Bears sign safety Brandon Meriweather

DGBears

Guest TerraTor
Because I'm assuming he wouldn't be very happy with a demotion. He'd sooner go elsewhere than play behind somebody here.

Not sure I understand that logic. Nobody on the team is a better SS than him..

Not sure I understand that logic. Nobody on the team is a better SS than him..

Major Wright's natural position is at SS. That's what he was drafted as when he came out of college. That's the position he played. With the addition of Brandon Merriweather who is more of a pure FS, that means less time for Major Wright in that spot. And because Major Wright is one of Lovie's coveted projects and a former 3rd round draft pick, the Bears are putting a lot of stock into him being a productive player which means they want to give him every chance in the world to succeed. Moving Wright back to his normal position of SS next year would allow for both he and Merriweather to play at the same time and ultimately, that's what I think the Bears are looking to do. It really all depends on how BM fits in this season, but he is not just coming in here to "Fill in" for the injured. He's a talented athlete that's going to see the field quite a bit.

I would definitely like to keep Chris Harris, atleast until his play starts to decline, whether that be as a starter or backup. However, I'd seriously doubt he'd resign here if he isn't going to start.

First off, several of the above commented wondering what his status would be. Until he's with the team, who knows?

Major Wright's natural position is at SS. That's what he was drafted as when he came out of college. That's the position he played. With the addition of Brandon Merriweather who is more of a pure FS, that means less time for Major Wright in that spot. And because Major Wright is one of Lovie's coveted projects and a former 3rd round draft pick, the Bears are putting a lot of stock into him being a productive player which means they want to give him every chance in the world to succeed.

Don't forget, D-Manning was a natural free safety. We started him at FS, then benched him. Two years ago, we made him our starting nickel-back, then days before the season started, we announced he would play FS & Nickel.

Even more confusing: Chris Harris is a natural SS. D-Manning a FS. So we flipped the two. I bitched that we did it, yet it was the best move. I bring this up because D-Manning, like Major Wright, is a Lovie pet project.

That being said, coming out of college, they said Major was a SS. Watching him play, he's too light for that position IMO.

Moving Wright back to his normal position of SS next year would allow for both he and Merriweather to play at the same time and ultimately, that's what I think the Bears are looking to do. It really all depends on how BM fits in this season, but he is not just coming in here to "Fill in" for the injured. He's a talented athlete that's going to see the field quite a bit.

Our goals for FS is simple: don't give up touchdowns. Don't bite on the run and watch your guy dancing in the end-zone. To me that doesn't sound like Merriweather. If Major gets hurt or is bad, I see us moving Harris back to FS.

I would definitely like to keep Chris Harris, atleast until his play starts to decline, whether that be as a starter or backup. However, I'd seriously doubt he'd resign here if he isn't going to start.

Chris Harris is like Anthony Adams in that we never seem to like him, yet they are still the best we have. We can worry about next year next year.

I don't want to jump the gun too early on this but you may be able to mark down Stephen Paea on that list after next year. We traded up to get this guy in the 2nd round and he hasn't been anywhere near a play through 4 weeks of preseason. I don't know if that knee is bothering him or he just flat out sucks. I hated the pick to begin with... But he could be heading in that "Bust" direction if he doesn't get better next year.

I feel your concern.

I'd normally not be worried at this point, but given our track record, I am.

I don't want to jump the gun too early on this but you may be able to mark down Stephen Paea on that list after next year. We traded up to get this guy in the 2nd round and he hasn't been anywhere near a play through 4 weeks of preseason. I don't know if that knee is bothering him or he just flat out sucks. I hated the pick to begin with... But he could be heading in that "Bust" direction if he doesn't get better next year.

Maybe, but I've always thought that DT was a position that required the most experience to be successful. You have to be a man among men, and the Bears have quite a few men with Adams, Okoye, Toeneia, and Melton.

I'd also add that Paea wants to play 3 technique, and mid-way through camp we moved him to NT where he struggled.

Tommie never started his rookie year until the mid-way point when we were really bad. The fact that we have so much quality & experienced depth makes it understandable that he's so low on the depth chart.

Wow. A million $$$ signing bonus & a 2.25 base salary. Although we are paying Spencer to be the back-up center at 3 mill. What's mind boggling is that we probably could have given the Pat's a 7th round pick and paid him less. The guy gets cut from the team and receives a pay raise. Weird.

The Bears seem far more content then ever to give one year deals to players. This seems to be a change in our philosophy.