NFL Reporting Bears trying for FA DE Kevin Carter

GrizzlyBear

Guest TerraTor
NFL is reporting that Chicago and New England are trying to coax Kevin Carter out of retirement, Word is they both would want to keep on the field for 20 -25 plays a game, He has yet respond to offers.

ya just heard that on Total Access

NFL is reporting that Chicago and New England are trying to coax Kevin Carter out of retirement, Word is they both would want to keep on the field for 20 -25 plays a game, He has yet respond to offers.

If this is true, do you think the Bears are trying to get bigger on the d-line? If we got Carter, we'd have some much bigger guys on the line between him, Gilbert, Harrison, and Idonije. I know the other former Tampa-2 teams (specifically the Colts and Bucs) have both been moving away from a lighter, faster d-line and toward a more traditional 4-3 front. Could the Bears be doing the same?

Guest TerraTor
If this is true, do you think the Bears are trying to get bigger on the d-line? If we got Carter, we'd have some much bigger guys on the line between him, Gilbert, Harrison, and Idonije. I know the other former Tampa-2 teams (specifically the Colts and Bucs) have both been moving away from a lighter, faster d-line and toward a more traditional 4-3 front. Could the Bears be doing the same?

they should be considering the lack of pass rush.

If we're in need of a DE, I wonder why we wouldn't go after Simeon Rice?

If we're truly interested in Carter, what does that say about Mark Anderson?

Not to mention Melton. Does anyone else find it curious that he was placed on the IR for an ankle injury? To me this seems like a situation where he's not good enough to make the team, but we drafted him too high to cut him. I'm guessing if Iglesias has a hang-nail he'll also get the IR treatment.

It's also noteworthy that we kept two DE's on the practice squad. That's an indicator we're not thrilled with what we have. Baldwin looked good in pre-season, but Joe Clermond???

If we're in need of a DE, I wonder why we wouldn't go after Simeon Rice?

Simeon Rice is done. He's got major recurring shoulder problems and hasn't had a decent season since 2005. He's playing in the UFL for a reason.

If we're truly interested in Carter, what does that say about Mark Anderson?

Different players. Carter's a base end or even a tackle in our system. Anderson's a situational rusher. We'd probably use Carter like Idonije - as a wave LE who kicks inside sometimes. That'd let us move Idonije to end fulltime.

Not to mention Melton. Does anyone else find it curious that he was placed on the IR for an ankle injury? To me this seems like a situation where he's not good enough to make the team, but we drafted him too high to cut him. I'm guessing if Iglesias has a hang-nail he'll also get the IR treatment.

I think you're dead-on. Melton didn't look ready to make any kind of an impact in his first year, but he's got lots of potential and was drafted too high to cut bait on. This has redshirt IR written all over it.

It's also noteworthy that we kept two DE's on the practice squad. That's an indicator we're not thrilled with what we have. Baldwin looked good in pre-season, but Joe Clermond???

Yeah, I think the staff is probably still worried about Anderson. I don't think any of our young guys offer the same kind of potential as a rush end, but it looks like they're using Melton/Clermond/Baldwin to hedge their bets in case Anderson still sucks.

It is noteworthy that New England is also trying to get him out of retirement. Especially considering who they just traded away. Carter would be considered a DT in the defense. He would most likely be used in a rotation. I think for 20-25 plays a game he could be a real difference maker still.

It is noteworthy that New England is also trying to get him out of retirement. Especially considering who they just traded away. Carter would be considered a DT in the defense. He would most likely be used in a rotation. I think for 20-25 plays a game he could be a real difference maker still.

I can not remember seeing him play (I am sure I have many times, but memory does not serve me well here). If he were to play DT in our system would he be a 3 technique? If so maybe they are picking him up to hedge against injury with Harris?

I can not remember seeing him play (I am sure I have many times, but memory does not serve me well here). If he were to play DT in our system would he be a 3 technique? If so maybe they are picking him up to hedge against injury with Harris?

Pix Thats what I think the interest would be. It is obvious that Harris can't play a whole game full of snaps and Kevin Carter is a little bigger than Lovie likes DEs to be.Since the team only has 3 true DEs, I believe the whole Idonije weight loss story means he may be the 4th DE.

As for the way Carter plays he reminds me of Phillip Danials with some pass rush moves.