Top 5 Biggest Surprises of the Bears Season

Cutsizzle

Can't say I disagree...

I'd add Forte. Taylor was brought on to be insurance, and Forte has responded and had a wonderful season.

I'd also add Tice and the O-line. We thought they'd be a steaming pile of $hit. Now, it least it's not steaming.

Lastly, I'd add the pay of the D-backs. Our secondary was though of as horrid. Now, they have shown they can hang.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/01/21/to...10-2011-season/

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this top 5? What is missing and what shouldn't be on the top 5?

Can't say I disagree...

I'd add Forte. Taylor was brought on to be insurance, and Forte has responded and had a wonderful season.

I'd also add Tice and the O-line. We thought they'd be a steaming pile of $hit. Now, it least it's not steaming.

Lastly, I'd add the pay of the D-backs. Our secondary was though of as horrid. Now, they have shown they can hang.

I'd add Hester as well. Just being back there again was a surprise.

I agree with Lith about the O-Line.

But to me the big thing was Lovie Smith. He finally held players accountable. He put aside his "Loyalty at any cost" mentality and I think I am actually starting to respect him...not a lot...just a little.

I would retitle the first one "AWOL Tommie Harris," and combine it with Devin Aromashodu. If someone had told me before the season that DA would languish on the bench the majority of the season, especially after destroying it towards the end of last year, I would have called it insanity.

i don't think i would be this quick to prop them up. they are still horrid in my opinion. they are still not engaging at the LOS even if they play tighter. i want to also add... peanut had a good game against the seahawks. this was because he was lining up against the type of player he was drafted to cover about 8 years ago. a big bodied receiver who was not blazingly quick off the LOS.

that is not the norm anymore in todays nfl and certainly not against the packers. most WR's are quick and fast and i still don't believe he or our other CB's can cover those types of receivers well. this is going to be a real tough matchup for our DB's and if we can't figure out how to close the short passing gaps over the middle we could very well be in a lot of trouble.

His top five are as follows

1. NFC Championship, #2 seed, NFC North Title, 11-5.

2. Team health

3. Peppers and Idonije

4. Martz and Cutler team up for balance offense.

5. Tommie Harris MIA

My thoughts on this list:

5. Tommie has been missing in action since 2007, I think none of us are surprised that he hasn't shown up this year. We are used to him not showing up and just wasting a roster spot. I think for tommie Harris to be a surprise he would have to have a productive season. That I think would surprise us.

4. I admit that this past offseason I did not want Martz and his pass happy offense to come to Chicago. When it happened I feared that he would get Cutler killed, because our line isn't good enough to play martz ball. The start of the season up to the bye week confirmed my fears Cutler already with one concussion and we still show no balance or interest in running the ball. But we have been surprised by the changes made in the bye week and it truly is like watching two different teams. The Bears self scouted, figured out what they could do, what they couldn't do, how to get the most out of what we have, how to mask the weaknesses we have. Started with running the ball more, taking advantage of Cutler's mobility, and having stability in the line. It's hard to build a solid line when you are constantly changing it up. It takes time for guys to work together stability is very important for an offensive line.

3. I'm iffy on whether I see this as a surprise, we paid him big bucks to come here and be a factor and he has done that. By being a factor he makes the others around him better. To see this as a surprise I guess would be the same to say it's a surprise that Cutler has stepped up. We have signed our share of money guys over the years to see them come here and do nothing, so in that sense of doubt it's a pleasant surprise that Pep is making an impact like we had hoped he would. Stats don't tell the whole story here.

2. Could not agree more and it's surprising to the point of freaky, like voodoo freaky. We entered the Divisional game with out a single player not available to play from our opening day 53 man roster. That is exceedingly rare, considering the beating Jay took at the start of the year I wasn't sure he'd be walking by the end of the year. To have the health that we have had to this point is almost unheard of.

1. couldn't agree more here as well who in their right mind would have predicted us to be in the NFC Championship game, have the record we have, win the north, get the #2 seed (now we did need help for that). Only someone drinking a keg of Kool-Aid may thought we'd be where we are. I know I didn't think we'd make the playoffs and especially going into the bye week. to finish the season wining 7 of our last 9 is the big surprise.

I still contend that they have gone from what many considered a glaring weakness to decent.

i don't think i would be this quick to prop them up. they are still horrid in my opinion. they are still not engaging at the LOS even if they play tighter. i want to also add... peanut had a good game against the seahawks. this was because he was lining up against the type of player he was drafted to cover about 8 years ago. a big bodied receiver who was not blazingly quick off the LOS.

that is not the norm anymore in todays nfl and certainly not against the packers. most WR's are quick and fast and i still don't believe he or our other CB's can cover those types of receivers well. this is going to be a real tough matchup for our DB's and if we can't figure out how to close the short passing gaps over the middle we could very well be in a lot of trouble.