Daley Trying To Score 2nd NFL Team??

AtHomeBoy_2000

CBS 2 Chicago -

Chicago has always has been a Bears town. But there's at least some talk today about the Bears no longer being "the only game in town."

It started when CBS 2's Mike North on Monsters & Money in the Morning revealed that a former NFL commissioner was in town visiting Mayor Daley.

"Paul Tagliabue walked out of City Hall yesterday," North said. "He was visiting with the mayor, I don't know what it was about. But he walked out. And I said 'wasn't that Paul Tagliabue?' He said, 'that's right.'"

CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine spoke with Mayor Daley Wednesday and asked him what they were talking about.

"The Olympics," Daley said.

A kind of post-mortem of Chicago's failed 2016 bid. Tagliabue told us by e-mail that he's "no longer involved with the NFL."

But given his history with the league and its owners, and the mayor's longtime desire to lure a second team to Chicago, it's hard to believe it didn't come up.

It did, the mayor admitted.

"I've been talking about it. I've been trying to get people; a lot of private investors out there would love to do it," Daley said.

When asked if he spoke with Paul Tagliabue about it, since he was seen leaving Daley's office Tuesday, the mayor said: "That was first about the whole U.S. Olympics. Of course, I pitched it about how Chicago is such a great sports town."

Daley said Tagliabue's reaction was, "Well, like anything else, he said you'd have to go through the process and all that."

Daley's never really gotten over his beloved Chicago Cardinals leaving the South Side for St. Louis in 1960. He actually had a chance to get them back from Arizona 40 years later.

"That was the time Mayor Daley had a chance to eliminate Soldier Field, leave it as a memorial, build a new stadium, 80,000 fans and have two teams," said ESPN.com's Lester Munson. "He could have done it then, he probably could have had the Cardinals then."

Instead, he chose to construct the smallest stadium in the NFL, hurting his chances to get the second team many Chicagoans would love to have.

"That would be huge," one Bears fan said.

For both the love of the game and because they're running out of patience with the Bears.

"I would just hope for something better than what we have now," a woman said.

"Give me a second team as soon as you can get it here, that's fine with me," a man said.

Munson agrees.

"From the fans' point of view, the best thing that could happen would be a second team coming here into Chicago to make it tough on the Bears," Munson said. "What do the Bears want? That's the last thing they want. They want a total monopoly over NFL football."

But some fans agree with the Bears.

"I think the market is perfect the way it is," one fan said. "I don't think you should mess with that at all."

"The Bears are legendary," said another fan. "They got history here. A brand new team trying to start off new, competing against the Bears? I don't see it."

Mayor Daley sure does.

"San Francisco has two teams, New York has two teams. Of course, anybody would love to have a second national football league franchise here in Chicago. That would be perfect," said Mayor Daley.

For Daley and many fans? Yes.

For an NFL owner without a bigger stadium? Not so much.

Better to build a new stadium in Los Angeles, which doesn't have a team than share smaller quarters with the Bears, who don't want any part of them.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

If there were going to be a second team, it had better be the Cardinals, and I don't see that happening now. I wouldn't want a team that doesn't have any history with the city coming in, just because it's a big market. "The Chicago Jaguars" just sounds wrong...

They could change their name to the Cougars, but a Google search for Chicago Cougars might not render the search results they want.

Guest TerraTor
They could change their name to the Cougars, but a Google search for Chicago Cougars might not render the search results they want.

Naperville Nancies

Aurora Assholes

Mutant League Football names, ha!

How about Chicago Catfish