Haynesworth Anyone?

Mongo3451

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5062971

OK guys, I’m bored. Above is a link to an Albert Haynesworth “on the block” article. Here’s a guy that’s a beast when healthy. I salivate at the thought of having a guy like him line up next to Tommie Harris. Our line could look like a train wreck coming at opposing QB’s. …And he could actually be affordable, as the Redskins already paid him a 21 million roster bonus this year. Thoughts??

Here’s a guy that’s a beast when healthy

I would say he's a beast when he wants to be a beast.

I was 100% against the idea of going after him before due to the sort of deal it would take to get him, and the high risk I felt he was. Now, the situation is different as he signed the deal w/ Wash and the biggest piece was already shelled out. To get him for a reasonable contract, then the red flags/risks become less in my eyes.

With that said, I don't see it. One, I have read/heard that Wash is going to be looking to get back some money. They paid out the $21m bonus, but supposedly were asking Phily for a big part of that in return as part of a trade. We are cutting players to save money at this point. I do not see ownership shelling out huge dollars for a player. Two, what the heck do we have to trade? If we offered our entire draft, I think Wash would say no. And sorry, but I just don't want to screw around with offering picks this year and future years.

A team w/ more picks in the draft may be in an opportunistic situation to take advantage here, but I do not see us as being in that position.

OK guys, I’m bored. Above is a link to an Albert Haynesworth “on the block” article. Here’s a guy that’s a beast when healthy. I salivate at the thought of having a guy like him line up next to Tommie Harris. Our line could look like a train wreck coming at opposing QB’s. …And he could actually be affordable, as the Redskins already paid him a 21 million roster bonus this year. Thoughts??

Not interested. Too much baggage. Too similar to Tommie...

Here’s a guy that’s a beast when healthy

I would say he's a beast when he wants to be a beast.

I was 100% against the idea of going after him before due to the sort of deal it would take to get him, and the high risk I felt he was. Now, the situation is different as he signed the deal w/ Wash and the biggest piece was already shelled out. To get him for a reasonable contract, then the red flags/risks become less in my eyes.

With that said, I don't see it. One, I have read/heard that Wash is going to be looking to get back some money. They paid out the $21m bonus, but supposedly were asking Phily for a big part of that in return as part of a trade. We are cutting players to save money at this point. I do not see ownership shelling out huge dollars for a player. Two, what the heck do we have to trade? If we offered our entire draft, I think Wash would say no. And sorry, but I just don't want to screw around with offering picks this year and future years.

A team w/ more picks in the draft may be in an opportunistic situation to take advantage here, but I do not see us as being in that position.

I'm pretty sure that NFL teams can't ask for money as part of a trade. But your point still stands: if nothing else, the Skins are going to want a much higher draft pick now that they've paid him $21 mil. I doubt the Bears have the draft ammo, and even if they did they have too many other needs.

You could be right, but I have never heard of a rule that would bar such a transaction (cash). Usually, such a move is moot as the key is normally salary cap, but that isn't at issue here. I would say that if the cap was in place, in now way would Wash consider trading him after giving him $21m, but this is a unique year. Anyway, I heard/ read from a couple sources that they were asking for cash as part of the deal from Phily to recover part of the $21m given to him.

I'm pretty sure that NFL teams can't ask for money as part of a trade. But your point still stands: if nothing else, the Skins are going to want a much higher draft pick now that they've paid him $21 mil. I doubt the Bears have the draft ammo, and even if they did they have too many other needs.