Evaluating the Bears Oline

AZ54

Same site; this time just select By Team

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php...e=a&stats=o

Kreutz is rated far and away as our best Oline. Garza is right behind him. Chris Williams and Orlando Pace are rated so poorly on pass protection it's embarrassing. Pace run blocking rating at -9.0 has to make you wonder why the staff didn't make a move to Shaffer sooner and move Williams back to his more natural left side. Then again, this is Lovie we're talking about so no need to wonder. If you look at OT performance overall Pace ranks and 74th out of 76. Ouch. (Minn OTs aren't rated that highly either, Arizona's are way down there too)

It's interesting to note that Beekman and Omiyale ratings are opposite on run vs. pass blocking. Beekman better in pass protection and Omiyale better on the run blocking. Omiyale really loses points on penalties (as we all know).

On the overall list Kreutz ranks #12 among the league centers.

Behind these guys Matt Forte ranks 60/60 among HB in the league.

Looking at the OL.

OT

Yea, both OTs look pretty dang bad. Their rankings give Williams the nod in both run and pass blocking (which I think most here would agree) but at the same time, it also painst Williams in a pretty poor light, with 9 penalties (much higher than any other), 6 sacks (Pace only had 1), 11 QB hits to Pace's 6, and 32 QB pressures to Pace's 37.

All in all, our OTs look pretty bad.

OG

Garza rates out best, though these rankings say his run blocking is worst.

I agree Beekman did better run blocking than pass, but I disagree w/ Omiyale's rankings. A positive 2.9 for run blocking? Huh? And while Williams and Pace are around double digit bad in pass protection, Omiyale only gets a -2.4? If Pace is -12.3 and Williams is -10.5 in pass protection, Omiyale should easily be -15. Further, if Pace gets an overall -26.3 and Williams a -18.9, then Omiyale should be in the negative 30s.

Kreutz gets tagged for the penalties, but if we took those out, who would agree with Kreutz being:

4th best in the league in pass protection,

2nd best in the league in screen blocking and

18th best in the league in run blocking.

Frankly, I would go even lower in terms of run blocking, and MUCH lower for the other two.

Same site; this time just select By Team

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php...e=a&stats=o

Kreutz is rated far and away as our best Oline. Garza is right behind him. Chris Williams and Orlando Pace are rated so poorly on pass protection it's embarrassing. Pace run blocking rating at -9.0 has to make you wonder why the staff didn't make a move to Shaffer sooner and move Williams back to his more natural left side. Then again, this is Lovie we're talking about so no need to wonder. If you look at OT performance overall Pace ranks and 74th out of 76. Ouch. (Minn OTs aren't rated that highly either, Arizona's are way down there too)

It's interesting to note that Beekman and Omiyale ratings are opposite on run vs. pass blocking. Beekman better in pass protection and Omiyale better on the run blocking. Omiyale really loses points on penalties (as we all know).

On the overall list Kreutz ranks #12 among the league centers.

Behind these guys Matt Forte ranks 60/60 among HB in the league.

The thing about Omiyale is that he's a hit or miss guy in that he either gets a good block or none at all. As the season has gone he's gotten more hits and less misses but every time I see one of those misses it drives me nuts and destroys the play. Those are the kind of plays that kill a drive and so we put a higher weighting on it perhaps than these guys do.

I'm surprised Kreutz is ranked so highly. When I isolate on him he seems to get pushed around a lot.

On Omiyale, I think it is more a matter of that he had a couple "hits", and when he does do a good job, it shows up big time. There were a couple times he made a block when he simply drove his man, a massive hole was created, and Forte was 8 yards before anyone was close. But I think I can count those on one hand. Other than these very few plays, he either blocking in such a way as to simply help clog up the LOS or flat out getting blown up.

Maybe he has not been as bad as early in the year, but I am not sure how much better he has been either. If we changed staff and added a new (good) OL coach, I have a feeling Omiyale would quickly be moved.

The thing about Omiyale is that he's a hit or miss guy in that he either gets a good block or none at all. As the season has gone he's gotten more hits and less misses but every time I see one of those misses it drives me nuts and destroys the play. Those are the kind of plays that kill a drive and so we put a higher weighting on it perhaps than these guys do.

I'm surprised Kreutz is ranked so highly. When I isolate on him he seems to get pushed around a lot.

Kruetz has clearly been our best olineman this year. He's gotten absolutely no help from the guards since 06. He's mediocre now, but I really feel if we upgrade both guard spots, we could see Kreutz play raise up a notch. Its clear he is no longer the player he used to be, but he's only 32, still has some years left, and actually seems to give a damn.