Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TalkBears Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pixote

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Pixote

  1. Angelo mentioned how Dusty was NEVER hurt in college. His rookie season the injury was probably minor, yet we placed him on IR because we had tons of depth at DT at the time and we needed the roster spot.

     

    Realistically he's had one major injury.

     

    Seeing him on the sidelines wearing a baseball cap seems to indicate that him sitting out is more precautionary then anything else. If we were playing tomorrow, he'd be dressed.

     

    I look for him to turn it around this season & stay healthy.

     

    I agree

     

    With the injury problems we had last year, they are going to take every precaustion possible to prevent a repeat.

  2. Conspiracy theory alert...he's still holding out.

     

    No conspiracy about it, the jerk is still holding out. When asked in an interview if he would practice without an extension he says no comment. He shows up and has a mysterious hammy problem. How much you want to bet the hammy does not get better until the extension is signed? He is still a hold out. He is just using the system, makes him look good and saves him some money.

     

    Well-timed ouchie keeps Hester in the clear from injury

     

    By Brad Biggson July 25, 2008 5:50 PM

     

    Devin Hester has arrived at Bears' training camp and he has a curiously timed, maybe even luckily timed hamstring pull.

     

    The club failed him on his physical and placed him on the non-football injury list meaning he cannot practice until he passes a physical.

     

    Hester made it clear Wednesday when his two-day boycott began that he was concerned about getting injured before he secured a longterm contract. There's no fear of that if he's not suiting up. He also doesn't have to fear a $15,000 daily fine, which he would have had he stayed away from camp.

     

     

    Asked if he would begin practicing before signing a contract extension he replied, "I have no comment on that." Coach Lovie Smith said the injury is not serious.

     

    Draw your own conclusions here but it could be he's healed just in time to put his name to a contract. How soon that will happen, who knows. There wasn't any negotiating going on late Friday afternoon with agent Eugene Parker as the club's entire front office was out watching practice. Stay tuned.

  3. This to me is a bigger concern, more important to the Bears success this year, than David Hester trying to strike it rich. I will be looking more at this and the development of the offense as a result than David "I am mad and I want my money now" Hester.

     

    Bears' season on the line

     

    St. Clair, Metcalf, Kreutz, Tait and Williams on spot after tough 2007

     

    July 25, 2008

     

    BY BRAD BIGGS @ suntimes.com

     

    BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The spotlight in Bears training camp is on the quarterback derby, but two days in, coach Lovie Smith was begging to talk about anything else.

     

    How about the offensive line, where some other position battles are being waged? The Bears will be only as good as their running game this season, and it all starts up front. If you don't think the competition for left tackle is heated, line coach Harry Hiestand has some news for you.

     

    John St. Clair looked solid on the first day in shoulder pads Thursday. Meanwhile, first-round pick Chris Williams had to leave the field with back spasms midway through the afternoon session during one-on-one pass-rush drills. The spasms aren't considered serious.

     

    ''I spent a lot of time with the trainers, which I don't really like to do, but it's getting a lot better,'' said Williams, who hopes to practice today. ''I can't tell you now. I will probably take some good medicine and sleep well, and we'll figure it out.''

     

    The Bears are looking at having a different starter from last year's opener at three positions. John Tait has been working strictly at right tackle. Terrence Metcalf has gotten the bulk of reps at left guard, while Josh Beekman and Anthony Oakley are dividing time at center with Olin Kreutz coming back from a procedure on his Achilles tendon. Then there's the competition at left tackle.

     

    ''All you have to do is watch them,'' Hiestand said. ''Anybody who just wants [Williams] out there doesn't understand football. Just watch [st. Clair]. Nobody wants to watch him; they just want Chris to automatically be in there. Let the process take place and see how he does. Watch how he does against Mark [Anderson] and [Alex Brown]. He's not doing bad. John has had a great offseason.

     

    ''This will just make us better. Whoever is playing in there is going to be pushed and will be battling and competing. There are no handouts.''

     

    The Bears will don full pads for the first time this afternoon, their first true chance to evaluate linemen since last season. All of the offseason work in shorts and without pads is for the passing game.

     

    Smith has mentioned a desire to play starters longer in preseason games to get a better evaluation. The Bears would like to have their starting unit in place for the third preseason game Aug. 21 against San Francisco. That's less than four weeks away.

     

    ''It's a process,'' Hiestand said. ''You can't think about that part of it. You just try and make all the corrections and pick out the things you need to improve on and just work. It's obviously got to happen by the season.''

     

    Metcalf was criticized for his performance last season but was playing with a broken left hand. A third-round pick in 2002, he has to step forward and seize this opportunity. He certainly knows the system as well as anyone.

     

    Tait projects to be one of the better right tackles in the NFC, if not the league. Kreutz will be healthy soon and is in some of the best shape of his career. Roberto Garza is solid at right guard, and then there's left tackle, where the team hopes Williams asserts himself.

     

    ''We'll see how it goes,'' Hiestand said. ''He's going to get tested here in camp against our ends.''

     

    The Bears thought they were in good position last year with a veteran line returning for a third season together. It crumbled quickly, and age was a factor for departed tackle Fred Miller and guard Ruben Brown. No one can tell if the puzzle has been solved until the real action begins.

     

    ''Every year is different,'' Kreutz said. ''Some years it clicks. Some years it never clicks. How long does it take? You don't know, so you're always working to get that rhythm and that continuity. As an offensive line, you really have to be playing together to be good. We have a lot of guys who have been in this system and have played together, so we know each other and it should help us.

     

    ''I don't know how you can't [be upset at how the line played last year]. This is what we do for a living. I'm a professional, and we take it more personally than anyone. We played really bad last year, and no one knows that more than us.''

  4. Has anyone considered this?

     

    We all kinda agree he has not proved he is a number 1 WR.

     

    He wants to be paid as a number 1 WR.

     

    He knows the Bears take care of their own.

     

    He knows they were in negotiations trying to get a contract completed.

     

    Yet, knowing he was going to line up with the number 1 offense in practice and have a chance to prove himself as a number one WR he decided to holdout.

     

    Now why would he do that? The only answer I can come up with is he did not want to take a chance and prove he WAS NOT a number 1 WR through his show in practice.

     

    If he was confident he was indeed a number 1 WR all he had to do was go out there and show his stuff, dazzle everyone with his skills as a number 1 WR. He then increases his value in negotiations and if the Bears do not pony up he then has leverage by holding out.

     

    Seems to me he wants to have the Bears pay but does not want to prove a thing, just pay me the money.

  5. My daughter married a Packers fan, so I have to ask

     

    I hope you didn't pay for the wedding :)

     

    Hell no.

     

    I paid big time for her first marriage (to a Colts Fan) and they got divorced after 8 years, then she married the Packer fan, told her this one I would attent but not pay for, LOL.

  6. Source: Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

     

    The Chargers Wednesday released veteran WR Eric Parker. After six seasons with the team, Parker missed the second half of 2007 with a lingering foot injury, and became expendable in large part after the team acquired WR Chris Chambers in a midseason trade last year.

     

    Think there would be any interest? I am surprised he was released. Other than Chambers who they picked up in a trade last year, their WR corps is kind of thin.

  7. I am sorry, he should not get paid as a #1 WR until he has proven he is one. We all applauded Angelo for not paying Berrian #1 WR money when he hadn't proven himself to be one and let Minny overpay him. Same goes here. Sure, break the bank and give him the biggest ST Return Man contract ever written, but not the BIG BUCKS that a #1 WR would get.

  8. We had a thread months ago speculating on the value of trading Hester.

     

    In light of him threatening to hold out for the season, and knowing we have several other players with excellent return ability, not nearly as much as Hester, but still could be effective return men, would you consider now trading Hester?

     

    Is it conceivable that we could get a #1 for him? Would a team give up that much to get the #1 return man in the NFL and the potential to be a top flight WR?

     

    If I thought he would be a season long holdout, I would say yes, trade him for a #1 or maybe a #2 & #4. I am just not convinced this holdout will last very long.

     

    Although it may hold back his development at WR, his holdout may shield him from injuries, decrease his load at WR, allow others the opportunity to show up at the position, and keep Devin fresh for his return duties.

     

    Could this be a good thing?

  9. Good stuff, impressed with Forte's speed and Bennett's catches. If Bennett continues to show up like he did in the first day of practice, he very well might contribute on the field as a rookie as a #3.

  10. Yes, shame on Hester for wanting his money he deserves. :rolleyes:

     

    I do not blame him for wanting a raise.

     

    Hell, I want a raise, and I assure you I deserve one.

     

    However, his agent was in negotiations with the Bears, they were working out a deal, there is no reason to sit out of camp and disrupt the team, he is being a self centered jerk.

     

    Does he really think this will make the Bears more responsive to his requests?

     

    You do not piss off the boss if you are looking for a raise.

     

    I am sure Smith & Angelo are not amused.

  11. The Bears were working on his extensin. He has no right to hold out in my opinion. Therefore, fine him every day he misses, stop all negotiations with his agent, and he can pout all he wants. If he wants the Bears to work with him he can get his arse back in camp. Screw him!

  12. Thanks!

     

    ...if we have kids, as even though we're both in out late 30's, we still have mentalities of 13 year olds!

     

    But I am personally leaning towards "Walter" if we do go that route! I think that should keep my balls intact...

     

     

    Congratulations!! Please tell, is your wife a Bears Fan? LOL

     

    My daughter married a Packers fan, so I have to ask! :rolleyes:

  13. LG better be St. Clair. Metcalf is a fat lard and sucks, and Beekman doesn't have the mobility for LG.

     

    How can we say he lacks mobility?

     

    The problem is we have NO idea what Beekman is. He could be a stud. He could be a dud. He has not had a chance to show us anything. Many on the forum criticize the Bears coaching staff for their player evaluations. If that be the case, his not starting in the past should be ignored as an evaluation process. Hopefully he gets on the field this preseason and proves to us what he has to offer us now and in the future.

  14. Could you give some examples with Bradley's progress??? I remember him making a few routine catches and nothing more.

     

    Why do we have to have a true #1??? It'd be nice, but as long as we have a bunch of weapons, we'll be ok. (Why does everyone forget about Olsen???)

     

    I think Olsen & Clark become big weapons in our offense this year and will be complimented with a variety of role players in our WR corps. I do not think we currently have a true #1 on our roster (and I do not think Berrian or Moose were either). We do have some guys who may develop into a number 1 in a year or two. Right now, we have some #2s, some slot receivers, some possession receivers, & some red zone targets.

  15. Either way, the two days before training camp there's usually a ton of signings and the guys who get picked in the teens rarely hold out. At the absolute worst, he might miss the first day. I'm confident it'll get done.

     

    Agreed, I fully expect, by the time I get home from work tomorrow and log into the forum, Williams will be signed and JA will start the watch for cuts made by other teams that might include players worth bringing in and taking a look at.

     

    I doubt Hester gets his new contract because he wants starting WR money and he has yet to prove his worth as a WR. Hester would be better off waiting, proving he is a valuable WR, then seek his new contract. I am sure that is basically what JA has told him. If he is reworked now, he will not be happy with the new contract, especially after a year or two if he works out to be a #1 or #2 WR starter.

  16. With the signing of Urlacher that makes 5 starters (Url, Harris, Briggs, Gould and Clark) we rewarded. Im wondering if anyone is mad now that we didnt chase Faneca or Turner and maybe not have extended one of these guys.

     

    It is amazing we were able to hold onto Harris & Briggs and rework Urlacher's contract to boot. These three are outstanding players that I am sure many other teams were hoping we would let hit the market so that they could go after them.

     

    I think all 5 of the signings you mentioned, as well as others you did not mention (such as Vasher & Tillman) were all critical to the future success of the team.

     

    JA did a great job! I am sure he will try and pull off some more signings before it is over with, including another FA or two. I certainly, to answer your question, have no regrets, none at all.

  17. Don't piss off LT!!! His cap analysis is more detailed & better then any I've seen. I'm hoping like hell he comes out with a new one. I love reading that thing.

     

    On a side note regarding the cap, how in the HELL did Washington have 8 million available to bring in Jason Taylor AND sign all their draft picks???

     

    On a side note, I am sure a lot of fans of other teams are wondering the same thing about the Bears, how the hell did they manage to lock up just about every key player on their roster that was worth keeping?

     

    We have probably inked more contracts in one off season than any team in the history of the league, with exception of a 1st year expansion team. JA, you da man :notworthy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.