QB's holding team workouts

azbearsfan

Not to my knowledge but I don't really care too much. Drew Brees and Peyton are also responsible for cutting off negotiations and moving them into the court room where this process will sit until July. Maybe they feel guilty for that?

I've read where some qb's (Drew Brees and Eli Manning) are paying for and running team workouts.

Is Cutler doing this and do you think we will be behind if the Bears are not doing this?

Don't hold your breath. He's not that guy.

I think the real question will be if he shows up to workouts if someone else organizes them. I think the odds are good that he will do that if he's in Chicago.

Tom S.

Don't hold your breath. He's not that guy.

I think the real question will be if he shows up to workouts if someone else organizes them. I think the odds are good that he will do that if he's in Chicago.

Tom S.

Last year Cutler spent a lot of extra time working with the WRs on the new offense, leading those workouts. If you are expecting him to lead some Dline workouts you're right, he's not that guy. I don't really care about that either. At this time of year most players are all over the country working out where ever they choose. Two of the Ravens offensive leaders are right here in Mesa. McNabb is probably at his house in Chandler like he is most offseasons.

Just because a players shows up at Peyton Manning's workout sessions doesn't mean he's working hard. Players are either professional in their approach or they're not. I saw nothing in Cutler's work habits and physical conditioning last year to indicate he's not professional in that aspect. Same for Urlacher, Briggs, and the vast majority of the team. It's the guys like Marcus Harrison that have problems and I just can't see any player changing the attitude of players of that type. If he won't respond to the guy who allocates playing time why would he respond to Jay Cutler?

I do think as the offseason progresses and if the lockout continues you'll start seeing some effort from the players to get together for some workouts but at this point it's still early May. I still stand by my point that Manning and Brees forced the negotiations into the court house and thus the eventual 2 month delay it caused. They have more ownership of the current stalemate and the delay into early June. I know the union puts up a united front but the lower tier players, especially those who are or might be FA, have to be concerned that nobody is talking now and how that will impact their futures.

Last year Cutler spent a lot of extra time working with the WRs on the new offense, leading those workouts. If you are expecting him to lead some Dline workouts you're right, he's not that guy. I don't really care about that either. At this time of year most players are all over the country working out where ever they choose. Two of the Ravens offensive leaders are right here in Mesa. McNabb is probably at his house in Chandler like he is most offseasons.

Just because a players shows up at Peyton Manning's workout sessions doesn't mean he's working hard. Players are either professional in their approach or they're not. I saw nothing in Cutler's work habits and physical conditioning last year to indicate he's not professional in that aspect. Same for Urlacher, Briggs, and the vast majority of the team. It's the guys like Marcus Harrison that have problems and I just can't see any player changing the attitude of players of that type. If he won't respond to the guy who allocates playing time why would he respond to Jay Cutler?

I do think as the offseason progresses and if the lockout continues you'll start seeing some effort from the players to get together for some workouts but at this point it's still early May. I still stand by my point that Manning and Brees forced the negotiations into the court house and thus the eventual 2 month delay it caused. They have more ownership of the current stalemate and the delay into early June. I know the union puts up a united front but the lower tier players, especially those who are or might be FA, have to be concerned that nobody is talking now and how that will impact their futures.

good post

Last year Cutler spent a lot of extra time working with the WRs on the new offense, leading those workouts. If you are expecting him to lead some Dline workouts you're right, he's not that guy.

When I read your post I thought if he's taking umbrage to Tom Shannon's comment, he's really reading too much into it...and besides, Tom's right...he's not that type of guy. ...that is, the kind to show leadership when there is no precedent and it might not even be necessary. I believe Cutler knows what it takes to do his job, but don't expect him to be someone he's not. The story below reminded me of this topic.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fd...le=HP_headlines

I don't think Cutler will do much more than setup some throwing sessions with the WRs. He said he'd do something if the lockout drags into May and I have reason to doubt that sometime in the near future we'll hear about him and the WRs getting together. I still think the whole team workout thing is overblown. There's a reason we have 18 coaches working for the Bears.

One thing to add: If Hanie wants to workout so badly why isn't he making all the calls necessary to set this up? In fact he should be glad if Cutler isn't there with the WRs because he'd be getting more reps with them and shouldn't that help him secure the #2 spot? You would think some of the WR would have the same interest. Perhaps we are getting a bit of insight into why Martz wasn't too confident in Hanie last season?

I'm sure ESPN is still reporting how self-centered he is..

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...te-lockout.html

In the morning, Cutler served as the grand marshal of the Holiday World Walk to Cure Diabetes. He signed every autograph request, including arms and shoes, and he posed for dozens of pictures with many of the 1,600-plus walkers. Then, he walked more than a mile through the park — mostly in pouring rain.

..........People had such a good time, the event ended about 90 minutes later than scheduled.

And Cutler was among the last to leave.

“I can’t remember the number of times people came up and said, ‘It was a great event. Hope you come back and do more of it,’ ” Cutler said. “It just reinforces to me how good these people are, and it makes me want to come back more and have some stuff here