well, i guess this sums it up

Lucky Luciano

Good stuff...

first quarter report card on the bears by dan durkin...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/10/05/dur...er-report-card/

i sure can't argue with much of it although i would have liked to see a report card on our coaching staff and front office. but then i guess there is just so much misery you can put in one story.

Agreed. I would have liked to see discussion about the coaching staff and management as well, but can't argue with much.

I will say this one thing. IMHO, our DL has not been as bad as they have been made out to be. They set the bar very high week one, and have not matched that, however, I think they have been pretty decent to good.

I've seen opposing QBs getting rid of the ball much quicker. Part of the issue is our DBs continue to play so far off the LOS, they give QBs easy quick release outs. It's really difficult for a DL, any DL, to pressure the passer when WRs are open immediately. WRs seems to also be open for quick slants, again, making the job of the DL tougher.

I'm not saying they have been great, but I don't think QBs are often just sitting back in the pocket on 5 and 7 step drops.

The two work together. A DB can't cover a WR all day, so without any pass rush, even the best DBs will get burned. Vice versa, if the DBs are giving WRs loads of space, then the best DL isn't going to generate consistent pressure. I'm not saying our DL is great, but I do think they have done better than some have credited them for. If our DBs could press, or the staff would allow them too, I think our DL may be getting to the QB more often, but as it is, every time the QB feels pressure, he has an easy, wide open target.

Wow. Great article. There is very little to argue with.

Agreed. I would have liked to see discussion about the coaching staff and management as well, but can't argue with much.

I will say this one thing. IMHO, our DL has not been as bad as they have been made out to be. They set the bar very high week one, and have not matched that, however, I think they have been pretty decent to good.

I've seen opposing QBs getting rid of the ball much quicker. Part of the issue is our DBs continue to play so far off the LOS, they give QBs easy quick release outs. It's really difficult for a DL, any DL, to pressure the passer when WRs are open immediately. WRs seems to also be open for quick slants, again, making the job of the DL tougher.

I'm not saying they have been great, but I don't think QBs are often just sitting back in the pocket on 5 and 7 step drops.

The two work together. A DB can't cover a WR all day, so without any pass rush, even the best DBs will get burned. Vice versa, if the DBs are giving WRs loads of space, then the best DL isn't going to generate consistent pressure. I'm not saying our DL is great, but I do think they have done better than some have credited them for. If our DBs could press, or the staff would allow them too, I think our DL may be getting to the QB more often, but as it is, every time the QB feels pressure, he has an easy, wide open target.

And my goodness, how long have we been complaining about that? I've been saying it for as long as Lovie and his defense has been here. The slant and quick 5-yard passes are there ALL DAY LONG. Which is why the opposing QBs always seem to have big numbers against the Bears and great completion percentages. Which, of course, leads to the media fellating the opposing QBs without actually pointing to the flaws inherent in the Bears' defensive system (i.e. gives up yards, tightens up in the red zone).

For years now... I think Brian Griese was a perfect example of a mediocre QB that ate us up knowing exactly how to beat us. I can't recall the year, but it wasn't that long ago.

And my goodness, how long have we been complaining about that? I've been saying it for as long as Lovie and his defense has been here. The slant and quick 5-yard passes are there ALL DAY LONG. Which is why the opposing QBs always seem to have big numbers against the Bears and great completion percentages. Which, of course, leads to the media fellating the opposing QBs without actually pointing to the flaws inherent in the Bears' defensive system (i.e. gives up yards, tightens up in the red zone).