Ellis retires

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The Bears lost one former first-round pick on Thursday when defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis told the team that he’s retiring and they replaced him on the roster with another first-round selection later in the day.

The team announced that they have signed defensive end Jamaal Anderson, who the Falcons made the eighth overall pick of the 2007 draft, to a one-year deal. Anderson spent the 2012 season with the Bengals, playing just two games before tearing his quadriceps, and was released earlier this month.

Bears General Manager Phil Emery was Atlanta’s director of college scouting when Anderson was drafted, so he reached out to a familiar face to help shore up the depth after Ellis’ departure.

Anderson has been a better run defender than pass rusher over his career, which also featured a one-year stop in Indianapolis for the 2011 season. That wasn’t what the Falcons expected when they spent such a high pick on Anderson way back when, but it’s a skill that could earn him a spot in the Bears’ defensive line rotation for the upcoming season.

So much for Sedrick Ellis improving the DT depth. Today, he retired.

Good. I'm glad he made this decision now as opposed to us making the decision for him later. If he ain't that into it why would we want him?

Sometimes when there is news like this it is followed by bad news. Like the player is facing a suspension for a banned substance, he's been arrested, etc.

Good. I'm glad he made this decision now as opposed to us making the decision for him later. If he ain't that into it why would we want him?

Sometimes when there is news like this it is followed by bad news. Like the player is facing a suspension for a banned substance, he's been arrested, etc.

I agree but why the sudden change of heart after signing just a month ago? Is there a potential suspension out there that we'll never know about? I wondered about that as well. Then we went after the bride'smaid's bride's maid in signing Jamaal Anderson. Let's read the tea leaves:

This quote:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-questions.html

“We have a lot of guys competing,” Wootton said. “Aston Whiteside is a guy who stepped up this offseason, put on some size coming from defensive end to defensive tackle. And Nate Collins has been doing a great job playing both the [three-technique] and the nose.”

The fact we signed Anderson seems to me a bit of a change in direction because he isn't much of a pass rusher and will likely compete for time at only NT. Did Ellis, who said he was looking forward to competing at the 3-T position read the writing on the wall and decide that he won't win a competition againsth Collins there, and doesn't want to or can't play at NT? Based on what he did in New Orleans last year he can't play at NT. In that case would he even make the roster?

Perhaps this sudden retirement news means we found a 3rd DT ready to make plays in Collins?