Press Conference Tomorrow

CrackerDog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He really made a point to say he took this job because he was empowered. There was a change in his tone when he said it.

I don't think Ted will get in his way, I'm not sure there have ever been reports of Ted getting in a GMs way.

Even when he talked about leaning on people, his tone changed when he referred to Ernie...as in, Ernie is the real guy I'm going to lean on (the rest was just lip-service).

I do absolutely think that Jay is gone. Its just a matter of can they do it now or not. I think he is going to work very diligently on finding our next QB. You can tell how focused he is on the QB position.

He brought up a team not being able to win with turnovers early in the interview, and reliabilty when asking about drafting a QB. He helped bring in Brees, and has been around him everyday. That should be an asset in finding a QB going forward.

He brought up a team not being able to win with turnovers early in the interview, and reliabilty when asking about drafting a QB. He helped bring in Brees, and has been around him everyday. That should be an asset in finding a QB going forward.

Also, had they not got Brees, they were also trying to acquire Romo. Not sure how much Pace was involved in that or if more of that was Payton.

Even when he talked about leaning on people, his tone changed when he referred to Ernie...as in, Ernie is the real guy I'm going to lean on (the rest was just lip-service).

Here is my only concern, their have been a couple of things said about Ballard not being hired because he wanted too much change. People have stated that its Ballards camp putting a spin on it to save face for the next GM interview he does.

Now the next day Pace says he will be leaning on Ted numerous times and that Pace will be answering to Ted.

from Paces interview, I am on board with this hire, I love the fact that he comes from the Saints, he has seen adversity(bounty gate) and seen a SB won. He has seen Loomis and Sean work together.

First, thanks to all of you for the play by play!

Second, it sounds like Ted isn't stepping aside as we had hoped. With that friggen moron still near the football decisions I'm NOT satisfied. With the Blackhawks it took a complete separation of business and game functions to get to where they are today. If Ted is really still involved (and I can only hope behind the scenes things are really different) then we're no better off than we were 6 months ago.

He must have really made a good impression on Ernie, if Ernie is going to let him lean on him.

I do absolutely think that Jay is gone. Its just a matter of can they do it now or not. I think he is going to work very diligently on finding our next QB. You can tell how focused he is on the QB position.

DBDB, thanks for the incredibly detailed rundown of the presser. Man, you were motivated and I appreciate the info. ImDo, I think they keep Jay one more year. Who are they going to find that has any upside like Jay that can win now, plus the contract is going to make it darn near impossible to unload him. I think Jay still gives us the best chance to win now, it is the other pieces that we need, aka DEFENSE!

First, thanks to all of you for the play by play!

Second, it sounds like Ted isn't stepping aside as we had hoped. With that friggen moron still near the football decisions I'm NOT satisfied. With the Blackhawks it took a complete separation of business and game functions to get to where they are today. If Ted is really still involved (and I can only hope behind the scenes things are really different) then we're no better off than we were 6 months ago.

He has to report to Ted but he has the power to make all football decisions. Ted is only getting updates, not approvals. Nothing wrong with that imo.

This whole Ted Phillips saga on here is somewhat comical to me. What needs to be said for you guys to believe that Pace has all control over football decisions?

Not as comical as your butt love for Jemarcus Webb.........

Let me ask you this, when our new GM needs to lean on someone would you rather him lean on Ted Phillips or Bill Polian or Ron Wolf????

Im betting you are not going to answer Ted Phillips.....Ill say it again, I want the strongest team, front staff and management group possible for the Bears. If you think that is possible with Ted Phillips you are wrong.

This whole Ted Phillips saga on here is somewhat comical to me. What needs to be said for you guys to believe that Pace has all control over football decisions?

Agreed. Let it go. First, it is done, second, can we get any worse than last season? If the answer is yes, then we will at least have the first pick in the draft. I think the kid is going to be around for a while and do good things, and yeas, I like Koolaide, it goes down well with the 96 degrees here in Santiago today! :bringit

Not as comical as your butt love for Jemarcus Webb......... Let me ask you this, when our new GM needs to lean on someone would you rather him lean on Ted Phillips or Bill Polian or Ron Wolf???? Im betting you are not going to answer Ted Phillips.....Ill say it again, I want the strongest team, front staff and management group possible for the Bears. If you think that is possible with Ted Phillips you are wrong.

Then why even hire a GM who has full control of the football ops? Sure he said he will lean on these guys, but ultimately his decision is his. Accorsi was mentioned as well, I am sure he will keep ties with him through this process and after. Ted Phillips job is to be the reporter between owners and Ryan Pace, if they feel Pace needs more help, maybe they can hire a VP?

Good interview on the score. Made it clear that all football decisions run through him, as they should be.

That's where it's good to hear him talk in an interview and then see how he does his job going forward. I see a lot being read into what little was said in the presser. His tone change when talking about leaning on Ernie vs leaning on Ted and George. may mean something it may not. But I think assuming that by merely mentioning ted and leaning on him and then concluding same old same old. May be bias based on negative expectations. Pace has never hired a head coach, never been involved in the hiring of one, but the other guys have and that is a big decision. There is a difference in leaning on someone as in blindly trusting them to tell you what to do and leaning on them as in respect to hearing their thoughts. If I were in his shoes having never made a big decision like this and this is a huge decision, it would be foolish not to take into consideration the thoughts and opinions of those in the interviews, but the decision at the end of the day is his to make. And as long as that's the case I'm fine with it. I know we've seen a lot of failure and a lot of bad here in the running of this team. But sometimes we can get so jaded that we look for any hint of past failure and in a sense look for reasons to be dissapointed or unhappy, rather than look for the good and give this a chance to work before assuming failure. just my 2 cents.

You're looking way too much into the whole lean on Ted quote...It has been said countless times that Pace has complete control of football decisions.

If you really think Pace is gonna make football decisions based on what Ted has to say, then it should be Pace that you're worried about.

Then why even hire a GM who has full control of the football ops? Sure he said he will lean on these guys, but ultimately his decision is his. Accorsi was mentioned as well, I am sure he will keep ties with him through this process and after. Ted Phillips job is to be the reporter between owners and Ryan Pace, if they feel Pace needs more help, maybe they can hire a VP?

Nope you are right, no need for a GM, let Ted do it!

It sounds to me that he has full control of player personnel decision not sure on the rest. Im hoping he has full control over everything, Staff, Staff structure, Coaching.

What if Pace wants to add some people to his staff, does he have to get approval from Ted? Or make a change with a staff member, say a guy that has been with the Bears for a long time, does Ted get veot that?

If there is a up and coming scout that Pace wants, but has to replace a current scout to get him will he be able to?

If he has FULL control I feel the press conference would have sounded different.

You're looking way too much into the whole lean on Ted quote...It has been said countless times that Pace has complete control of football decisions.

If you really think Pace is gonna make football decisions based on what Ted has to say, then it should be Pace that you're worried about.

Im excited about Pace and you are right if he is asking Ted for advice then I will be worried about Pace.

DBDB, thanks for the incredibly detailed rundown of the presser. Man, you were motivated and I appreciate the info. ImDo, I think they keep Jay one more year. Who are they going to find that has any upside like Jay that can win now, plus the contract is going to make it darn near impossible to unload him. I think Jay still gives us the best chance to win now, it is the other pieces that we need, aka DEFENSE!

I think we will be surprised and be able to get a 2nd rounder for Jay. But I might be crazy. Part of that is I still think you can win with Jay (and I have no problem keeping him) but I do think Pace needs to be focused on finding our next QB and the QB for the future and that starts now. Jay can be around as long as he handles himself as a professional, etc. I only move Jay if you can get something of value for him, but I think we can. I think it is likely to make the rebuild a lot longer but it is the real shot we have at becoming a potential dynasty.

He has TOTAL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL DECISIONS.

And that's been stated multiple times from him and others yet some will never accept that. It sounds to me many went into this conference assuming he's been brought into be Ted's yes man, puppet, or whatever. And listened to the conference from that perspective so any hint of that becomes proof of that predetermined opinion and thus fact. Personally it's a jaded way to look at this. Bears have failed in the past, have made a mess of things, thus it will never change, thus they have screwed this up. I think it's early to assume as fact and ignore anything to the contrary. The proof will be in how he does his job, and he has yet to fail but some are acting like that's inevitable. To that I may ask why bother following this if you can't allow the possibility of this change being a positive one? Pace may be the right guy he may not but give someone a chance to succeed before assuming failure. Personally I've seen things that indicate that the Bears realize the status quo isn't going to cut it and that change, real change is needed. Perhaps they finally becoming self aware and realize change was needed. Firing Trestman after two years is a no brainer to us and most of the football world, but in the past the Bears would have drug that out, the Bears firing a HC after two seasons is virtually unheard of. Firing a GM after 3 is also a huge change. How many of us during this past season thought there might be the usual sacrificial lamb to "satisfy the the masses" while avoiding real change till it's painfully obvious it's needed. I for one am encouraged by what George has done and is doing. They recognized that change needed to happen for the good of the team and had the stones to make the change. Rather than allow the team to sink further and recognize that with Emery and Trestman in charge this team was reaching new lows and that doing nothing was not acceptable. I see things that indicate there is a change in how things are done so I'm willing to give it a chance.

I think we will be surprised and be able to get a 2nd rounder for Jay. But I might be crazy. Part of that is I still think you can win with Jay (and I have no problem keeping him) but I do think Pace needs to be focused on finding our next QB and the QB for the future and that starts now. Jay can be around as long as he handles himself as a professional, etc. I only move Jay if you can get something of value for him, but I think we can. I think it is likely to make the rebuild a lot longer but it is the real shot we have at becoming a potential dynasty.

Pace, I imagine, knows and respects Kromer pretty well. We know Kromer's opinion of Cutler.