Madden 11 Thoughts

Bears4Ever_34

I just got the game yesterday and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the game. I haven't yet experienced everything the game has to offer but to comment on the gameplay itself, I think it took a minimal step up from last year. I like how much faster the game feels now compared to last years. The whole acceleration thing is great because it gives guys like Chris Johnson and AP an advantage over some of the average RB's because of there abilities to get to top end speed quicker than most. The animations are not too much different. They added a new sideline animation and a few RB animations when they are being hit but overall I feel like this is still lacking the realness factor. Too many times I have thrown the ball deep where the receiver just has to jump up to snare it away from the defender but he doesn't even attempt to catch the ball.. The receiving game still needs major changes to make it feel like a real NFL game. There isn't enough WR/CB battles in the air for the ball.

I see the blocking has improved a little bit from last years game which is a +. The run blocking atleast has improved but I see the play action pass blocking is beyond brutal. It's almost impossible to run a succesful play action without first gaining big yardage on the ground the play before. You'll have a LB breathing down your back before you have time to throw the ball down field. That needs to change. Also I don't like the pass rushing game at all. I feel like the computer almost always gets rid of the ball before being taken down for a sack, and most times it's like a nano second before he hits the ground. This isn't very realistic at all and this really hurts my overall impression of the game. If a guy is being taken out from his blind side, chances are he's either going to fumble it or he'll be taken down for a sack.

The presentations before the game are pretty poor IMO. They basically kept the exact same setup from last year's game where they show the two QB's throwing and Chris Collinsworth babbles on for a minute discussing the same thing he always says. From what I can see, the only thing they changed here was, sometimes they show a QB getting off the bus before the game (I might also add the job they did on texturing those suits is beyond awful. They needed to spend a little more time on that.) They also added a quick scene that shows the team in the locker room before the game which is kinda meh.. Thank god they deleted the brutal halftime show of last years game when Alex Flannigan would talk about (The number of plays run) ever damn time. But in doing this, they didn't replace it with anything better, they simply just got rid of it.

I can't really comment on the franchise yet because I haven't finished a season, but from what I've read people have said there is no changes at all to Franchise mode and that really disappoints me. The same thing was said about Superstar mode but I never touch that because I think it's pretty worthless anyways.

As far as the commentary I'd say its another minimal improvement. They atleast got rid of Tom (Check for a pulse) Hammond who was atrocious in last year's game and brought in my absolute FAVORITE play by play guy, in Gus Johnson. Gus does add some excitement to the game with his calls but I have a feeling it's not going to be one that'll last. His calls are pretty energetic but I feel like it's nearly impossible to string together his calls to get a realistic feel of what's going on in the game at that moment. Sometimes he'll yell "WATCH OUT!" and then a second later the player gets tackled when you think his call would mean the guy is going to run for some major yardage. Sometimes it feels right. But those times are few and far between. This is something that they could work with an improve in next year's game though if they want to. I don't think it would be a very hard thing to do, EA just doesn't ever seem to enthused to get to work on making the game great. Collinsworth is basically the same boring commentator he was in last year's game and doesn't add anything to the play on the field. I think they definitely could have made major strides in this department after last year's dibacle but they just fell short. This isn't a game like NBA 2K where all of a sudden the commentators would pick a player to talk about for a little bit and maybe mention an interesting story or two while the game is going on. 2K did a fantastic job at that but Madden has none of that.

FINAL VERDICT:

IMO I'd say if you are a hardcore Madden fan, the game is worth it. I don't have XBOX Live updated so I don't know how online play is but the offline gameplay is about a B for me, if I were to give it a grade. Overall I'd give the game about a 7/10. They made some improvements but the game doesn't really expand on anything which is upsetting because there is so much more they could easily do to make it feel like a real NFL football game.

Has anyone played Madden on the WII? I am a lifetime Playstation guy, but my wife bought me a WII. In her mind, it was the better system because the kids can play it too. I didn't have the heart to tell her (as this was a gift she was excited to get me) that I have never owned a Nintendo, and frankly, the games I usually like are not really available for the WII. Anyway, I know Madden is available for the WII and was wondering if anyone has used that system for the game.

I just got the game yesterday and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the game. I haven't yet experienced everything the game has to offer but to comment on the gameplay itself, I think it took a minimal step up from last year. I like how much faster the game feels now compared to last years. The whole acceleration thing is great because it gives guys like Chris Johnson and AP an advantage over some of the average RB's because of there abilities to get to top end speed quicker than most. The animations are not too much different. They added a new sideline animation and a few RB animations when they are being hit but overall I feel like this is still lacking the realness factor. Too many times I have thrown the ball deep where the receiver just has to jump up to snare it away from the defender but he doesn't even attempt to catch the ball.. The receiving game still needs major changes to make it feel like a real NFL game. There isn't enough WR/CB battles in the air for the ball.

I see the blocking has improved a little bit from last years game which is a +. The run blocking atleast has improved but I see the play action pass blocking is beyond brutal. It's almost impossible to run a succesful play action without first gaining big yardage on the ground the play before. You'll have a LB breathing down your back before you have time to throw the ball down field. That needs to change. Also I don't like the pass rushing game at all. I feel like the computer almost always gets rid of the ball before being taken down for a sack, and most times it's like a nano second before he hits the ground. This isn't very realistic at all and this really hurts my overall impression of the game. If a guy is being taken out from his blind side, chances are he's either going to fumble it or he'll be taken down for a sack.

The presentations before the game are pretty poor IMO. They basically kept the exact same setup from last year's game where they show the two QB's throwing and Chris Collinsworth babbles on for a minute discussing the same thing he always says. From what I can see, the only thing they changed here was, sometimes they show a QB getting off the bus before the game (I might also add the job they did on texturing those suits is beyond awful. They needed to spend a little more time on that.) They also added a quick scene that shows the team in the locker room before the game which is kinda meh.. Thank god they deleted the brutal halftime show of last years game when Alex Flannigan would talk about (The number of plays run) ever damn time. But in doing this, they didn't replace it with anything better, they simply just got rid of it.

I can't really comment on the franchise yet because I haven't finished a season, but from what I've read people have said there is no changes at all to Franchise mode and that really disappoints me. The same thing was said about Superstar mode but I never touch that because I think it's pretty worthless anyways.

As far as the commentary I'd say its another minimal improvement. They atleast got rid of Tom (Check for a pulse) Hammond who was atrocious in last year's game and brought in my absolute FAVORITE play by play guy, in Gus Johnson. Gus does add some excitement to the game with his calls but I have a feeling it's not going to be one that'll last. His calls are pretty energetic but I feel like it's nearly impossible to string together his calls to get a realistic feel of what's going on in the game at that moment. Sometimes he'll yell "WATCH OUT!" and then a second later the player gets tackled when you think his call would mean the guy is going to run for some major yardage. Sometimes it feels right. But those times are few and far between. This is something that they could work with an improve in next year's game though if they want to. I don't think it would be a very hard thing to do, EA just doesn't ever seem to enthused to get to work on making the game great. Collinsworth is basically the same boring commentator he was in last year's game and doesn't add anything to the play on the field. I think they definitely could have made major strides in this department after last year's dibacle but they just fell short. This isn't a game like NBA 2K where all of a sudden the commentators would pick a player to talk about for a little bit and maybe mention an interesting story or two while the game is going on. 2K did a fantastic job at that but Madden has none of that.

FINAL VERDICT:

IMO I'd say if you are a hardcore Madden fan, the game is worth it. I don't have XBOX Live updated so I don't know how online play is but the offline gameplay is about a B for me, if I were to give it a grade. Overall I'd give the game about a 7/10. They made some improvements but the game doesn't really expand on anything which is upsetting because there is so much more they could easily do to make it feel like a real NFL football game.

Has anyone played Madden on the WII? I am a lifetime Playstation guy, but my wife bought me a WII. In her mind, it was the better system because the kids can play it too. I didn't have the heart to tell her (as this was a gift she was excited to get me) that I have never owned a Nintendo, and frankly, the games I usually like are not really available for the WII. Anyway, I know Madden is available for the WII and was wondering if anyone has used that system for the game.

I would STRONGLY advise sports games on the Wii. Unless you are playing Mario or some other original Nintendo game, the Wii is crap. The Wii has it's own style, and by that I mean, it's cartoonish style is tailor made for kids. One of my friends bought Madden 9 on the Wii a few years back and it was pretty bad.

Confused. You said you would strongly advise sports games on the WII, then seem to bash the same. Did you mean to say you would strongly advise against?

Trust me. You are preaching to the choir. The WII has been a blast to play with the family (5 and 8 year old kids). Golf, bowling and yard darts are among the family favorites. For me personally, not so much. Really wished she would have gotten me the P3 instead, but nope.

So the madden isn't worth it on WII?

I would STRONGLY advise sports games on the Wii. Unless you are playing Mario or some other original Nintendo game, the Wii is crap. The Wii has it's own style, and by that I mean, it's cartoonish style is tailor made for kids. One of my friends bought Madden 9 on the Wii a few years back and it was pretty bad.

Confused. You said you would strongly advise sports games on the WII, then seem to bash the same. Did you mean to say you would strongly advise against?

Trust me. You are preaching to the choir. The WII has been a blast to play with the family (5 and 8 year old kids). Golf, bowling and yard darts are among the family favorites. For me personally, not so much. Really wished she would have gotten me the P3 instead, but nope.

So the madden isn't worth it on WII?

Woops. Yeah sorry I meant advise against.

The kids have a Wii & I rented Madden last year to see what it was like(NoPS3) turned it off before halftime :shakehead

Thanks to both of you. I just found out I can rest games now with my online blockbuster subscription. I might try to rent last years version (assuming they don't have the new version) but will not be running out to buy it. Thanks for the feedback.

The kids have a Wii & I rented Madden last year to see what it was like(NoPS3) turned it off before halftime :shakehead

Thanks to both of you. I just found out I can rest games now with my online blockbuster subscription. I might try to rent last years version (assuming they don't have the new version) but will not be running out to buy it. Thanks for the feedback.

I just got Madden 11 on the Wii and while the Wii is not PS3 or anything from a graphics perspective, it isn't too bad either. The gameplay controls take some getting used to because it isn't press a button to throw or juke, it is make a motion with the remote; and the speed of the motion controls which action is performed, lob/bullet, etc. Once you get used to it, it's not too bad at all.

Thanks for the diff perspective. Like I said, I will rent the game first, and give it a try before spending the coin to buy the game.

It may be that Madden on the Wii is simply not as good as on playstation, but at the same time, you work with what you have. Madden on the Wii may be better than no Madden at all. I'm getting a bit tired of bowling and golf anyway.

Besides that, one of my favorite aspects of Madden was the GM aspect in the franchise as opposed to actuall game play anyway. I love roster moves, the draft, and working players stats up.

I just got Madden 11 on the Wii and while the Wii is not PS3 or anything from a graphics perspective, it isn't too bad either. The gameplay controls take some getting used to because it isn't press a button to throw or juke, it is make a motion with the remote; and the speed of the motion controls which action is performed, lob/bullet, etc. Once you get used to it, it's not too bad at all.

Thanks for the diff perspective. Like I said, I will rent the game first, and give it a try before spending the coin to buy the game.

It may be that Madden on the Wii is simply not as good as on playstation, but at the same time, you work with what you have. Madden on the Wii may be better than no Madden at all. I'm getting a bit tired of bowling and golf anyway.

Besides that, one of my favorite aspects of Madden was the GM aspect in the franchise as opposed to actuall game play anyway. I love roster moves, the draft, and working players stats up.

Since NFLE stopped being put on it thats all I play

So has anyone played the new game yet on Xbox or PS3? What are your impressions so far on the game? The more I play it the more I like it. I'm dominating with my franchise as the Bears. I'm 9-0 right now and Tommie Harris is beasting it, already with like 8 sacks on the year. Anderson and Peppers each have 6 so the line is playing pretty damn good haha. Now if only they can do it in real life!