Smith: Olsen will "be successful in this offense"

balta1701-A

Another bit from the Coach's breakfast this morning.

First, Smith said he has maintained a regular dialogue with Olsen during the offseason, starting with the interview process that led to Martz's hiring and continuing through the decision to sign free agent Brandon Manumaleuna. "I let him know what we were doing," Smith said. "I said, 'We're improving our ball club.'" In other words, Olsen should be fully informed at this point.

Second, the Bears have identified the H-back role as what Olsen is "best suited for up to this point." Ultimately, though, Smith said Olsen will need to demonstrate proficiency as a traditional "in-line" tight end to maximize his productivity.

"We've always talked about the other things he can do," Smith said. "We can spread him out and all the things that we can do. But we've never talked about him being an in-line tight end. That's the next step with Greg, is getting him more comfortable playing that."

Reading between the lines, a cynic might suggest Smith wants Olsen to become a better blocker, the primary role Martz has traditionally assigned to his tight ends and the ostensible reason Manumaleuna was signed. But when I asked why he wouldn't focus on positioning Olsen in the slot or outside receiver to promote mismatches, Smith offered a different explanation.

"You would like to do that," Smith said. "But in order for that to work, guys have to really respect Greg as an in-line tight end. A lot of times last year, guys kept their nickel group out there with Greg. You don't want that. You would like to see him matched up on a safety or linebacker."

More at link

Not to compare Olsen to a HOF player, but the player I would like to see us use Olsen like is Shannon Sharpe. Sharp was used as an H back also. He would often line up in the backfield, and from there, there were many options available. And for the record, Sharpe was never a good blocker.

I do agree with something Lovie said though. We have to improve Olsen's blocking. He will never be a great blocker, but take a look. Most of the top receiving TEs are fairly weak in this department. He does need to become more physical and effective though. The hope is the addition of Tice, a coach with a history of coaching OL and TE, will help improve Olsen's blocking. I have never heard questions as to his willingness to block, simply his effectiveness. To me, that means he is teachable.

But, Lovie seems to indicate that defenses simply kept nickel defenses in due to Olsen. I would argue defenses kept in the nickel due to an overall lack of respect for our run game. That is on our OL and RB too.

I'd thought they meant "half-back." I'm sitting here thinking, WTF???

Won't Dez Clark & Davis also be H-backs?

I'd thought they meant "half-back." I'm sitting here thinking, WTF???

Won't Dez Clark & Davis also be H-backs?

No, both of them are good at in-line blocking, and both of them usually line up next to the tackle, whereas the H-back is usually flexed out or lined up in the backfield. Guys like Chris Cooley are H-backs. But unlike Olsen, Cooley can lead block. H-backs don't necessarily have to be good at in-line blocking, but they DO have to be able to lead block. Your H-back has to act like a fullback on some plays and knock a linebacker out of the hole. That's why H-backs are usually built shorter and stockier than your average TE: basically you want a guy who's built like a jumbo fullback, but who can catch and run routes like a receiving TE. Olsen's not even close to an H-back type, looking at his skillset. He's way too lanky, doesn't have enough lower-body power, and he's an awful lead blocker. I think it's kind of damning to hear Lovie say that that's how Ron Turner was using him all this time.

Moving Olsen to a more traditional TE role could benefit him. I would be VERY surprised if Olsen's blocking on the line is worse than his lead blocking. Remember when Turner used to call that strong I formation with Olsen lined up as a fullback and he'd just get blown up? That's the kind of thing you'd do with an H-back, and Olsen sucked at it. But if all he has to do is chip a guy at the line or help a tackle out on a double-team, he might be fine at that. And if he only has to be adequate on the line in order to keep the other team from playing him like an extra WR, then he'll get some good matchups in the passing game.

Thanks for the info. Although I have to disagree with Davis being a good in-line blocker. He's built a lot like Olsen. I know we demanded Davis to focus on blocking, but I can't see him being very good at it.

No, both of them are good at in-line blocking, and both of them usually line up next to the tackle, whereas the H-back is usually flexed out or lined up in the backfield. Guys like Chris Cooley are H-backs. But unlike Olsen, Cooley can lead block. H-backs don't necessarily have to be good at in-line blocking, but they DO have to be able to lead block. Your H-back has to act like a fullback on some plays and knock a linebacker out of the hole. That's why H-backs are usually built shorter and stockier than your average TE: basically you want a guy who's built like a jumbo fullback, but who can catch and run routes like a receiving TE. Olsen's not even close to an H-back type, looking at his skillset. He's way too lanky, doesn't have enough lower-body power, and he's an awful lead blocker. I think it's kind of damning to hear Lovie say that that's how Ron Turner was using him all this time.

Moving Olsen to a more traditional TE role could benefit him. I would be VERY surprised if Olsen's blocking on the line is worse than his lead blocking. Remember when Turner used to call that strong I formation with Olsen lined up as a fullback and he'd just get blown up? That's the kind of thing you'd do with an H-back, and Olsen sucked at it. But if all he has to do is chip a guy at the line or help a tackle out on a double-team, he might be fine at that. And if he only has to be adequate on the line in order to keep the other team from playing him like an extra WR, then he'll get some good matchups in the passing game.

Exactly...Love takes the art of politicking and bulls$$t to another level....I believe him as much as I would any politician. He has mastered the art of BS.

Would you rather have a coach that says, "We don't need Greg Olsen, so will some NFL team PLEASE make us an offer? We're desperate. There's no point in offering a 2nd or 3rd cause we'll take MUCH less!"

Thanks for the info. Although I have to disagree with Davis being a good in-line blocker. He's built a lot like Olsen. I know we demanded Davis to focus on blocking, but I can't see him being very good at it.

He got better at it toward the end of last season. I think he could develop into a good blocker pretty soon. He's tall like Olsen, but he's way stronger. He was among the top TEs in the bench press at his Combine (where he was 10 or 12 pounds lighter than he is now,) and he was powerful enough to play some DE in college.