expert on this stuff, so there is a chance I am wrong, but I am fairly certain.

Also, if you do the math, you would see that rotoworld's numbers don't add up.

We need LT to help clarify this for us.

The problem with all this is that next year is the last capped year unless they get a new agreement between the union and the league between now and the end of this offseason. That means you cannot push his cap hit into future years when cutting or trading him, it would all hit next year. So I just cannot see us cutting him and taking the full cap hit of whatever the bonus proration is on his guaranteed money. Same goes for all of our aging highly paid underachievers. If there is no agreement made, 2010 will be uncapped and that will make for a very interesting year...