Kurt Warner

Wesson44

REPORT: WARNER LOOKING FOR $9M PER YEAR

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on February 1, 2009, 3:27 p.m.

With Kurt Warner a little more than three hours away from starting his third Super Bowl, details about what he could be looking for in free agency continue to emerge.

According to NFL Network’s Adam Schefter, Warner wants a two-year deal worth about $9 million per year.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen also reported today that Warner wants two years.

Of course, as Aaron Wilson pointed out earlier, Warner hasn’t even decided whether he wants to play anywhere next season.

Meanwhile, rumors that Warner’s offensive coordinator Todd Haley is heading to Kansas City continue to swirl.

According to Mortensen, while Haley has not been allowed to interview with the Chiefs yet, he spent a significant time on the phone during the week trying to get a coaching staff in place.

REPORT: WARNER LOOKING FOR $9M PER YEAR

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on February 1, 2009, 3:27 p.m.

With Kurt Warner a little more than three hours away from starting his third Super Bowl, details about what he could be looking for in free agency continue to emerge.

According to NFL Network’s Adam Schefter, Warner wants a two-year deal worth about $9 million per year.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen also reported today that Warner wants two years.

Of course, as Aaron Wilson pointed out earlier, Warner hasn’t even decided whether he wants to play anywhere next season.

Meanwhile, rumors that Warner’s offensive coordinator Todd Haley is heading to Kansas City continue to swirl.

According to Mortensen, while Haley has not been allowed to interview with the Chiefs yet, he spent a significant time on the phone during the week trying to get a coaching staff in place.

Warner a 2 yr deal for 9 million a yr ? Seems awfully low to me. If I was his agent I would not agree to anything less than 2 yrs and 25 mill.

Didn't washed up Favre make 12 million last yr with the Jets ? If Warner comes back it will be for more than 9 mill a yr. especially after coming off a MVP season.

A lot of people see Kurt Warner as very dependent on the system. Because he's so old it limits the teams that are really willing to pay up to pretty much only the teams that feel they are a QB away from the Superbowl AND where their offensive system and OL protection matches up with Warner's needs. That lack of demand for him should drive his price down. Also, Favre, one of the best QB's of all time, was on the end of his contract signed years ago and he was traded, not a free agent situation. So that comparison is apples to oranges. Also, many people even believe Favre will be let go this season even though his team more than doubled their win total from the previous season after Favre joined while the team he left only managed to win 1/3 of the games they won the previous year with Favre at the helm. If the Jets let release him, it'll be because 12M is too much.

On the other hand, Warner played two really great games in the NFC championship and the Super Bowl. How a player performs in big games can make a big difference. He also has 3 super bowls of experience on his resume.

Why would you even want him?

He's never played well in cold weather and he's never even played on a team that is a cold weather city.

And if he came here, he wouldn't have Fitzgerald, Boldin, and/or Breaston. Nobody on this current Bears team is even close to any of those 3 Cardinals' WR's.

Why would you even want him?

He's never played well in cold weather and he's never even played on a team that is a cold weather city.

And if he came here, he wouldn't have Fitzgerald, Boldin, and/or Breaston. Nobody on this current Bears team is even close to any of those 3 Cardinals' WR's.

I don't think anybody in this thread said the Bears should want him (for that price). If the Bears D had played the way they used to be able to, I'd say we would be one of those teams that could use a Super Bowl ready QB right away, but we're not, and Kyle is much, much cheaper and has developed well, giving hope for even more development in the future ...especially considering last season was his first as a legitimate (non-injury) starter.

Kurt Warner is a great quarterback with the right system. He would suck in Chicago where they favor the run over the pass + we have nobody on the receiving corp. He should stay in Arizona for another year or two and see if he can make another run at the Super Bowl- he should have gotten another ring tonight.

I have said it several times now. Warner would hate it here even if we offered him $15 mil a year because he MUST have an oline that can protect. Without the Oline protecting him he starts fumbling the ball and making really bad throws. Take a look at what happend to him the last 2 years that he was in St. Louis and also the year that he was with the NYG.

I don't think anybody in this thread said the Bears should want him (for that price). If the Bears D had played the way they used to be able to, I'd say we would be one of those teams that could use a Super Bowl ready QB right away, but we're not, and Kyle is much, much cheaper and has developed well, giving hope for even more development in the future ...especially considering last season was his first as a legitimate (non-injury) starter.

Well, the subtitle of the thread is "Is the price too high for the Bears?" or something along those lines.

So yes, any price is too high for the Bears when talking about Warner because he wouldn't be good here because of the weather, our WR's, and our OL.

Warner does a really good job, but I fail to see how bringing him in would be that great of a plan. Yes, he'd be the best QB in the history of the franchise but he doesn't exactly have weapons and last I looked we were trying to develop a franchise QB, not get a guy who might have a year or two left.

Bringing in a guy like Warner would also hamstring the Bears to needing to draft a QB immediately, because it would consign Orton to the bench. Warner at most has 2 years left, right? Orton has 1 year left on his contract. If we consign Orton to the bench, he's almost certain to leave next offseason; the Bears aren't spending $15 million to franchise a backup, and Orton won't be staying in a place where he won't have a good chance to start right away based on his adequate performance last season.

So, you quarterback process would go: 2009, Warner, Orton, Hanie, 2010, Warner Hanie, 2011 Hanie.

I can understand bringing in competition or a backup. I can't understand how bringing in Warner is thinking long term for this team.