Pace Visits Bears

Dabears33

First, when you say other teams develop "late round" OL, I am not sure how true that is. While there no question are examples, I am not nearly as sure there are tons of 6th and 7th round picked OL starting in the NFL. If we had spent a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks on OL who failed to develop, I would far more agree w/ you. But take a look at the OL we have drafted, and I think you will find the majority were in the 6th and 7th rounds, or were undrafted rookie FAs we brought in. While I am NOT going to defend our OL coach, at the same time, I am not sure how much we can bust his chops for not developing 6th/7th rounders.

Second, I hear all the time about how we do not play rookies, and I am just not sure how true that is. I could be wrong on some, but didn't all these players start at some point during their rookie seasons?

- Columbo

- Alex Brown

- Tillman

- Briggs

- Tommie Harris

- Tank Johnson

- Berrian

- Orton

- Chris Harris

- McBride

- Forte

On top of that, I would point out Williams was slated to start but was injured prior. Further still, I would add into that list the following players, who may not have started, but played significant minutes their rookie years: Bobby Gray, Todd Johnson, Ian Scott, Wade, Gage, Vasher, DM, Hester, Anderson, Olsen, Harrison, Steltz.

I think we got a bad reputation because we don't (at least not usually) simply hand the job over to the rookie, but make them first earn it. I think that was especially seen w/ Benson. Many screamed about our not playing Bennett, but then we recently read all the reports (including from Bennett himself) that he simply couldn't get down the playbook. Its one thing to still be learning, but if you do not even know the plays called in the huddle, it is harder to argue that player should be on the field. I think we do in fact play our rookies, and have zero issue w/ the concept of making a rookie "show up" before handing them the job.

Third, I see a difference this year looking at Britton as opposed to Williams last year. I know what you mean, but this is something I would point out. Britton is a highly graded out RT, but the value of RTs is simply not as high. In fact, I might even argue he is the top graded RT, as all OTs likely to be drafted in front of him are viewed as LTs. To me, Britton is more similar to Cherilous from last year, who I think was regarded as the top graded RT.

Fourth, you and many seem to argue in the extremes. You talk about our 1st round pick and late round picks, but I am arguing just as much for the in between. Why can we not spend 2nd or 3rd round picks on OL? Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? If we add veterans, then I understand the need drops some in the draft, but does it have to go from 1st to 7th? Why can't we add a 2nd or 3rd rounder to compete w/ and or develop behind the stop gap veteran signed?

Nfo is this more an indictment of JA or the offensive line coach who has yet to develop any of the Bears OL they have drafted?Lots of teams take late round lineman and turn them into seviceable players but Heastand(sp?) doesn't.Beekman is the first guy drafted by the Bears to actually make the starting lineup.I still get sick seeing Colombo do okay in Dallas and then the very next time JA takes a first round OL he gets injured.Would you be so gungho about going after another guy so soon?At 18 what will be available at OT the 4th rated prospect at the position.Isn' that similar to what we got last season in Williams?With this offensive staff this might be the only way to go because all rookies have trouble seeing the field with Forte being the exception.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic