I still think Angelo sucks...

brletich

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...mully19.article

Since Angelo and Smith got together in 2004 27 defensive players have been drafted. How many starters last year from those 27? A whopping 4, Tommie Harris, Zach Bowman, Al Alfalava, and Danieal Manning...That track record sucks. I don't care what industry you are in, a 15% hit rate is pathetic. Now cue the Angelo supporters saying how great his late round special team gems are...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...mully19.article

Since Angelo and Smith got together in 2004 27 defensive players have been drafted. How many starters last year from those 27? A whopping 4, Tommie Harris, Zach Bowman, Al Alfalava, and Danieal Manning...That track record sucks. I don't care what industry you are in, a 15% hit rate is pathetic. Now cue the Angelo supporters saying how great his late round special team gems are...

The 4 starters is a misleading stat. You're ignoring all the incumbant players we either signed or drafted who are locked into their positions. Wale, Alex Brown, Urlacher, Briggs, and Peanut are all high paid starters. With the exception of Brown, none have even had their jobs in question. That's almost 1/2 the defense.

Doesn't Angelo get credit for finding starters like Roach and Hunter off the scrap-heap? For signing Anthony Adams? Is he get blamed for the 6th & 7th round picks?

I agree we need to draft better but calling it a 15% hit rate is misleading.

Roach? What the hell has Roach done? He is a special teamer at best who if we cut tomorrow would probably not even be in camp with another team. And he is who you want to hang Angelo's hat on? The fact is our defense has sucked more than a prostitute on dollar day since our super bowl season, and there is zero talent to fill in positions of need on that defense. We gave up Alex Brown and have what exactly behind him? Nothing...We cut Nathan Vasher and have what to replace him with? Another scrap heap player in Jennings...At safety we have what? The point is we have very few quality starters on this defense and of the ones we have Angelo has drafted 4 of them only if you include Tommie Harris and Zach Bowman as quality starters to join Briggs and Tillman.

Angelo's track record drafting players sucks. He is not director of pro personnel, he is our GM and that means he is responsible for the draft as well as FA pick ups. We have zero depth, very little top talent, and most of our positions are filled with hopes, prayers, and smoke and mirrors. Not to mention that we are relying on a staff to develop young players to contribute when past history shows they have very little capability in that area. I cannot stand Smith as a coach, but Angelo has done very little to help him in terms of bringing in talented young players to fill in gaps.

This is what Roach has done:

"Roach started 15 games last season and was fourth on the team with a career-high 82 tackles. As we detailed here, he was especially productive when it came to tackles for his position. The strong-side linebacker comes out during nickel situations and Roach averaged a tackle every 7.41 snaps, second on the roster to only Pro Bowl weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs."

Brad Biggs

Pretty sure he is a little better than a special teamer and would be in camp with another team if we cut him.

While it may be a bit misleading as it only provides insight into one area, it is also the area Angelo so often claims to be the most important and the one he supposedly hangs his hat on. Further, it is on the side of the ball he is supposed to be so good.

The 4 starters is a misleading stat. You're ignoring all the incumbant players we either signed or drafted who are locked into their positions. Wale, Alex Brown, Urlacher, Briggs, and Peanut are all high paid starters. With the exception of Brown, none have even had their jobs in question. That's almost 1/2 the defense.

Doesn't Angelo get credit for finding starters like Roach and Hunter off the scrap-heap? For signing Anthony Adams? Is he get blamed for the 6th & 7th round picks?

I agree we need to draft better but calling it a 15% hit rate is misleading.

Dammit! Just when my dislike of Smith it skyrocketing, you throw this at me! Seems like it'll be a photo finish on which turd is turdier... Bungelo or Zombie? Neck and neck...

Roach? What the hell has Roach done? He is a special teamer at best who if we cut tomorrow would probably not even be in camp with another team. And he is who you want to hang Angelo's hat on? The fact is our defense has sucked more than a prostitute on dollar day since our super bowl season, and there is zero talent to fill in positions of need on that defense. We gave up Alex Brown and have what exactly behind him? Nothing...We cut Nathan Vasher and have what to replace him with? Another scrap heap player in Jennings...At safety we have what? The point is we have very few quality starters on this defense and of the ones we have Angelo has drafted 4 of them only if you include Tommie Harris and Zach Bowman as quality starters to join Briggs and Tillman.

Angelo's track record drafting players sucks. He is not director of pro personnel, he is our GM and that means he is responsible for the draft as well as FA pick ups. We have zero depth, very little top talent, and most of our positions are filled with hopes, prayers, and smoke and mirrors. Not to mention that we are relying on a staff to develop young players to contribute when past history shows they have very little capability in that area. I cannot stand Smith as a coach, but Angelo has done very little to help him in terms of bringing in talented young players to fill in gaps.