James Anderson signed

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Fantastic signing. Highly productive in 2 of the last 3 years and he was on his way to another one last year if not for a back injury...also look at these combine numbers....

Campus: 4.47 in the 40-yard dash … 385-pound bench press … 540-pound squat … 326-pound power clean … 41.5-inch vertical jump …

Combine: 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash. … 40-inch vertical jump. … 10'04" broad jump. …

Impressive athlete.

If him and Williams play like they're capable of playing and stay healthy I think the LB corp can be borderline amazing.

Wow, I really like this signing. He was mainly cut due to cap reasons and is an actual upgrade over Roach for a lot less money.

Starting LB's looks pretty solid: Briggs-Williams-Anderson. Then we draft an LB and we are looking pretty good.

Jason, this really adds to our draft flexibility now. We are now forced to take an LB early unless it is a great value.

I know health will be a concern, but that would be the same with Urlacher. Taking a step back and looking at this, Williams/Anderson > Urlacher/Roach, especially considering what we paid for them.

I agree with everything you say. With the exception of the guard position, pending health or an upset, we have our opening day starting line-up in place.

Wow, I really like this signing. He was mainly cut due to cap reasons and is an actual upgrade over Roach for a lot less money.

Starting LB's looks pretty solid: Briggs-Williams-Anderson. Then we draft an LB and we are looking pretty good.

Jason, this really adds to our draft flexibility now. We are now forced to take an LB early unless it is a great value.

I know health will be a concern, but that would be the same with Urlacher. Taking a step back and looking at this, Williams/Anderson > Urlacher/Roach, especially considering what we paid for them.

I agree with everything you say. With the exception of the guard position, pending health or an upset, we have our opening day starting line-up in place.

Yeah, pretty close, and hard to say we are not better going into this year. If we go OG, LB, WR, DT, CB in the draft, we will be looking pretty good. OG comes in and starts, then get the speedy slot WR as an upgrade, get the young LB who will take over in the middle, go CB for nickel, or add depth at DT. Depending on who is available at what slot will determine the order. I see OG being addressed in first two rounds, then depending on who is available WR/LB/CB going in the other early pick.

QB – Cutler

RB – Forte

TE – Bennett

WR – Marshall

WR2 – Jeffery

TE/FB/WR3 – Rodriguez/Bennett

LOT – Bushrod

LOG – Brown/Rookie

C – Garza

ROG – Carimi

ROT – Webb

LDE – Wootton/McClellin

LDT – Melton

RDT – Paea

RDE – Peppers

WLB – Briggs

MLB – Williams

SLB – Anderson

LCB – Jennings

RCB - Tillman

SS – Wright

FS – Conte

After digging around a bit it seems he had a $22mil deal with Carolina in 2011 and his stats are pretty good. That kind of money doesn't get tossed around for nothing so he must have been good. The back injury is a big concern and likely is why he signed a 1yr prove it deal heavy on incentives (that can take him near $1.75mil for this season).

All in all it appears Emery went out and for Urlacher's money (seems he wanted at least $3mil/yr) definitely filled two spots with equal or better talent than we had last year. Net savings equates to what we'd have paid Roach. We gained more flexibility in the draft for our first pick as well.

This is why the team gave Urlacher an ultimatum or "best and final" offer. Emery knew the market had come down for some of these available LBs and he had to act fast to get the players he wanted.

After digging around a bit it seems he had a $22mil deal with Carolina in 2011 and his stats are pretty good. That kind of money doesn't get tossed around for nothing so he must have been good. The back injury is a big concern and likely is why he signed a 1yr prove it deal heavy on incentives (that can take him near $1.75mil for this season).

All in all it appears Emery went out and for Urlacher's money (seems he wanted at least $3mil/yr) definitely filled two spots with equal or better talent than we had last year. Net savings equates to what we'd have paid Roach. We gained more flexibility in the draft for our first pick as well.

This is why the team gave Urlacher an ultimatum or "best and final" offer. Emery knew the market had come down for some of these available LBs and he had to act fast to get the players he wanted.

If Urlacher does sign with someone else, it will be for less than the Bears offered him, and probably won't happen until after training camps start. I suspect this will be the same thing with some of the other older vets.

He has a plan, and he just doesnt let the info out. Williams was on the ready line when 54 didnt take the offer. What this does is give us the ability to pick BPA with our draft.

I would appear so.

Only time will tell fi the decisions are correct, but it seems to me that Emery is exceptionally decisive, moves fast, keeps things under wraps, and does not let sentimentalism hold him back.

We may disagree with some of his moves, and be unhappy if theydon't pan out. But, it is clear that he is indeed "a man with a plan".

Precise is what I can say about the way Emery is going about business. It obviously is a well thought out plan that he is executing with stealth like efficiency.

Yes, there is more flexibility.

Yes, there is a bit of hypocrisy considering dude's injuries.

Yes, the money is better, especially since Roach was overpaid as a FA.

Here's to hoping this is a sign of Emery's philosophy towards LBs. I'm all for cheap free agents who have shown some success in the past. 99% of LBs are a dime a dozen, and I would hate to see a high draft pick on a LB in most years.

99% linebackers are a dime a dozen are you kidding me. Do the 49ers think linebackers is an unimportant position and the bears at there best had 2 top linebackers. Cap space always causes tough decisions and if all goes well we may have the best 3 we have had in years. I always wondered what it would be like to have 3 quality athletes after having triers like Hilenmeyer and Roach making up the numbers.

He has a plan, and he just doesnt let the info out. Williams was on the ready line when 54 didnt take the offer. What this does is give us the ability to pick BPA with our draft.

Good point. I figured after we announced we weren't bringing Urlacher back, we'd have his replacement signed within the next two days. We basically struck Williams, said good-bye to Urlacher, then announced the deal on Friday.

Yes, there is more flexibility.

Yes, there is a bit of hypocrisy considering dude's injuries.

Yes, the money is better, especially since Roach was overpaid as a FA.

Here's to hoping this is a sign of Emery's philosophy towards LBs. I'm all for cheap free agents who have shown some success in the past. 99% of LBs are a dime a dozen, and I would hate to see a high draft pick on a LB in most years.

99% of LBs are a dime a dozen? The board could make better choices than the regime running the Bears? Your a smart guy but you sure do come up with some stupid statements.

99% linebackers are a dime a dozen are you kidding me. Do the 49ers think linebackers is an unimportant position and the bears at there best had 2 top linebackers. Cap space always causes tough decisions and if all goes well we may have the best 3 we have had in years. I always wondered what it would be like to have 3 quality athletes after having triers like Hilenmeyer and Roach making up the numbers.

Sure, it's great to have three studs at LB (same for any position), but I honestly don't believe it's necessary. A good DL creates opportunities for a LB corp. All you essentially need at that point is speed, athleticism, and a sure tackler. It's the same as for the offense. Give me a great OL and an average RB, and the RB will perform far beyond their true worth. Reverse that and the RB, unless supremely gifted like Payton or Sanders, gets stuffed. With LBs it's similar. Remember how amazing Urlacher looked when he was behind Washington and Traylor?

99% of LBs are a dime a dozen? The board could make better choices than the regime running the Bears? Your a smart guy but you sure do come up with some stupid statements.

It's probably more a phrasing issue than anything else. A dime a dozen in NFL levels. As in, compared to other athletes in the NFL. I just really don't think they're that important in the grand scheme of things. It's the same philosophy I have on offense. A great DL and an average LB corp will yield very good results. An average DL and a great LB corp will not yield as good of results. Absolutely everything in football starts in the trenches.

But I still think the collective of this board could do just as good of a job making FA and draft choice selections as the front office has done over the last 2-3 decades. Their performance wouldn't have been difficult to match. I mean, how long did we not have a QB for goodness sakes?! And that's just one problem. I doubt with someone like LT2 on board we would have missed a checkbox.

It's probably more a phrasing issue than anything else. A dime a dozen in NFL levels. As in, compared to other athletes in the NFL. I just really don't think they're that important in the grand scheme of things. It's the same philosophy I have on offense. A great DL and an average LB corp will yield very good results. An average DL and a great LB corp will not yield as good of results. Absolutely everything in football starts in the trenches.

But I still think the collective of this board could do just as good of a job making FA and draft choice selections as the front office has done over the last 2-3 decades. Their performance wouldn't have been difficult to match. I mean, how long did we not have a QB for goodness sakes?! And that's just one problem. I doubt with someone like LT2 on board we would have missed a checkbox.

Agree that LBs, particularly this off season, are available. A top flight MLB would obviously be a boon, but you're right about DL and also with a solid DB corp we should be fine.

I damn well guarantee the box would have been checked with our collective.

I'm a controller and that does not happen on my watch.

I do also think that our collective mind here could probably equal our GMs. I don't think better or worse. But could equal over the course of time. I hope I am wrong on Emery and he outfoxes the lot of us.

I damn well guarantee the box would have been checked with our collective.

I'm a controller and that does not happen on my watch.

I do also think that our collective mind here could probably equal our GMs. I don't think better or worse. But could equal over the course of time. I hope I am wrong on Emery and he outfoxes the lot of us.

I agree with the key word collective. As a collective, we cover all the bases. As individuals, I doubt any of us could do as well as any seasoned NFL personnel. Now, I believe some have the talent required to work in the league, but time in the league would be required to gain the experience and connections before ever thinking we could fill a GM role.

Plus, we'd all do it for cheap! ;)

I agree with the key word collective. As a collective, we cover all the bases. As individuals, I doubt any of us could do as well as any seasoned NFL personnel. Now, I believe some have the talent required to work in the league, but time in the league would be required to gain the experience and connections before ever thinking we could fill a GM role.

That's why I always say it, or mean to say it, as a collective. I don't know nearly enough about salary cap stuff - nor do I care - to adequately be a GM, but with guys like LT2 and twig I think we'd have it pretty much covered. Hell, there have been multiple years in the past when the reporters who are supposed to be "close" to the Bears and "know everything" were not nearly as close to the correct figure as LT2 was.

It's just funny to me that these guys are put on pedestals, but if you look back in the board history about who we all wanted before Emery was hired, and you can see comments about this guy being a moron or that guy being a horrible selection. If they had been hired by the Bears, all the sudden they're untouchable pillars from which all correct NFL decisions are made? Gimme a break. I can't honestly see how any Bears fan doesn't think they would have done better drafting over the past few years. There isn't one draft since 2003 that we can look at and say, "Wow, that is a great draft!"