Looking for good open ended game

BearFan2000

Looking for some good open ended strategy/adventure type games for the Xbox360. The type of games where you have free reign to do as you please for the most part and can pick your own path/goals instead of being forced to follow one preset path.

One game I'm looking at is Fallout 3 which I've heard good things about. I picked up a copy of Sid Meir's Civilization Revolution and I've been hooked on that I like games that have depth and many choices and the choices you make have an effect but also provide multiple paths to victory. I'm by no means an avid hardcore gamer, I'm not to big on the first person shooters and overly complex games drive me nuts. After 12 hours at work the last thing I need is to get more frustrated. LOL. Back in the day I used to play this MMORPG game called The Realm where you pick your character, assign a set of attributes as you see fit then you play to level up as one of a variety of class of characters who each have different starting strengths and weaknesses. I guess the game still exists but it's strictly PC, no Mac version.

That one sounds pretty interesting and at that price it's worth taking a chance on.

Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure I will be picking up fallout 3.

Civilization Revolution is one I definitely recommend. It's a turn based game. I've played it exclusively for a few weeks now and have yet to encounter the same map twice. The competing civilizations are random and never in the same spots. Features multiple levels of play including a tutorial level. The game starts and you are on a land mass of which you can only see part of; the rest is shrouded in fog till you explore. You are only able to see the areas of the map that you've visited either by land or see or areas that have been revealed to you by information obtained from friendly villages or from conquering barbarian villages. At the start you have one settler unit which you can move and decide where to settle your first city which becomes your capitol (except on the tutorial level which your first city has already been started). Four paths to victory, Economic, Cultural, Technology, or good old fashioned domination. As the game progresses you choose which technologies your research and each new tech triggers new technologies to be discovered as well as new buildings, units (people, soldiers, naval, air, or land based military vehicles. Also throughout the game as you run into units or land belonging to other civilizations you have the ability to negotiate peace, war or trade of technology, etc. Early on you will be offered piece but as the game progresses more and more the offers will be peace for x number of turns in exchange for money or tech and your options are either accept (avoid the temptation to give in), counter offer (may or may not trigger war), outright refuse (triggers war), or consult your advisors (useless option you have two advisors one says give in the other says kick their arse, and you just end up right back at making your choice.

My first game on the tutorial level I wasn't even sure what I was doing but I over ran my opponents with Sherman tanks lol Granted if you can't win on the tutorial level you have no business playing this game. The levels are Chifant (sp?), Warlord, King, Emperor, and Deity I'm currently playing on King. For kicks I tried Deity twice, got my arse handed to me in 7 turns (turns 2-6 are simulated so I actually got defeated in 3 turns as they captured my capitol that I foolishly left unguarded). Second attempt at Deity I stuck around for much longer but found that the other 4 civs basically take turns harassing you and surrounding your cities as it seems like you begin the game as an undeveloped civ vs 4 developed civs. Obviously the higher level you play at the more critical it is to pick one victory strategy and put all your effort towards that.

One suggestion though turn the volume down on your advisors till you can barely hear them the text on the screen is what you need to read the advisors just annoyingly repeat the same unintelligible gibberish over and over add nauseam. Every verbalization you hear is gibberish and means nothing whether its supposed to be english or some other language and pointless so I just turn that volume either off or down really low or I just catch myself saying "Shut up!"

Economic Victory - reach a set amount of gold and build the world bank wonder

Cultural victory - develop set number of great people or flipped cities (opposing cities that decide to join your civ)

Technology - build the Apollo wonder, build, and launch a space station to arrive at Alpha Centuri

Domination - capture all four opposing capitols or be leading in the domination category by the year 2100 AD.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...