Oddball Observations

CrackerDog

OK, I know Cutler disappointed a lot of these fans but... Grow the f*ck up people. It wasn't just the dipshits in the stands either! The Broncos were playing this game like it was their Superbowl! Dancing around like a bunch of hopped-up leprechauns on crack with every tackle. Hey dillhole, your job is to tackle! Get over yourself!

Maybe it's the lack of oxygen to the brain...

Does the Broncos new head coach look like a high school kid or what? He'll either be great for them for the next 50 years or he's in WAY over his head!

Did one of the goal posts look crooked to you? I swear one of them looked like it needed a level put on it!

In the war of "shut up, no you shut up!"... Cutler won.

Our O Line is better than this. I know they are. But damn. And it wasn't just pressure on the QB. Forte only averaged 2.3 yards per carry. Denver's D has historically sucked donkey balls so this is a bit unnerving.

Knox made the team last night. And probably so did Davis and Peterson. I can't see them cutting the stuttering little man after his performance last night and Davis played well on teams. Even if he can't hang onto the ball as a WR, he'll probably be here on opening day.

Hester's return gave me a semi...

His fair catch earlier, however, was worthy of the death penalty. Man, this kid is stupid.

Can we just play with 4 TE's and forget about keeping ANY WR's?

Our starting D was still basically in the game when Brandstater did his John Elway impersonation. Anyone else concerned?

Briggs is still an animal. I'm damn glad we were able to keep him despite his dick moves of the past. All is forgiven!

If Peanut isn't back for opening day, and they aren't saying shit at Halas Hall to my knowledge, we better find a corner who can actually play this game. Rodgers will pick us apart.

Why does Cutler always have a "smack me" look on his face?

I swear to god, when they showed Ron Turner in the booth upstairs, he had a BIG smile on his face. Not surprising.

I see a bunch of "Orton is Dink and Dunk" type posts here... Sorry gang, the guy can and did hit the deep ball for us a number of times last year. The Bears couldn't just play for the short pass and use press coverage all the time. That said, they should actually try press coverage every once in a WHILE!

Was Ogun carrying a blade of some sort? How the heck does Orton's hand hit his and split in two? Maybe Kyle should talk to Moises Alou about pissing on his hands to toughen them up.

Did Denver install an electron magnet at the 1 yard line and then put iron in the footballs for their punt team? MY GOD! I swear we were starting inside the 5 almost every possession.

Alex Brown was robbed and the NFL owes him a written apology for that penalty call. That ref ought to lose his job!

Was there a Brandon Lloyd sighting last night? He still sucks, regardless.

Anybody who drafts WR's from Denver this year in fantasy football expecting anywhere near the same numbers as last season is either high or delusional.

Although, I may actually consider drafting a Denver RB this year for the first time in a LONG while. Shannahan was always screwing the fantasy guys with his secretive BS on RB's. I still hate that guy.

But Denver should've never fired him. That organization has come unglued since his departure.

WTF was all that talk about the Patriots during a BEARS/BRONCOS game? Hey idiots, we couldn't care less about who you signed to do color commentary during the season. Have him talk about the game in front of him, not the Pats!

Dumervil is an appropriately named dickhead given he lives in Denver. Sorry, I'm back to where I started but those little town fans all wetting themselves over Cutler... They reminded me of pathetic Packers fans!

OK, I know Cutler disappointed a lot of these fans but... Grow the f*ck up people. It wasn't just the dipshits in the stands either! The Broncos were playing this game like it was their Superbowl! Dancing around like a bunch of hopped-up leprechauns on crack with every tackle. Hey dillhole, your job is to tackle! Get over yourself!

Yeah, that many people only blame Cutler? They should be blaming McDaniels as we are thanking him.

Maybe it's the lack of oxygen to the brain...

Does the Broncos new head coach look like a high school kid or what? He'll either be great for them for the next 50 years or he's in WAY over his head!

McDaniels was better suited as just the OC, but you never know. However, Tomlin (comparable in age) seems to handle his team better.

Did one of the goal posts look crooked to you? I swear one of them looked like it needed a level put on it!

In the war of "shut up, no you shut up!"... Cutler won.

Our O Line is better than this. I know they are. But damn. And it wasn't just pressure on the QB. Forte only averaged 2.3 yards per carry. Denver's D has historically sucked donkey balls so this is a bit unnerving.

Denver looked like they had an extra guy in the box. Maybe it was the 3-4, I dunno.

Knox made the team last night. And probably so did Davis and Peterson. I can't see them cutting the stuttering little man after his performance last night and Davis played well on teams. Even if he can't hang onto the ball as a WR, he'll probably be here on opening day.

They said ST will make the difference, so you have to believe Davis and Peterson are locks, and Knox has the edge over Rideau.

Hester's return gave me a semi...

He looks so much more comfortable back there than at WR.

His fair catch earlier, however, was worthy of the death penalty. Man, this kid is stupid.

I will give him a break since he was backpedalling.

Our starting D was still basically in the game when Brandstater did his John Elway impersonation. Anyone else concerned?

I thought someone posted that our starting D has not allowed a TD this preseason?

Briggs is still an animal. I'm damn glad we were able to keep him despite his dick moves of the past. All is forgiven!

If Peanut isn't back for opening day, and they aren't saying shit at Halas Hall to my knowledge, we better find a corner who can actually play this game. Rodgers will pick us apart.

Why does Cutler always have a "smack me" look on his face?

Some people just have a weird expression on all the time. There is a guy here where I work who always looks pissed off, but is actually a nice guy.

I swear to god, when they showed Ron Turner in the booth upstairs, he had a BIG smile on his face. Not surprising.

I see a bunch of "Orton is Dink and Dunk" type posts here... Sorry gang, the guy can and did hit the deep ball for us a number of times last year. The Bears couldn't just play for the short pass and use press coverage all the time. That said, they should actually try press coverage every once in a WHILE!

Was Ogun carrying a blade of some sort? How the heck does Orton's hand hit his and split in two? Maybe Kyle should talk to Moises Alou about pissing on his hands to toughen them up.

Had to be the edge of a piece of plastic on the gloves or something. That was odd.

Did Denver install an electron magnet at the 1 yard line and then put iron in the footballs for their punt team? MY GOD! I swear we were starting inside the 5 almost every possession.

Alex Brown was robbed and the NFL owes him a written apology for that penalty call. That ref ought to lose his job!

Yeah, brutal call, I believe they called it because his helmet was sort of angled down on impact.

Was there a Brandon Lloyd sighting last night? He still sucks, regardless.

Anybody who drafts WR's from Denver this year in fantasy football expecting anywhere near the same numbers as last season is either high or delusional.

Although, I may actually consider drafting a Denver RB this year for the first time in a LONG while. Shannahan was always screwing the fantasy guys with his secretive BS on RB's. I still hate that guy.

But Denver should've never fired him. That organization has come unglued since his departure.

WTF was all that talk about the Patriots during a BEARS/BRONCOS game? Hey idiots, we couldn't care less about who you signed to do color commentary during the season. Have him talk about the game in front of him, not the Pats!

Dumervil is an appropriately named dickhead given he lives in Denver. Sorry, I'm back to where I started but those little town fans all wetting themselves over Cutler... They reminded me of pathetic Packers fans!

FWIW, I'm pretty certain that when Ogun hit Orton's hand, it brought it back to his helmet and that's where he actually got the gash. I'm guessing it happened on the wielded part of the bars or the corner of the logo or something.

From the replay I saw, it didn't look like he hit his or Ogun's helmet. It looked like his hand went right into Ogun's gloves, then stopped and he just dropped his arm down to his side.

How about I just hit on some highlights.

Learned under Billichek, and wants to coach like him, but doesn't realize you have to have skins on the wall before you can act like him as a head coach. You need to gain respect before you treat players like shit.

Was and is a key concern of my. OL and DL are the two areas I still worry about heading into the season.

Davis' play on special teams, combined w/ Rideau's recent lack of plays may get Davis the nod. I don't think Knox' roster spot was ever in question outside this board. Still not convinced AP makes the team.

Can I get an AMEN! Hell, I think it would look great w/ 3 TEs and one WR. Use Knox, Hester or Aromashodu on the outside for deep threat, Split out Olsen, and keep Clark and Davis as your inside TEs. Forte in the backfield. Talk about matchup potential.

Um, yea. Despite the score, I have not been impressed w/ our D at all.

Paired w/ our inability to create consistent pass rush, and this could be ugly fast.

Orton can, and has, thrown deep. But I don't think that is his strength. His deep throws have more loft and rarely are on target, forcing the WRs to adjust. He can do it. Most any NFL QB "can" throw deep. But he isn't good enough to fear. Combine that w/ their best deep threat not playing, and I just can not understand why we played our DBs so far off the LOS you would think they were facing Steve Smith.

Royal could still be very good. His style suits Orton.

All I know is, that guy was in the backfield nearly every down. The pass rush he brought last night was the sort we need to see from our DL.

BTW, I'm waiting for NFO's reply to this thread. When I post a one liner he'll give me 47 paragraphs. There may not be enough bandwidth on the internet for what's coming. :blink:

Some things that were going through my mind watching.

1. Sure did seem like the Broncos were acting like it was their superbowl in a sense like their game plan was built out of spite and hatred for Jay. Like they've all bought into the BS that the reason Jay's not in Denver is because he's just a big baby and the whole debacle was his fault. If the fans should be pissed at anyone it should be their arseclown coach. I actually laughed watching the clips of Marshall. Not because what I think he is doing is actually funny but more along the lines of "you made your bed now lay in it." Marshall needs to friggin grow up. Who in their right mind would trade for this turd. It's one thing when you draw the ire the media, fans and coaches but when your teammates are sick of you it's pretty bad. So for the time being Denver is probably stuck with him and he's stuck with Denver. Serves em both right. If anyone acts like a baby it's Marshall, McDannials, the players and their fans.

2. I'm glad we came out of that game without any injuries. The way that game started I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see some defensive player intentionally injure Jay to make a point. Seemed like every play there were late hits, like Clark getting spun out of bounds then hit and no flag, How many times did Jay get hit after he threw the ball before they finally threw a flag on it. Plays blown dead and Denver players continuing to pile on. I really got sick of watching that and them getting away with it. Particularly in the light of all the ticky tack fouls. I kept yelling that the TV... LET THEM PLAY, seemed like ever few plays there was a flag just sucks the fun out of watching a game. Flag for illegal shift then let a blatant late hit go unflagged. I don't know the final number but it seemed like Denver wad flagged more than we were but just the constant stoppage.

3. not to make light of injury but the look on Kyles face when he's walking to the sideline holding his finger up like "look mommy I got an owie" made me chuckle a little. Maybe I have sick sense of humor but the visual just made me crack up.

4. I have more respect for Jay now. That must have been Hell being pinned inside your own 10 for what seemed like every drive with the fans booing and stomping so loud out of blind hate. He looked a little shaky at the start but I like that he didn't let it get to him and he settled in and did his job. Rex would have soiled himself, then thrown a few pick 6's. You have to have a thick skin to play that position and play in situations like that he has that. Jay strikes me as the type of guy that is like screw them I've got a job to do

5. I was mildly impresses with Bazenez, that's the best he's looked this pre-season. He did some good things out there, I hope he never has to start but I'm ok with him as our #3.

6. Early on it sure seemed like the commentary was taking Denver's side catering to Josh's side of the story as fact. Really at the end of the day they both could have handled it better and beyond that it's all he said she said blame depends on your perspective and where your loyalties lie. It happened it's over move on. If they were completely satisfied with how things worked out as Josh seems portray then why all the bitterness if they think they got the better end of the deal then what's the need to sling mud and act childish. Answer, deep down they know that they got the short end of the stick. Fans are bitter that Jay isn't there anymore and are misdirecting their anger and projecting it on Jay. I say let em. The commentary did later com to the point that I've held to is when you have a franchise QB you don't pull that kind of crap and trade him. Franchise QB's are rare when you have one you do what you can to hang on to him. We know all to well how difficult it is to find them. Contrast Denver with Pittsburgh when they interviewed Tomlin who to me comes across as a real class act. He was interested in Vick but out of respect for Ben's situation he felt it wasn't the right time to bring another QB into the picture. That to me is a coach that understands the importance of team chemistry and doing what's best for his team. I'm not saying coddle but you sure as hell don't go behind their back and lie to them.

7. Thought the halfback pass was a dumb call and a waste of a down. May as well have had Jay spike the ball.

It's PRESEASON! Why worry about a halfback passing play in a practice game? We ran it in a highly charged atmosphere where the players can get a feel for what it will be like when it really counts. At least now they have it on tape and can coach it up further. It's the same for our opponents too. Perhaps that means one less safety crashing down on a run play.

Some things that were going through my mind watching.

Great stuff, man. I'd like to add:

1.) Yesterday afternoon on ESPN Radio I heard someone mentioning that the owner is now saying he may have actually received a call back from Jay and he forgot about it. They're saying the owner is old and his memory isn't that good. HOLY SHIT! To basically get so many people pissed off at Jay and then turn around and say "my bad" after the fact! I'd be absolutely furious at ownership here if that happened.

2.) Jay is young. He's still playing his rookie contract and has basically just gotten to the point where he's a really valuable player. For them to bring in a completely inexperienced coach, have him pursue another QB behind the scenes and then lie to Cutler about it... They got exactly what they deserved. We benefitted because of their idiotic handling of the coaching and personnel side of their business. Sure, most organizations hate giving up two #1's but I was 100% behind the move then and I'm even more happy about it now.

3.) You're 100% right that they're projecting their anger onto Jay. They know they got their pockets picked on this deal and they're trying to not look like fools. And the fans have bought into it at least thus far. But based on the comments posted from the Denver boards, that facade is breaking down.

4.) Practicing the halfback pass in a preseason game is a good move, IMO.

From everything I have read, the intent was far more about putting the thought into the minds of DCs for the regular season. If a defense sees Forte running a sweep, w/ a WR running downfield, they will have to keep a DB (or two) back in case Forte looks to throw. That alone helps free up the outside, which means Forte could have more room to run.

So often it isn't about the initial success of a play, but the long term effect it has. Gotta love the chess/strategy in the game.

It's PRESEASON! Why worry about a halfback passing play in a practice game? We ran it in a highly charged atmosphere where the players can get a feel for what it will be like when it really counts. At least now they have it on tape and can coach it up further. It's the same for our opponents too. Perhaps that means one less safety crashing down on a run play.

3. not to make light of injury but the look on Kyles face when he's walking to the sideline holding his finger up like "look mommy I got an owie" made me chuckle a little. Maybe I have sick sense of humor but the visual just made me crack up.

I watch games at a bar w/ a large group of bear fans. On that play, the whole bar erupted. Many of us still today like Orton, but the visual of his coming off the field, holding his finger up, and the look on his face was flat out sad. If you step back, you know he was simply motioning for the sideline to get the trainer ready to tend to him, but it sure did seem like he was crying to his mommy that he got an owie.

I'll bet you Orton later see's that on film and wishes he could have that moment back. I think next time he just goes to the sideline, and quietly asks for the trainer to come over :)

I think he will be more discrete next time though... being well known for having your picture taken while being loaded and having missed your mouth a few times as evidenced by the abnormally soggy shirt and many pictures like that which not exactly in short supply leads me to believe he's not that concerned about public appearance lol

After finding that the injury is more than just a little cut, I can understand the look on his face as it probably did hurt. Reading the Bronco's boards and seeing things like "Orton's career ending hangnail" and "I'ts called a band-aid Kyle" shows that the Denver fans aren't amused but the rest of us get a chuckle. But leads me to wonder how on earth do you come up with that kind of injury by simply touching Whale's hand lol. I thought only Rex was that unlucky.

As far as the half back pass I don't have a problem with them running it, but more the situation, they were getting close to the the red zone and it was the first drive where we were moving the ball and building momentum. I'd have rather seen a normal play on 1st and 10. Now on the positive it does give other teams something to look at and Forte didn't force it but wisely threw it away. I just felt at that point we should have focused keeping the pedal down and getting into the end zone. We followed up with a run up the middle then a coverage forced Jay to dump off and settle for 3. Not that there's any guarantee had we ran another play that the drive wouldn't have resulted in 3 anyway. In hindsight it didn't matter as Cutler had a good game. Just wanted to see a TD to shut the fans up (not that it would have). But it is preseason so this is the time that you can try things like that and it doesn't hurt you.

After finding that the injury is more than just a little cut, I can understand the look on his face as it probably did hurt. Reading the Bronco's boards and seeing things like "Orton's career ending hangnail" and "I'ts called a band-aid Kyle" shows that the Denver fans aren't amused but the rest of us get a chuckle. But leads me to wonder how on earth do you come up with that kind of injury by simply touching Whale's hand lol. I thought only Rex was that unlucky.

IMHO, Wale had brass knuckles on. We couldn't see them, but they were there. I think he also sharpened the edges. He could hit the QB and knock the crap out of him, or swipe at the QB and cut him. Orton got cut.