Walter Payton & Chicago Park Distict

chitownman

In today's Tribune, an article by Fred Mitchell (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-16-walter-payton-statue-sep16,0,3208115.story) advises that the Park District is opposed to a statue being erected outside Soldier Field. I personally find this appalling as the excuses that the Park District give is that the statue for "Sweetness" is not for a war veteran and does not take into consideration other Bear Hall of Fame members or legends. I am hoping that many Bear Fans will write to the Park District to voice displeasure with the Park District's lack of respect to the greatest running back of all time and the founding franchise of the NFL. Here is the information on who to address our letters to:

Tim Mitchell

Chief Executive Officer & General Superintendent

Chicago Park District

541 N Fairbanks CT

Chicago IL 60611

I hope that many of my fellow Bear fans will send letters to Mr. Mitchell to voice our displeasure in the Park Districts thought process.

How about putting a statue inside the stadium then?

In today's Tribune, an article by Fred Mitchell (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-16-walter-payton-statue-sep16,0,3208115.story) advises that the Park District is opposed to a statue being erected outside Soldier Field. I personally find this appalling as the excuses that the Park District give is that the statue for "Sweetness" is not for a war veteran and does not take into consideration other Bear Hall of Fame members or legends. I am hoping that many Bear Fans will write to the Park District to voice displeasure with the Park District's lack of respect to the greatest running back of all time and the founding franchise of the NFL. Here is the information on who to address our letters to:

Tim Mitchell

Chief Executive Officer & General Superintendent

Chicago Park District

541 N Fairbanks CT

Chicago IL 60611

I hope that many of my fellow Bear fans will send letters to Mr. Mitchell to voice our displeasure in the Park Districts thought process.

That's a pretty good idea... Kinds of kills 2 birds w/ one stone.

According to the Park district soldier field and the surrounding area is meant for war vets and memorials then why is there a statue of Papa Bear Halas. I understand that he is the founder and everything but he isn't a war vet. Since its for "war vets" how about a statue then for Gale Sayers, as he spent time serving.

That works for me too!

According to the Park district soldier field and the surrounding area is meant for war vets and memorials then why is there a statue of Papa Bear Halas. I understand that he is the founder and everything but he isn't a war vet. Since its for "war vets" how about a statue then for Gale Sayers, as he spent time serving.

If I'm not mistaken I thought Halas was a war vet.

As for a statue and Soldier's Field being a memorial to veterans; What is the field most famous for? Football. I once attend a game as a child that is now known as the Prep Bowl that happens annually between Chicago Public High Schools and Chicago Catholic High Schools.The one game that used to honor veterans was the annual Armed Forces game that was played every preseason between the Bears and the Cardinals who started off in Chicago and ended with the Bears squaring off against either the Packers or Vikings. One of those games marked the end of my boyhood hero Gayle Sayers' career when he couldn't chase down defensive tackle Alan Page who picked up a turnover and returned for a score.

Soldier's Field also used to host the College All-Stars versus the world champions which pitted rookie stars versus the champs and the last one involved the Pittsburgh Steelers of the Steel Curtain era. The reason why I remember this game so well is because Bears draft pick Virgil Livers ran back a punt 88 yards for a score against the Steelers. In Bears history Livers was one of the Bears best punt returners of all time. This game also featured Walter Payton who injured his elbow during the game and caused him a setback in his young career. Off the top of my head I also believe tha Jeff Fisher(Another Bear Pick and current Titans HC) was a participant.

During these games there was some military presence during the half times and there were soldiers present in the stands and some on the sidelines.

I think it is a bit of a joke. If the area is for veterans, why was it okay to drop a huge football stadium on it?

If I'm not mistaken I thought Halas was a war vet.

As for a statue and Soldier's Field being a memorial to veterans; What is the field most famous for? Football. I once attend a game as a child that is now known as the Prep Bowl that happens annually between Chicago Public High Schools and Chicago Catholic High Schools.The one game that used to honor veterans was the annual Armed Forces game that was played every preseason between the Bears and the Cardinals who started off in Chicago and ended with the Bears squaring off against either the Packers or Vikings. One of those games marked the end of my boyhood hero Gayle Sayers' career when he couldn't chase down defensive tackle Alan Page who picked up a turnover and returned for a score.

Soldier's Field also used to host the College All-Stars versus the world champions which pitted rookie stars versus the champs and the last one involved the Pittsburgh Steelers of the Steel Curtain era. The reason why I remember this game so well is because Bears draft pick Virgil Livers ran back a punt 88 yards for a score against the Steelers. In Bears history Livers was one of the Bears best punt returners of all time. This game also featured Walter Payton who injured his elbow during the game and caused him a setback in his young career. Off the top of my head I also believe tha Jeff Fisher(Another Bear Pick and current Titans HC) was a participant.

During these games there was some military presence during the half times and there were soldiers present in the stands and some on the sidelines.

I think it is a bit of a joke. If the area is for veterans, why was it okay to drop a huge football stadium on it?

Great response. When the NFL and the Bears dropped big coin for the refurbishing of the stadium where was the love for the veterans then?When U2 was performing this past weekend where was the love for the veterans? When the field crew is replacing the turf after this concert what does that have to do with the veterans? Nothing. Listening to the local new reports makes me believe that the Payton family is paying for the construction of the statue but are not goping to grease the palms of the Chicago Park District executives to make this happen.Supposedly the commissioner is on vacation and that is why this issue is unresolved according to Connie Payton.