Is Forte worth what McCoy got?

Stinger226

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tougher-Game-of-Tag.html

There is no limit to how many times the same player can be franchise tagged.

From National Football Post/Andrew Brandt- If a player is coming off a season as a Tag player or had a very high salary number in his previous year, he is still protected, as the Tag will be 120% of his previous year’s number. And, although if a player is tagged three consecutive seasons he must have the highest Tag number available, there is no limitation on the number of consecutive uses of the Franchise Tag on the same player.

If the above is true, we really have nothing to worry about.

The only thing is that in year 3 Forte would get tagged with the QB amount - which this year is $14 million. I don't think we tag him a 3rd time at the much.

They won't tag him for $14 million. He'll be gone.

Peace :dabears

It'll be higher than that by then, but as a RB turning 30, his contract demands should be quite a bit more reasonable.

The real question is when he hits his version of Ladanian Tomlinson's 2009.

The only thing is that in year 3 Forte would get tagged with the QB amount - which this year is $14 million. I don't think we tag him a 3rd time at the much.

Oh, I see now. So the only players that should care much about the infinite tagging thing are the QBs. Someone like Peyton could be had for only 14M/yr (which would increase in the future). But you'd still have to get him on your team first...so the Broncos couldn't have gone that route.

Oh, I see now. So the only players that should care much about the infinite tagging thing are the QBs. Someone like Peyton could be had for only 14M/yr (which would increase in the future). But you'd still have to get him on your team first...so the Broncos couldn't have gone that route.

Any position would get the QB tender in year 3 unless their previous tag + 20% is more. Then that's the tag.

The exception on that is that it's either the franchise amount, or 120% of the players previous year's salary. The 20% annual raise will limit infinite tagging eventually. For instance, the QB tag (or a 3rd time tagged guy) starting at $14 million would go:

$14.00

$16.80

$20.16

$24.19

$29.03

$34.84

$41.80