RedZone blog from Bears

ParkerBear7

I will not deny it, I'm elated with the direction the Bears are going with front office, coaching and personnel; I have high expectations for this season.

http://blog.chicagobears.com/2013/07/31/of...ig-in-red-zone/

Offense comes up big in red zone Posted by Larry Mayer on July 31, 2013 – 5:45 pm

The Bears defense boasts several talented Pro Bowlers. But the unit could have used a step ladder or an NBA power forward during a red-zone drill late in Wednesday’s practice.

Taking advantage of a size differential, Jay Cutler threw touchdown passes to 6-3 receiver Alshon Jeffery, 6-4 receiver Brandon Marshall and 6-6 tight end Martellus Bennett.

“We’re very lucky,” said coach Marc Trestman. “We thank [general manager] Phil [Emery] every day when we come off the field that he was able to bring in guys with this kind of size and girth, and we’re going to do our best to try to put them in a position to have success.”

Jeffery leaped high in the back of the end zone to snare the ball over 5-11 safety Major Wright, while Marshall hauled in a jump ball over 6-2 cornerback Charles Tillman in the corner.

“It’s good to have a situation like that where you can throw some fades into the side of the end zone,” said offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer. “And when you have to cover 53 yards in the end zone, it makes it tough.”

Other big targets in the Bears passing game include tight end Fendi Onobun (6-6) and receivers Terrence Toliver (6-5), Marquess Wilson (6-4) and Marcus Rucker (6-4).

“We’re got some big dudes out there,” Cutler said. “You just kind of have to put it up high, and they understand football, which makes it nice.”

Cutler has especially enjoyed bonding with Bennett, a complete tight end who signed with the Bears as a free agent after spending his first five seasons with the Giants (2008-11) and Cowboys (2012).

“He’s a joy to play with on and off the field,” Cutler said. “He brings a little bit of energy. He brings some edge to the huddle and he’s like a Brandon Marshall [in that] he’s really smart out there, understands defenses and knows where the holes are. It makes it easy on me.”

what a difference it makes having big targets with good hands. Many of us were begging for us to start getting bigger at the WR position and now we are seeing why that was a good move. I like that the Bears are targeting big WR's rather than the short lanky one's we've tried in past years. If the offense can put it all together and get on the same page with the timing, and execution this could be a tough passing game to defend. Want to double/tripple Marshall? Fine you leave M. Bennet, Jeffery in single or roaming free, throw in Forte out of the backfield and it could be a pick your poison. Perhaps this year the Offense puts it's grown up pants on! I am concerned though with the rash of injuries specifically to the OL. That will be the key to our success or the root of our failure.

what a difference it makes having big targets with good hands. Many of us were begging for us to start getting bigger at the WR position and now we are seeing why that was a good move. I like that the Bears are targeting big WR's rather than the short lanky one's we've tried in past years. If the offense can put it all together and get on the same page with the timing, and execution this could be a tough passing game to defend. Want to double/tripple Marshall? Fine you leave M. Bennet, Jeffery in single or roaming free, throw in Forte out of the backfield and it could be a pick your poison. Perhaps this year the Offense puts it's grown up pants on! I am concerned though with the rash of injuries specifically to the OL. That will be the key to our success or the root of our failure.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. To further your point the Bears will almost certain be sending out 4 or 5 receivers on a fairly consistent bases. If they send out 5 guys and they wanna double Marshall you are looking at at least 6 guys in coverage. Teams will also probably wanna leave a safety over the top putting 7 into cover and giving the line a 4 on 5 advantage which will really make things easier on them.

Even if the line isn't that up to par the Bears should still be able to work the short game and nickle and dime the hell out of teams. When you do that teams will be forced to lay off the pass rush and that's when you have the time to work in the deep ball.

I've got a raging boner for what this offense could be.

Yes ParkerBear7 its nice to see the Bears are thinking like I am with the big dudes we have in camp and i know they will be

taking full advantage of a size differential to create mismatches, with 6-3 receiver Alshon Jeffery, 6-4 receiver Brandon Marshall and 6-6 tight end Martellus Bennett and our other big targets including tight end Fendi Onobun (6-6) and receivers Terrence Toliver (6-5), Marquess Wilson (6-4) and Marcus Rucker (6-4) depending on who make the roster. So with that being said only Weems and Bennett are the only WR 6 ft and below with a chance of making the team.Bears have just gone BIG!!......LOL

Yes ParkerBear7 its nice to see the Bears are thinking like I am with the big dudes we have in camp and i know they will be

taking full advantage of a size differential to create mismatches, with 6-3 receiver Alshon Jeffery, 6-4 receiver Brandon Marshall and 6-6 tight end Martellus Bennett and our other big targets including tight end Fendi Onobun (6-6) and receivers Terrence Toliver (6-5), Marquess Wilson (6-4) and Marcus Rucker (6-4) depending on who make the roster. So with that being said only Weems and Bennett are the only WR 6 ft and below with a chance of making the team.Bears have just gone BIG!!......LOL

Personally, I am not sure how Weems can make this team. He's more of a returner (not that special of one) and so far not that impressive at WR either. I would have Bennett return over Weems and battle Anderson for third WR spot.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. To further your point the Bears will almost certain be sending out 4 or 5 receivers on a fairly consistent bases. If they send out 5 guys and they wanna double Marshall you are looking at at least 6 guys in coverage. Teams will also probably wanna leave a safety over the top putting 7 into cover and giving the line a 4 on 5 advantage which will really make things easier on them.

Even if the line isn't that up to par the Bears should still be able to work the short game and nickle and dime the hell out of teams. When you do that teams will be forced to lay off the pass rush and that's when you have the time to work in the deep ball.

I've got a raging boner for what this offense could be.

3 WR, 1 TE (Bennett), and 1 RB Forte....... there are your 5 receivers. We will see that often.