Giants @ Bears

balta1701-A

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see a Bears win. The D let up 21 points, but they scored 10 and the game sealing INT. The offense only scored 17. Hester did nothing special. Obviously a lot of work needs to be done, but I'll take 4-2.

Cutler was on point for the most part tonight. I did not like the play calling in the redzone tonight. No excuse not to come away with 7 when you are gift wrapped the field position inside the 10. The offense got it together after that and destroyed the Giants D. Then they did next to nothing in the 2nd half. Need to start improving on finishing drives off.

The D was bad again, which wasn't a surprise. The Giants converted 7 of 11 3rd downs, and averaged about 7 yards per play. They also had well over 100 yards rushing for the game, which was more than double their season average. They just don't have NFL talent up front. There's no fix to it, and it's something the team will have to deal with all year unless they catch lightning in a bottle from some young kid.

I'm going to write this one off as a typical bad Thursday game on a short week. Both sides of the ball have a lot of work to do. Offense needs to put a complete game together, and they need to run the ball better. I don't know what else you can say about the defense. The Bears are in for a long year with that.

My comment wasn't directed at just Cutler, but the whole offense. In the first, third and 4th quarters, and the offense only scored 3 points.

This offense needs to get better each week because they are going to need to score 30+ in every game. I don't know that there is any fix for Mel Tucker's side of the ball at this point. So the offense has to find a way to carry the team. As a long time fan, having a offense getting to the point that it wins the game is a real shift in my thinking.

Listening to post game and hearing Cutler's comments, overlooked in this game for me at least, is the concept that the short week drastically reduced the game plan. Cutler said the team just tried to focus on what it does best in respect to the development of the game plan. Given that this offense is a work in progress, it says a lot that they could pull off three nice drives in the first half. Would have been nice to carry that over into the second half.

So some kudos to them to still be able pull off some nice offensive gains.

I feel like there is positives to build on on the offense and it is is a reversal of mindset to imagine the offense carrying this team.

I think at times we as fans expect everything to just click and it is a new offense, new playbook, new verbiage and some new pieces. Things will be up and down especially early on. We are only 6 games into the first year of this system. We are seeing glimpses of the potential. Patience isn't often a die hard fan's strongest trait. We're going to need to exercise some of that this season. We have a much needed bye week coming up and hopefully we enter it after a win over the Skins. The reality we may have to face is the D may not get a lot better than it is. Aside from tightening up the tackling, and trying to figure out how to get pressure, just not sure we have the players to do that anymore. A lot of the talent on the defensive side of the ball is getting long in the tooth. Briggs, Tillman, Peppers, aren't getting any younger, and we need the young guys to step up. In the coming years we're going to need to retool the D. So we may see a stretch of years where the D is not up to the standards we're used to and the offense may have to carry this team. That's not an uncommon thing in today's NFL some of these high powered offenses over the years have had to score a lot because their D is weak. Look at Denver vs Dallas. Both teams putting on an offensive show but neither D doing much to stop either offense. We've been spoiled for many years with an elite D but that D has gotten old and injuries are mounting. We've talked about the window to win a championship while this D was playing at an elite level and how that window was closing well it may well be closed now. The Bears need to play a different type of game now to win.