James Anderson signed

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Saw an article on ESPN Chicago about how we are getting more athletic at the LB position, possibly hinting at the fact that the Bears may deviate away from that cover 2, still stick with a 4-3 front, but play their LB's like it's a 3-4. The more I look at these signings, the more I like them. I'm all for more athletes. Hopefully we get Arthur Brown and everything will be golden.

Saw an article on ESPN Chicago about how we are getting more athletic at the LB position, possibly hinting at the fact that the Bears may deviate away from that cover 2, still stick with a 4-3 front, but play their LB's like it's a 3-4. The more I look at these signings, the more I like them. I'm all for more athletes. Hopefully we get Arthur Brown and everything will be golden.

If that's the case, then it makes the devious, master-mind plan we talked about after the draft last year (i.e. Emery drafting for a future without Lovie while setting up a potential transition to a 3-4) even more realistic. Maybe then McClellin would turn into a more productive player? It may be too early to judge him, but 7 tackles in the rookie year of a first rounder is atrocious.

The only issue I have with Brown is that he gets knicked up a bit. He plays through it, but that doesn't always transfer to success on the field. Otherwise, I don't see many weaknesses in his game.

If that's the case, then it makes the devious, master-mind plan we talked about after the draft last year (i.e. Emery drafting for a future without Lovie while setting up a potential transition to a 3-4) even more realistic. Maybe then McClellin would turn into a more productive player? It may be too early to judge him, but 7 tackles in the rookie year of a first rounder is atrocious.

Could be. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears use McClellin in multiple roles defensively. I think you will see him play some SLB occasionally and rush the passer the way Rosevelt Colvin did back in the day. I think you'll see him do a lot of what he did last year with his hand on the ground as well. Eventually, maybe they decide to move to a 3-4 front, but even if they don't, there are ways that you could utilize these athletic LB's we have now that you couldn't do with Nick Roach, Urlacher (the Old Urlacher) and Briggs. Williams and Anderson have experience in both systems and they know how to rush the passer as well. It will be very interesting to see what this defense will look like in training camp.

The only issue I have with Brown is that he gets knicked up a bit. He plays through it, but that doesn't always transfer to success on the field. Otherwise, I don't see many weaknesses in his game.

I agree. That scares me a little bit, but hopefully the added muscle will help him withstand a lot of the shots he gives out.

I'd like that...What kind of scheme did the Panthers run that their Strong Side LB racked up so many tackles??

As for the 3-4 talks we all know I'm game. With the one year contracts to the 2 LBs we got it's really hard to say that just yet though. It does leave the door open to it next year with some new guys next year though. Maybe give SMC another year to see if he can play DE and if he doesn't grow then move on next year to him playing the rusg LB role.