Smith snaps when asked about Martz

balta1701-A

Coach Lovie Smith got instantly irritated when he was asked Wednesday after practice if Mike Martz will return as his coordinator next season.

“What kind of question is that at this time?” Smith said in the Walter Payton Center. “What kind of question is that? Why would you ask a question like that anyway?”

The reasons are pretty simple. Martz is in the final year of his contract and Smith has made it clear he’s the man who will decide on the coordinator’s future here.

Much speculation has surrounded Martz’s future during a season that was starting to click offensively until quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a fractured right thumb in a Nov. 20 victory over the San Diego Chargers, the last game the Bears won.

“I’ve addressed that already and obviously I would sure like to be back,” Martz said before Smith’s session that ended with the question about the coordinator’s future. “I think all of that stuff works out. This is going to be a great football team and I would like to be a part of it. We’ll just see how it works out. We’ll address that when the season is over.”

Speculation about Martz, 60, intensified during the last month after his name was linked to college openings and then it was reported he will not be back. He was asked if he has gotten any word from those above him if he will return.

“All of those kinds of things I would never discuss,” Martz said. “It is what it is. I’ve addressed it and I like it here. Hopefully, it works out.”

Link

Fantastic, sounds like another year of the Martzball. So we get to look forward to his awesome free agent picks like Roy Williams and Brandon Maniamcrappy, anybody who had a decent year in his offense years ago (I predict Mike Furrey). Then he will ask the offense to do more than it can until he gets to a game where he throws 98% of the time and Cutler gets sacked 10 times and people are calling for his head, then Lovie and JA will put him in timeout, at which point he will balance it out just enough to keep his job, yet call enough garbage mixed in to get our QB killed and pad the sack stats for the opponents d-line.

Yippie.....

Doubtful. Smith is just being his usual self. Martz is not under contract after this season. I fully believe he will move on and Tice will move up in order to provide some semblance of continuity for Jay.

Fantastic, sounds like another year of the Martzball. So we get to look forward to his awesome free agent picks like Roy Williams and Brandon Maniamcrappy, anybody who had a decent year in his offense years ago (I predict Mike Furrey). Then he will ask the offense to do more than it can until he gets to a game where he throws 98% of the time and Cutler gets sacked 10 times and people are calling for his head, then Lovie and JA will put him in timeout, at which point he will balance it out just enough to keep his job, yet call enough garbage mixed in to get our QB killed and pad the sack stats for the opponents d-line.

Yippie.....

Doubtful. Smith is just being his usual self. Martz is not under contract after this season. I fully believe he will move on and Tice will move up in order to provide some semblance of continuity for Jay.

"Martz is our coordinator. We'll have to look at the film, but until that time, he's our guy."--Lovie Smith

"Martz is our coordinator. We'll have to look at the film, but until that time, he's our guy."--Lovie Smith

The funny thing is, I don't know if you're BS'ing or if that's an actual quote that came out recently. Lovie is so bland that it's impossible to decipher the made up quotes from his actual quotes.

Seifert

Smith's rare loss of public composure suggests Martz's status is a sensitive subject, both for him and within the Bears organization. I suppose it's possible that Smith hasn't begun the process of evaluating Martz, whose contract expires after the season. But generally speaking, it's not a good sign for an assistant coach when his boss won't say anything comforting about his future.

So as the Bears presumably mull a future without Martz, they'll have to weigh his performance versus the value of continuity. They'll need to decide which is more important, and if there is a way to maintain what they did well this season even while hiring a new coordinator.

As rumors of Martz's demise swirled this season, I wrote several times about the collateral damage of regularly swapping offensive coordinators. The value of continuity within a scheme is reflected annually in the NFL's best teams. As the chart shows, eight of the nine teams who have qualified for the 2011 playoffs have employed the same offensive coordinator and/or used the same scheme for at least the past three seasons.

Martz has certainly displayed some pocks since the Bears hired him in 2010, most notably by opening each season with a skewed pass-run ratio that needed substantial adjustment by midseason. Would Martz's well-known stubbornness outweigh the detriment of starting over? Remember, the Bears' offense was humming in November before quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a season-ending thumb injury. In a subsequent interview, Cutler made clear he doesn't want to start over.

"If you look at the offenses around the league that are really good -- Green Bay, the Patriots, the Saints -- there is consistency there," Cutler said. "They've been in the same system. They've had the same offensive coordinator. They've had the same receivers, tight ends, guys around them that have grown up in the system.

"If you want to be an elite offense in this league, that's what you have to do. You can't keep shipping guys in and out. You can't keep doing different offensive coordinators left and right. It's hard on quarterbacks and it's hard on everyone to learn that kind of stuff."

Cutler offered the quintessential argument for maintaining continuity, and the Bears have had enough success under Martz to make it a reasonable possibility. But if Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo decide to hire a new offensive coordinator, is it possible to maintain most of their scheme?

The answer is maybe, with several caveats and an acknowledgement that I don't know how interested the candidate would be. But if the Bears elevate offensive line coach Mike Tice, they'll have a chance to build off their midseason success in 2011 and minimize the teardown that usually occurs in coordinator transitions.

Tice and Martz have much different personalities and personal histories, but their football backgrounds aren't as dissimilar as you might think. They both have roots in the Don Coryell "three-digit" offense, a scheme Tice learned while playing for ex-Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs. Similar to Martz, Tice likes to throw downfield and isn't interested in the shorter passing routes featured in West Coast offenses. With Tice as their offensive coordinator, the Bears could build off the terminology and scheme they have installed over the past two years.

And if his time as the Minnesota Vikings' head coach is any indication, Tice also values some of the adjustments the Bears have made in the past two seasons: Balance with the running game and more liberal use of tight ends to block and provide important outlet receivers against pressure.

Over four seasons with the Vikings, Tice's teams produced 8,140 rushing yards, an average of 2,035 per season. And in half of those years, Tice's leading receiver was tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who caught a combined 140 passes in 2004 and 2005.

Based on Cutler's public request for more balance, quicker drops and better protection, my guess is that he would be on the same philosophical page as Tice. And after being on the same team for the past two years, they should have at least some level of personal acquaintance and be ahead of where a coordinator from outside the building would start.

And now, the caveats. Tice was a quarterback at the University of Maryland, a tight end for 14 seasons in the NFL and has been a long-time offensive line coach. But despite that pedigree, he has never been an offensive coordinator and has never been the primary playcaller of a team. That's not to say he couldn't do it. It's just that after 15 years as an NFL coach, he hasn't done it yet. (We should note that the same was true for current Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli when he was installed in 2010.)

Second, Tice has restored his reputation over the past two years as an exceptional offensive line coach. Elevating him to offensive coordinator almost certainly would rob the Bears of that drill-by-drill expertise. It's difficult, if not impossible, to do both jobs. They would have to hire a new offensive line coach to replace him.

The Tennessee Titans were prepared to offer Tice their offensive coordinator job last offseason. The Bears denied the Titans' request for an interview, giving Tice a new contract instead. For that reason alone, I would imagine the Bears would at least discuss Tice as a possibility if they let Martz go. It wouldn't be a slam-dunk hire, but it would fall well short of starting over. That alone would make Tice worth careful consideration.

Coming up with Smith-isms is like fishing with Dynamite... We're ALL too familiar with them!

The funny thing is, I don't know if you're BS'ing or if that's an actual quote that came out recently. Lovie is so bland that it's impossible to decipher the made up quotes from his actual quotes.