Christian Jones Revisted

scs787

I got into a conversation with one of the tenants at the building I work at and he's a huge FSU fan(I know this because I've seen him wear a few FSU sweaters, today he was wearing a Bears hoody). He brought up Christian Jones. He said that hes capable of being a monster as an OLB in the 3-4. Talked about how physically gifted he was and said with the right coaching (which he thinks the Bears have now) we may not even need a OLB opposite of Young.

I admittedly hadn't seen enough of him, and thought of him as an ILB, but he said no, you want him on the edge making plays and utilizing his athleticism.

What do you guys think of him?

You can see in the video that he moves around a lot among LB positions, but I can certainly see what he means when talking about him on the edge, he looks dangerous.

But he also looks great in coverage in that video which could make him better utilized in the middle (though OLBs do drop into coverage).

He's certainly an interesting player who could very well find a home somewhere and flourish, but the question is where?

I got into a conversation with one of the tenants at the building I work at and he's a huge FSU fan(I know this because I've seen him wear a few FSU sweaters, today he was wearing a Bears hoody). He brought up Christian Jones. He said that hes capable of being a monster as an OLB in the 3-4. Talked about how physically gifted he was and said with the right coaching (which he thinks the Bears have now) we may not even need a OLB opposite of Young.

I admittedly hadn't seen enough of him, and thought of him as an ILB, but he said no, you want him on the edge making plays and utilizing his athleticism.

What do you guys think of him?

You can see in the video that he moves around a lot among LB positions, but I can certainly see what he means when talking about him on the edge, he looks dangerous.

But he also looks great in coverage in that video which could make him better utilized in the middle (though OLBs do drop into coverage).

He's certainly an interesting player who could very well find a home somewhere and flourish, but the question is where?

I think he is a ILB, I think with a hybrid defense we will have this year 3-4,4-3 he fits better inside. Hopefully Bostic can play inside, with Young at one spot, draft our rush LB. PLenty in the upper part of draft.

All I remember is once he decided where he needed to go he got there in a hurry and people knew he had arrived. He was clearly thinking a lot early on and reacting late, or very late. Late in the season I focused on him sometimes and his pass coverage was good, clearly would get better as his play recognition improves.

This coaching staff will know where to put him and I won't argue either way. If he goes to OLB and we draft Shane Ray for the other side I'd be very happy. I certainly wouldn't worry much about any team running a two TE set against us because either of these guys can get around the blocks or handle the pass coverage.

Bostic is pretty fast too, if only he knew where to go. ILB might help him by reducing the scope of what he needs to do but I don't think he'll be able to get off blocks well enough.

Cornelius Washington and even SMC have speed and they figure to be in the OLB mix as well which could give us a decent rotation if at least one of them progresses.

Haha my favorite topic. He is the ideal to play in the 3-4. Jones's last season at FSU, he played the hybrid role off the edge and just rush. FSU ran a 4-3, and still had Jones play the end on passing situations. With his size and speed, he can play anywhere and he's great in coverage. Thank you mary jane for letting Jones go undrafted and fall into the Bears lap. Only good decision Emery made :bringit