Madden 12

defiantgiant

Closest thing to football news during the lockout? Football video game news! So apparently Madden 12 is going to have a new feature called Dynamic Player Performance: it's basically confidence/streakiness built into the game. A QB's confidence goes down if he gets sacked or picked off enough times, and he performs worse on subsequent throws. It goes up when he completes a few passes or throws a TD, and then he starts performing better. Same goes for every other position: some WRs play better if they get a lot of passes early on, etc.

Specifically, they mentioned that Jay Cutler's player rating can go as low as 75 or as high as 90, depending on whether he's hot or cold. I don't know how I feel about the feature, honestly. For one thing, Cutler's confidence has never been the issue. If anything, he's TOO confident when he's having a bad day. I'm sure DeAngelo Hall could have told EA Sports that much. More importantly, I always hate it when it feels like the game's changing the rules to make you lose because you're "supposed" to lose. For example, the Rivalry feature in Madden 11 feels incredibly intrusive: the instant you get anything going against a division rival, the rubber-band AI kicks in to the point where you can't complete a simple pass.

I hope they do a better job with the feel of Dynamic Performance than they've done in the past, because it could be kind of cool if it were executed right. I like that rookies are generally less consistent than vets, even if they're really talented. And I like that the Player Roles thing means there's a real benefit to signing a backup like Mark Brunell to mentor a young QB like Mark Sanchez. I just hope that this isn't another in the long line of Madden "features" that just ended up messing with a good thing. Is anybody really happy about Fight for the Fumble, or can we all agree that the game would have been better without a button-mashing quicktime event? If the lockout is still going in August, I'm going to be playing a TON of the new Madden - I really hope they don't mess this one up.

Closest thing to football news during the lockout? Football video game news! So apparently Madden 12 is going to have a new feature called Dynamic Player Performance: it's basically confidence/streakiness built into the game. A QB's confidence goes down if he gets sacked or picked off enough times, and he performs worse on subsequent throws. It goes up when he completes a few passes or throws a TD, and then he starts performing better. Same goes for every other position: some WRs play better if they get a lot of passes early on, etc.

Specifically, they mentioned that Jay Cutler's player rating can go as low as 75 or as high as 90, depending on whether he's hot or cold. I don't know how I feel about the feature, honestly. For one thing, Cutler's confidence has never been the issue. If anything, he's TOO confident when he's having a bad day. I'm sure DeAngelo Hall could have told EA Sports that much. More importantly, I always hate it when it feels like the game's changing the rules to make you lose because you're "supposed" to lose. For example, the Rivalry feature in Madden 11 feels incredibly intrusive: the instant you get anything going against a division rival, the rubber-band AI kicks in to the point where you can't complete a simple pass.

I hope they do a better job with the feel of Dynamic Performance than they've done in the past, because it could be kind of cool if it were executed right. I like that rookies are generally less consistent than vets, even if they're really talented. And I like that the Player Roles thing means there's a real benefit to signing a backup like Mark Brunell to mentor a young QB like Mark Sanchez. I just hope that this isn't another in the long line of Madden "features" that just ended up messing with a good thing. Is anybody really happy about Fight for the Fumble, or can we all agree that the game would have been better without a button-mashing quicktime event? If the lockout is still going in August, I'm going to be playing a TON of the new Madden - I really hope they don't mess this one up.

I hope it is good. I haven't played Madden in a couple of years because I like the gameplay of the NCAA franchise so much better.

On the other hand, I just restarted the Bears franchise in Head Coach 2009. Thats truely a game that I dont notice how much time has passed. I did a draft last night, I thought I had been playing an hour and I look up and its 3:30........and my kids get up at 6:30.......needless to say I'm a bit tired today.

This is what I am ready for.

Year after year, the game designers strive to create the best football game they can create, and this year, with Madden NFL 12, they've really pumped the franchise mode with features that the users have been asking for. In some cases, those changes have been years in the making, and had to wait on the technology to catch up in order to put it in the game.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/65002/m...e-Mode-Preview/

This is what I am ready for.

Year after year, the game designers strive to create the best football game they can create, and this year, with Madden NFL 12, they've really pumped the franchise mode with features that the users have been asking for. In some cases, those changes have been years in the making, and had to wait on the technology to catch up in order to put it in the game.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/65002/m...e-Mode-Preview/

Looks like they are actually taking some of the concepts from Head Coach 2009 and putting them in the franchise mode. Especially the scouting and the free agent biddings.

• 1 month later...

I'm an addict. I buy every one every year. However, I do think that the play over the past couple years really hasn't improved. I always eagerly await the next. So, hopefully, it'll be a good improvement this year!