Who do our rookies compare to?

nfoligno

Okay, a friend and I were talking about our picks, and what NFL players we might compare them too. Understand, I am not saying our picks will become, are as good, or will end up like those they are compared to. I might see similar traits, or actually feel the upside is comparable. Anyway, here are some thoughts.

Jarron Gilbert

The player that comes to mind for me is Richard Seymour. Gilbert is 6'5 290. Seymour is 6'6 310, but as I recall, Saymour was lighter coming out of college, and gained weight to play in a 3-4, which Gilbert could easily do. Seymour was always considered very athletic and very versatile. I remember the belief that he could play as a true 4-3 DT, 4-3 LDE or a 3-4 DE. I have read the same about Gilbert, who has experience playing all over the DL, and moving to the NFL, could play just about anywhere. He has the frame to easily add some weight to play a position that stresses power, or maintain/reduce weight to play outside. In our system, which stresses ligher/quicker DTs, he likely doesn't need to do much w/ his weight. Seymour shows excellent combination of burst and strength, and I think Gilbert does the same. While the two will play different roles in the NFL, I see similarities in they athleticism/power/versatility.

Juaquin Iglesias

I had been thinking Iglesias somewhere between Booker and Boldin. He has the traits of booker (booker of old) in that he is a great route runner w/ sticky glue hands who always seems to find space, but I think he has better YAC ability than Booker, though not as much as Boldin. Then my friend threw out the name TJ Housyourmama, and it sounds about right.

TJ is 6'1 200, while Iglesias is 6'1 210. Both are considered very good possession or possession plus WRs who lack elite speed. TJ is incredible in route running and hands, and tracks the ball very well. Also, while he is not a threat to to every pass to the house, he does well running after the catch, using both power and field awareness to find space. This is just how I would evaluate Iglesias.

Henry Melton

While I think Melton has a LONG way to go, the player I think about is actually already on the Bears. Alex Brown. Melton is considered very athletic, but due to being so raw and the lack of production, he fell to the 4th round. Brown too was considered very athletic, but due to questions of motivation and committment, as well as attitude, he fell to the 4th round as well.

I have never felt Brown was all that in terms of pass rush. He ends up with 5 or 6 sacks, but often those sacks seem to come in bunches. He will have a game here and there where he does well attacking the QB, but is not what I would consider a consistent pass rusher. Despite his size, Brown is actually solid against the run though. Brown's athleticism translates far better in run defense than in pass rush. I think the same is true for Melton. Melton has a very strong lower base. Just think about a RB. Usually have a solid and strong lower body, especially power runners like Melton was. That can translate to the run defense, where you are using leverage and lower body power to fight off your block and make a play against the ball carrier. His athleticism does not translate however to the pass rush. Despite what he does in shorts, on a track surface, that explosion just wasn't there when the pads went on. Against the run, Melton did pretty well, and was part of a very good Texas run defense. In terms of pass rush though, rarely could he beat his man. He just didn't have the burst to beat his man on the edge, nor the ability to get inside. Solid when the play comes to him (run defense) but just not much when he has to move to the ball (pass rush).

If Melton became Alex Brown, I think everyone would be thrilled. I simply (a) do not see him being the pass rusher many try to make him out to be and (B) think he will take considerable time to develop (if at all) due to just how raw he is.

DJ Moore

This comparison was from my friend, but I like it. Cortland Finnegan (Tenn). Finnigan is listed at 5'10 190, but most say that is a generous 5'10, and more likely in the 5'9 and change range. So while he may be a hair taller, the difference is minimal, and the overall body for the two are very similar.

Finnigan plays a very physical game, despite his size. He plays strong against receivers, and is strong in run support. While short, he plays bigger than he is. All of these are traits I have read about for Moore. Finnigan is a playmaker, as Moore is considered as well. While i am still not 100% on Moore's wagon, I like the comparison, see similarities, and would be absolutely thrilled if this is the sort of player Moore could become for us.

Johnney Knox

The comparison I would make is Devery Henderson. Both are 5'11, and while Henderson is a bit heavier, I believe he too was in the 185-190 range coming out of college. Both are elite speed threats who lacked route running refinement entering the NFL. Henderson has never developed his route running very well, and is still today simply a deep threat WR, but what a threat. This past season, for example, he had only 32 catches, but for nearly 800 yards and nearly a 25 ypc average. Henderson may never be a consistent WR, but as a deep threat, he is tremenous. I think Knox is similar. He has played at a JUCO, and then a DII school, and was able to beat DBs w/ his pure speed, but in the NFL, will have to develop his route running better. Right out of college, he can add a deep dimension to our team, but will likely be a role player, at least initially. One major difference between the two is, Knox is considered to have solid hands, while Henderson drops a lot of balls. Further, while Henderson never really developed his game, Knox I think does have the potential to do so.

Right now, I think Henderson is a good comparison. Deep threat WR who is not consistent. If Knox can develop better as a route runner, the comparison I might throw out there is Joey Galloway, also 5'11 and similar weight/speed. Knox must develop to be like Galloway, which is why I compare him now to Henderson, but whether he turns out to be Henderson or Galloway, either way, I think he could make an impact for us.

Marcus Freeman

Honestly, don't know. Freeman has tremendous athleticism. In fact, he was originally a SLB, but was moved to WLB because (a) he struggled to shed blocks and (B) the team wanted to better utilize his speed and athleticism. I just am not sure who to compare him too, as frankly, many LBs seem to fit such a description.

Al Afalava

Archuleta? Both are nearly idential in height/weight. Both are considered box safeties who lack coverage skills. Arch was essentially a 4th LB on the field. I don't know if Afalava has that sort of upside, but I think their size and playing style are similar.

Lance Louis

No idea. It really depends on what we intend to use him as. Will he be a FB? A blocking TE? An OG?

Derek Kinder

Hines Ward? I guess it depends on whether or not he can return to pre-injury form, but prior to the injury, this is the WR I think he would have compared to. Both 6' 205-215 range. Both lack elite speed, but play a physical style. Solid route running and great hands. While Kinder is coming off a less than stellar season, I love the mental makeup of a kid trying to play coming off an injury. He wasn't 100%, but gave 100%. If he gets back to pre-injury form, this is a comparison I would make (though he would be Ward light). If he can't revert back to pre-injury form, he won't be on the roster, and it doesn't matter.

Jarron Gilbert = Steve McMichael. Tough, quick can get to the QB and stuff the run

Juaquin Iglesias = Jeff Graham. Great possession guy.

Henry Melton = Trace Armstrong, great hustle...should be able to get to the QB and cause havok.

DJ Moore = Donnell Woolford, great intncts

Johnney Knox = Willie Gault, but with better hands!

Marcus Freeman = Wilbur Marshall. Relentless, Terminator-like!

Al Afalava = Doug Plank. He'll put the big hit on any opponet!

Lance Louis = Bronko Nagurski. Convert to a FB, and he will just punish D linemen and open holes biger than Emmit Smith ever saw!

Derek Kinder = Tom Waddle. Dude will just catch the big plays and take a hit!

OK, I'll put the kool-aid away.... :cheers

Okay, a friend and I were talking about our picks, and what NFL players we might compare them too. Understand, I am not saying our picks will become, are as good, or will end up like those they are compared to. I might see similar traits, or actually feel the upside is comparable. Anyway, here are some thoughts.

Jarron Gilbert

The player that comes to mind for me is Richard Seymour. Gilbert is 6'5 290. Seymour is 6'6 310, but as I recall, Saymour was lighter coming out of college, and gained weight to play in a 3-4, which Gilbert could easily do. Seymour was always considered very athletic and very versatile. I remember the belief that he could play as a true 4-3 DT, 4-3 LDE or a 3-4 DE. I have read the same about Gilbert, who has experience playing all over the DL, and moving to the NFL, could play just about anywhere. He has the frame to easily add some weight to play a position that stresses power, or maintain/reduce weight to play outside. In our system, which stresses ligher/quicker DTs, he likely doesn't need to do much w/ his weight. Seymour shows excellent combination of burst and strength, and I think Gilbert does the same. While the two will play different roles in the NFL, I see similarities in they athleticism/power/versatility.

Juaquin Iglesias

I had been thinking Iglesias somewhere between Booker and Boldin. He has the traits of booker (booker of old) in that he is a great route runner w/ sticky glue hands who always seems to find space, but I think he has better YAC ability than Booker, though not as much as Boldin. Then my friend threw out the name TJ Housyourmama, and it sounds about right.

TJ is 6'1 200, while Iglesias is 6'1 210. Both are considered very good possession or possession plus WRs who lack elite speed. TJ is incredible in route running and hands, and tracks the ball very well. Also, while he is not a threat to to every pass to the house, he does well running after the catch, using both power and field awareness to find space. This is just how I would evaluate Iglesias.

Henry Melton

While I think Melton has a LONG way to go, the player I think about is actually already on the Bears. Alex Brown. Melton is considered very athletic, but due to being so raw and the lack of production, he fell to the 4th round. Brown too was considered very athletic, but due to questions of motivation and committment, as well as attitude, he fell to the 4th round as well.

I have never felt Brown was all that in terms of pass rush. He ends up with 5 or 6 sacks, but often those sacks seem to come in bunches. He will have a game here and there where he does well attacking the QB, but is not what I would consider a consistent pass rusher. Despite his size, Brown is actually solid against the run though. Brown's athleticism translates far better in run defense than in pass rush. I think the same is true for Melton. Melton has a very strong lower base. Just think about a RB. Usually have a solid and strong lower body, especially power runners like Melton was. That can translate to the run defense, where you are using leverage and lower body power to fight off your block and make a play against the ball carrier. His athleticism does not translate however to the pass rush. Despite what he does in shorts, on a track surface, that explosion just wasn't there when the pads went on. Against the run, Melton did pretty well, and was part of a very good Texas run defense. In terms of pass rush though, rarely could he beat his man. He just didn't have the burst to beat his man on the edge, nor the ability to get inside. Solid when the play comes to him (run defense) but just not much when he has to move to the ball (pass rush).

If Melton became Alex Brown, I think everyone would be thrilled. I simply (a) do not see him being the pass rusher many try to make him out to be and (B) think he will take considerable time to develop (if at all) due to just how raw he is.

DJ Moore

This comparison was from my friend, but I like it. Cortland Finnegan (Tenn). Finnigan is listed at 5'10 190, but most say that is a generous 5'10, and more likely in the 5'9 and change range. So while he may be a hair taller, the difference is minimal, and the overall body for the two are very similar.

Finnigan plays a very physical game, despite his size. He plays strong against receivers, and is strong in run support. While short, he plays bigger than he is. All of these are traits I have read about for Moore. Finnigan is a playmaker, as Moore is considered as well. While i am still not 100% on Moore's wagon, I like the comparison, see similarities, and would be absolutely thrilled if this is the sort of player Moore could become for us.

Johnney Knox

The comparison I would make is Devery Henderson. Both are 5'11, and while Henderson is a bit heavier, I believe he too was in the 185-190 range coming out of college. Both are elite speed threats who lacked route running refinement entering the NFL. Henderson has never developed his route running very well, and is still today simply a deep threat WR, but what a threat. This past season, for example, he had only 32 catches, but for nearly 800 yards and nearly a 25 ypc average. Henderson may never be a consistent WR, but as a deep threat, he is tremenous. I think Knox is similar. He has played at a JUCO, and then a DII school, and was able to beat DBs w/ his pure speed, but in the NFL, will have to develop his route running better. Right out of college, he can add a deep dimension to our team, but will likely be a role player, at least initially. One major difference between the two is, Knox is considered to have solid hands, while Henderson drops a lot of balls. Further, while Henderson never really developed his game, Knox I think does have the potential to do so.

Right now, I think Henderson is a good comparison. Deep threat WR who is not consistent. If Knox can develop better as a route runner, the comparison I might throw out there is Joey Galloway, also 5'11 and similar weight/speed. Knox must develop to be like Galloway, which is why I compare him now to Henderson, but whether he turns out to be Henderson or Galloway, either way, I think he could make an impact for us.

Marcus Freeman

Honestly, don't know. Freeman has tremendous athleticism. In fact, he was originally a SLB, but was moved to WLB because (a) he struggled to shed blocks and (B) the team wanted to better utilize his speed and athleticism. I just am not sure who to compare him too, as frankly, many LBs seem to fit such a description.

Al Afalava

Archuleta? Both are nearly idential in height/weight. Both are considered box safeties who lack coverage skills. Arch was essentially a 4th LB on the field. I don't know if Afalava has that sort of upside, but I think their size and playing style are similar.

Lance Louis

No idea. It really depends on what we intend to use him as. Will he be a FB? A blocking TE? An OG?

Derek Kinder

Hines Ward? I guess it depends on whether or not he can return to pre-injury form, but prior to the injury, this is the WR I think he would have compared to. Both 6' 205-215 range. Both lack elite speed, but play a physical style. Solid route running and great hands. While Kinder is coming off a less than stellar season, I love the mental makeup of a kid trying to play coming off an injury. He wasn't 100%, but gave 100%. If he gets back to pre-injury form, this is a comparison I would make (though he would be Ward light). If he can't revert back to pre-injury form, he won't be on the roster, and it doesn't matter.

Nfo I can pretty much agree with your assessments I might tweek just a couple by comparing Iglesias to Mark Bradley by saying he is not is fast but may be tougher and a better route runner maybe even simlar to another former Sooner Mark Clayton.

When I think of Freeman I think of N'all Diggs another former Buckeye.Btw this pick seemed oddly similar to Lance Briggs also.I hear a lot of talk about moving other players but do they think Briggs can play the SLB? I do.

Melton still has me wanting to compare him to Texans 2nd round pick Conner Barwin who has about the same amount of experience at the position

DJ Moore reminds me a lot of Ahmad Plummer

Johnny Knox reminds me of a prospect that came out a couple of years ago out of Hampton named Jerome Mathis who the Texans took in the mid rounds an he made an impact as a rookie in the return game.

I can only hope that the Bears have found a John Lynch in Afalava.

If Kinder can duplicate Marcus Colston numbers I'll be happy.

I had to think about this a bit but Gilbert reminds me of B-Rob. I always thought he should have played inside and never at DE because he wasn't quick enough and he seemed to take plays off at times which seems to be one of the knocks on Gilbert(He doesn't bring it on every play) Thats kind of a similar comment to what was said about Alex Brown coming out.

Nfo I can pretty much agree with your assessments I might tweek just a couple by comparing Iglesias to Mark Bradley by saying he is not is fast but may be tougher and a better route runner maybe even simlar to another former Sooner Mark Clayton.

Bradley? Honestly, I don't get that comparison. Hell, I would argue the only good point for comparison may be how opposite they are/were.

Bradley never started in college, and was VERY raw. Iglesias is a long term starter, and considered among the most polished and NFL ready WRs in the draft.

Bradley was all about athleticism and speed. Igleasias dropped in the draft due, more than any other single thing, to his lack of speed.

Bradley had questionable hands, at least as a prospect. Iglesias has sticky fingers.

These two WRs are, IMHO, near opposites.

When I think of Freeman I think of N'all Diggs another former Buckeye.Btw this pick seemed oddly similar to Lance Briggs also.I hear a lot of talk about moving other players but do they think Briggs can play the SLB? I do.

While I have seen Diggs play, and remember him, I don't recall him well enough to comment on the comparison.

Briggs at SLB? That would seem like a waste of talent IMHO. Not saying he can't play there, but I just think he would be wasted. Unless we change our scheme, the SLB is simply not a premier position. Rivera used to talk about how the SLB in our system is the grunt player who gets no respect. He has to eat up block to free up the other LBs, cover TEs, basically, the dirty work. The WLB is going to be more of a free lancer rolling to the ball, usually w/ fewer blocks in front of him. Briggs excels in this regard. Maybe Briggs could play SLB, but I just think it would be a waste. He is a pro bowl WLB. Why play him at a position which just doesn't have great upside in our system?

Melton still has me wanting to compare him to Texans 2nd round pick Conner Barwin who has about the same amount of experience at the position

Barwin represents a perfect example of why I am down on Melton. Correct me if I am wrong, but Barwin too was moved late in his college career to DE. In fact, he wasn't moved until his find year, right? Melton was at DE for two years (staring one). But the point is, in that one season at DE for Barwin, he had like 12 sacks and a ton of tackles. Melton? 4 sacks, none of which were that impressive.

Johnny Knox reminds me of a prospect that came out a couple of years ago out of Hampton named Jerome Mathis who the Texans took in the mid rounds an he made an impact as a rookie in the return game.

I think Knox has more upside than Mathis, who did contribute as a return man, but I don't think ever did jack as a WR.

Not sure if he has Lynch's pure power, which is why I mentioned Aruchuleta, who had more athleticism (which I do think Alfalfa has) combined nice power, but simply lacking coverage skills.

If any of our WRs could match Colston's numbers, I'd be happy, but I don't think Colston is similar to Kinder. Small difference in size. Colston is a legit 6'4 225-230 and plays even bigger than that.

I had to think about this a bit but Gilbert reminds me of B-Rob. I always thought he should have played inside and never at DE because he wasn't quick enough and he seemed to take plays off at times which seems to be one of the knocks on Gilbert(He doesn't bring it on every play) Thats kind of a similar comment to what was said about Alex Brown coming out.

BRob? BRob was never considered ultra athletic. He had decent athleticism for a man his size, but was never considered "that" athletic.

Bradley? Honestly, I don't get that comparison. Hell, I would argue the only good point for comparison may be how opposite they are/were.

Bradley never started in college, and was VERY raw. Iglesias is a long term starter, and considered among the most polished and NFL ready WRs in the draft.

Bradley was all about athleticism and speed. Igleasias dropped in the draft due, more than any other single thing, to his lack of speed.

Bradley had questionable hands, at least as a prospect. Iglesias has sticky fingers.

These two WRs are, IMHO, near opposites.

While I have seen Diggs play, and remember him, I don't recall him well enough to comment on the comparison.

Briggs at SLB? That would seem like a waste of talent IMHO. Not saying he can't play there, but I just think he would be wasted. Unless we change our scheme, the SLB is simply not a premier position. Rivera used to talk about how the SLB in our system is the grunt player who gets no respect. He has to eat up block to free up the other LBs, cover TEs, basically, the dirty work. The WLB is going to be more of a free lancer rolling to the ball, usually w/ fewer blocks in front of him. Briggs excels in this regard. Maybe Briggs could play SLB, but I just think it would be a waste. He is a pro bowl WLB. Why play him at a position which just doesn't have great upside in our system?

Barwin represents a perfect example of why I am down on Melton. Correct me if I am wrong, but Barwin too was moved late in his college career to DE. In fact, he wasn't moved until his find year, right? Melton was at DE for two years (staring one). But the point is, in that one season at DE for Barwin, he had like 12 sacks and a ton of tackles. Melton? 4 sacks, none of which were that impressive.

I think Knox has more upside than Mathis, who did contribute as a return man, but I don't think ever did jack as a WR.

Not sure if he has Lynch's pure power, which is why I mentioned Aruchuleta, who had more athleticism (which I do think Alfalfa has) combined nice power, but simply lacking coverage skills.

If any of our WRs could match Colston's numbers, I'd be happy, but I don't think Colston is similar to Kinder. Small difference in size. Colston is a legit 6'4 225-230 and plays even bigger than that.

BRob? BRob was never considered ultra athletic. He had decent athleticism for a man his size, but was never considered "that" athletic.

Supposedly in the Cover 2 the perfect trio would be 3 WLB type LB's according to Lovie. They are supposed to be interchangeable as is the safeties. Thats what I'm getting at. I once remember you saying that if Briggs wasn't playing next to Urlacher he wouldn't be that good. I guess you've changed that stance.

I not trying to go contrary to your thoughts but agree with just a litlle different spin on things. For instance you tried to match up body types and 40 times I tried to take players from the same program or a similar draft position or the prototype for the Bears' scheme. Like Iglesias,Bradley and Clayton all former Sooners and Freeman and Diggs from Ohio State. Afalava to Lynch who along with Bob Sanders are both the Best safeties who have recently played in the cover 2 and Kinder and Colston who were both drafted late in the 7th round.

As for B-Robs athletic ability all I know is when the Bears went to Green Bay the weekend of Payton's death he was athletic enough to block a kick and preserve a rare win at Lambeau during those days. Being athletic at San Jose State or in a swimming pool doesn't translate to Richard Seymour IMO.

Mathis couldn't do jack because he got injured.

Barwin's sacks were in the Big East which to me had only a couple of good teams with Cinci being one of them. Maybe I should find out how he fared against OT prospect Beatty at UConn. I think both he and Melton should be interesting studies in the coming years. This doesn't mean that I think that was a good pick because I don't. If they are looking for insurance against losing one of the DEs on the roster then I think they should have gotten a more game ready player.

Lets also add Illinois' Will Davis to the list of guys that switched from offense to DE. This one started off at WR and TE and was awesome in their Rose Bowl year but slacked off in his senior year because teams knew more about him and schemed for him.

Supposedly in the Cover 2 the perfect trio would be 3 WLB type LB's according to Lovie. They are supposed to be interchangeable as is the safeties. Thats what I'm getting at. I once remember you saying that if Briggs wasn't playing next to Urlacher he wouldn't be that good. I guess you've changed that stance.

One, I have said many times I was wrong on Briggs. Yes, I do still today believe his play is enhanced by Urlacher and our system, but that would be true of most players. As said so many times, I was wrong on Briggs.

Two, Honestly I do not recall Lovie ever saying he likes 3 WLBs for our system. What I recall though is, Rivera, when running Lovie's scheme, talked about the role of the SLB. And honestly, in all our years w/ Lovie's scheme, that seems far more true. When have we ever tried to insert a very athletic playmaker on the strong side? We have passed on adding LBs would would have been seen as athletic upgrades at SLB. We have gone w/ lesser athletes at the position, but ones solid in run support. We have used the SLB very much as the grunt role player, and taken him off the field on passing downs. I just disagree that our role for the SLB is that of a playmaker, and believe a player as talented as Briggs would be wasted at SLB.

I not trying to go contrary to your thoughts but agree with just a litlle different spin on things. For instance you tried to match up body types and 40 times I tried to take players from the same program or a similar draft position or the prototype for the Bears' scheme. Like Iglesias,Bradley and Clayton all former Sooners and Freeman and Diggs from Ohio State. Afalava to Lynch who along with Bob Sanders are both the Best safeties who have recently played in the cover 2 and Kinder and Colston who were both drafted late in the 7th round.

I tried to do more than simply match height/weight/40 times. I tried to match style.

Iglesias may come out of Oklahoma, just like Bradley and Clayton, but they are VERY different WRs. Just because two players went to the same school doesn't mean they are similar. Both Bradley and Iglesias may have both gone to Oklahoma, but they couldn't be more different.

As for the round, I don't get the comparison value there either. Colston and Kinder may have been drafted in the same round, but they are very different players. Would you say Crabtree and Harvin are similar WRs, or comparable, just because they were both drafted in the 1st round?

As for B-Robs athletic ability all I know is when the Bears went to Green Bay the weekend of Payton's death he was athletic enough to block a kick and preserve a rare win at Lambeau during those days. Being athletic at San Jose State or in a swimming pool doesn't translate to Richard Seymour IMO.

I remember well that play from Brob, and also remember Brob saying no one was more surprised than himself. In fact, he said he thought Walter came down from heaven to lift him up. Despite that great jump, Brob was simply never considered a very athletic big guy.

I realize jumping out of a swimming pool does not mean he is like Seymour. While I think it is cool as hell to watch, I don't think I have ever talked about his ability to jump out of a pool. I am talking about his style, and his style is very athletic. He mixed power w/ athleticism, and shows far more burst and explosion than a man his size should be capable of.

Measurables were a factor for me, but not "the" factor. I was far more talking about their style of play, and that is what I was trying to use as a comparable.

Barwin's sacks were in the Big East which to me had only a couple of good teams with Cinci being one of them. Maybe I should find out how he fared against OT prospect Beatty at UConn. I think both he and Melton should be interesting studies in the coming years. This doesn't mean that I think that was a good pick because I don't. If they are looking for insurance against losing one of the DEs on the roster then I think they should have gotten a more game ready player.

I realize Barwin didn't play against elite competition, but I think the point is still valid. Simply put, he showed pass rush ability on the field, rather than looking good in shorts and everyone assuming he can pass rush because of that. Oh, and by the way, Texas may be a major school, but they have plenty of teams on their schedule no better than that which Cincy played.

Lets also add Illinois' Will Davis to the list of guys that switched from offense to DE. This one started off at WR and TE and was awesome in their Rose Bowl year but slacked off in his senior year because teams knew more about him and schemed for him.

Honestly, I do not know a lot about Davis.

Hey, I never said my comparison are 100%, or close to it. I was looking at our rookies, and trying to think of players they reminded me of. I was not just using measurables, but how each play the game.