what i DON'T want to see

Lucky Luciano

if a miracle happens and we dump the garbage in chicago i don't want to bring in a coach with the mantle of GM.

even with a cowher or shanny i think it would be a mistake to give either this dual role because it just doesn't work. that is not to say i want to handcuff either of these quality type coaches to have no say in FA personnel or especially the draft. at the least they should work with someone similar to the way cowher worked with colbert in pitt but in any event it is just too much for a coach to fill in both roles by himself and be good at either.

also in my opinion we are going to have to shake up the scouting department along with any qualified gm we hire as it seems the number, talent or responsibilities of our scouts is lacking.

Fair enough.

Any thoughts of who we should get as a GM?

Part of the issue w/ bringing in the big guns is that they want GM powers. So either you have to give in whether in full or by reducing GM powers, or you probably don't get those big guns.

if a miracle happens and we dump the garbage in chicago i don't want to bring in a coach with the mantle of GM.

even with a cowher or shanny i think it would be a mistake to give either this dual role because it just doesn't work. that is not to say i want to handcuff either of these quality type coaches to have no say in FA personnel or especially the draft. at the least they should work with someone similar to the way cowher worked with colbert in pitt but in any event it is just too much for a coach to fill in both roles by himself and be good at either.

also in my opinion we are going to have to shake up the scouting department along with any qualified gm we hire as it seems the number, talent or responsibilities of our scouts is lacking.

Fair enough.

Any thoughts of who we should get as a GM?

Part of the issue w/ bringing in the big guns is that they want GM powers. So either you have to give in whether in full or by reducing GM powers, or you probably don't get those big guns.

as far as who... i don't even know who is out there and what qualifications any of them at this point have.

this is just one problem with the structure in chicago. we have a president who is football dumb and nobody in upper management to trust with any decisions as important as hiring a gm. THIS is the reason i wanted to hire a holmgren type president or if phillips thinks he needs control of the reins then hire a football minded vice president in charge of football operations.

then a holmgren or someone knowledgeable can make the decision to either hire a separate gm OR hire the coach/gm type of person like cowher/shanny to wear both hats. that way there is accountability overseeing the important gm portion of this franchise and advise or work with him in the gm type duties. if things didn't work out he can demote the gm responsibility from the coach and go with an actual GM to oversee this portion of operations. also this president/vice president can oversee the scouting department which is critical at this juncture.

Holmgrem would more than work for me!

as far as who... i don't even know who is out there and what qualifications any of them at this point have.

this is just one problem with the structure in chicago. we have a president who is football dumb and nobody in upper management to trust with any decisions as important as hiring a gm. THIS is the reason i wanted to hire a holmgren type president or if phillips thinks he needs control of the reins then hire a football minded vice president in charge of football operations.

then a holmgren or someone knowledgeable can make the decision to either hire a separate gm OR hire the coach/gm type of person like cowher/shanny to wear both hats. that way there is accountability overseeing the important gm portion of this franchise and advise or work with him in the gm type duties. if things didn't work out he can demote the gm responsibility from the coach and go with an actual GM to oversee this portion of operations. also this president/vice president can oversee the scouting department which is critical at this juncture.

I tend to agree that we shouldn't give anyone full control, but I also don't think Angelo will get fired. Jerry will get to bring in his guy and my guess is it might be Gruden who I think would accept a job without being the GM. Cowher might as well.

Shanny is less likely to accept that sort of role.

if this franchise does decide to keep angelo, which i think is a mistake, then it is even more important to hire a president/vice in charge of football operations that is knowledgeable to oversee this portion of our team. someone who has the smarts to have input and say no to angelo in regards to drafts and free agent acquisitions and restructure our scouting department.

i just fear if we dump angelo and hire a two position gm/coach we will end up like seattle in 4 years after holmgren's failure. the problem i see with gm/coaching is problems that arise from player contract negotiations and trading/cutting players not to mention assistants. it just breeds distrust between players, assistant coaches and your gm/coach. plus it is too much of a work load combining these two different type of duties on a single person and neither position gets the full attention of the candidate.

gruden scares the hell out of me at this point. at one time i was on his bandwagon but after seeing this guy in the media i think he is loony-toons and don't want any part of him.

actually i would have thought that cowher would have been the front runner who wanted control of the gm position rather than shanny. shanny just got fired for basically the same thing that happened to holmgren in seattle. the failure of both jobs combined in coach/gm.

in either case if we keep angelo it would be to our benefit if either coach, shanny or cowher, had at least some teeth in regards to drafting, scouting and free agents. that is one reason why i would like to see a new president to avoid this type of mess.

Is anyone sure that Cowher wants GM powers? Or is it just speculation? I haven't read anything about it but I don't follow every news article about him.

Cowher does not need to be gm, he'll get the most out of anybody,no matter who they give him. I live here in Colorado,Shanny is thru. I think when Kubiak left for the Texans, shanny went spiraling down. I believe Kubiak was the offense guru.