Time to start talking draft

jason

Guessing we'll be somewhere around 10th with a 6-10 record. Shouldn't deviate much from that. Having said that, it's time to start thinking about the draft.

Here's my first go at a mock.

, DE, Ole Miss - Great fit for the D. Has all the measurables. Crazy speed, explosion, quick-twitch. He could be a nightmare pass-rusher for the Bears.

, ILB, Arizona - The Bears need a tackling-machine in the middle. Conveniently, Scooby can run sideline to sideline as well as rush the passer, and he has a great nose for the ball. He'd be a versatile player for Fangio.

, FS, Clemson - Add him to my man-crush list. Huge, rangy, great instincts, great pedigree. His total package allows the Bears to send more at the opposing QB.

4. Tyler Johnstone, OT, Oregon - The Bears still need OL help. Put him at RT, move Long back in at RG, and let him learn from the all-pro. Probably still need a LT, but I don't like many where the Bears would have to get them.

, WR, North Carolina - This is partly because he's a pesky Wes Welker type, but mostly because he's a dynamic, fearless returner. Cut Mariani, immediately insert Switzer in as punt and kick returner, and whatever spot on the depth chart at WR Mariani was keeping warm.

6. Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky - I don't care about character concerns. Dude looks like a stud. Let him get his head straight in the NFL. Could be a monster on ST with the right motivation.

6. Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia - This guy is going to be a steal late. He's one of those guys who just knows how to play football. A leader. He'd also be a killer on ST.

- I saw this highlight and knew I liked him. That's pretty athletic for a TE.

7. Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin - Yeah, yeah, a Fullback. Why? Well, first of all, I think the Bears need one. He'd help the run game, and he's a great blocker overall. Secondly, he's got good hands - could be a good outlet. Third, he was a stud LB in HS and that translates well to ST play (notice a trend?). And, maybe, just maybe he'd be a bargaining chip for future FA considerations with his brother, JJ Watt.

Guessing we'll be somewhere around 10th with a 6-10 record. Shouldn't deviate much from that. Having said that, it's time to start thinking about the draft.

, DE, Ole Miss - Great fit for the D. Has all the measurables. Crazy speed, explosion, quick-twitch. He could be a nightmare pass-rusher for the Bears.

, ILB, Arizona - The Bears need a tackling-machine in the middle. Conveniently, Scooby can run sideline to sideline as well as rush the passer, and he has a great nose for the ball. He'd be a versatile player for Fangio.

, FS, Clemson - Add him to my man-crush list. Huge, rangy, great instincts, great pedigree. His total package allows the Bears to send more at the opposing QB.

4. Tyler Johnstone, OT, Oregon - The Bears still need OL help. Put him at RT, move Long back in at RG, and let him learn from the all-pro. Probably still need a LT, but I don't like many where the Bears would have to get them.

, WR, North Carolina - This is partly because he's a pesky Wes Welker type, but mostly because he's a dynamic, fearless returner. Cut Mariani, immediately insert Switzer in as punt and kick returner, and whatever spot on the depth chart at WR Mariani was keeping warm.

6. Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky - I don't care about character concerns. Dude looks like a stud. Let him get his head straight in the NFL. Could be a monster on ST with the right motivation.

6. Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia - This guy is going to be a steal late. He's one of those guys who just knows how to play football. A leader. He'd also be a killer on ST.

7. Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin - Yeah, yeah, a Fullback. Why? Well, first of all, I think the Bears need one. He'd help the run game, and he's a great blocker overall. Secondly, he's got good hands - could be a good outlet. Third, he was a stud LB in HS and that translates well to ST play (notice a trend?). And, maybe, just maybe he'd be a bargaining chip for future FA considerations with his brother, JJ Watt.

I'll jump in at least for the first few rounds:

1st: I don't see Nkemdiche lasting until we pick because I think we pick 13-16. Myles Jack falls to us and fills the ILB need. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/myles-jack-vs-virginia-2015/

2nd: Jonathan Bullard. He's a bigger 4-3 DE who doesn't really have the edge burst a 4-3 team wants but he can anchor against the run and can slot inside to play DE in our 3-4 alignment. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jonathan-b...-ole-miss-2015/

3rd: I looked at some of Kearse video and don't like how he plays the game. He's not physical and he's late to the play. Regardless I think we go CB here and grab an improving prospect in Cordrea Tankersley. I can't find any video highlights of him yet but it'll show up. He fits the mold of what Fangio wants in his outside CBs as evidenced by the $3mil we gave to Alan Ball. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...drea-tankersley

I like your 4th and 5th Rd picks. The WR Switzer reminds me a lot of Tayvon Austin in how he runs and that's a good thing. I wasn't able to research the later picks.

I would really love it if Robert dropped to us, we should be drafting too high and getting a talent like him would be great. He has a ton of talent, he will need to be groomed a little bit so maybe he does drop to us.

Here is my take:

1-15 Jack Conklin OLT Mich St 6-6 325

2-47 Jonathan Bullard DL FL 6-4 290

3-79 Cordrea Tankersley CB Clem 6-1 195

4-111 Tyler Matakevich LB Temple 6-2- 235

5-143 Miles Killebrew SS So Utah - 6-2 223

6-175 William Likely CB/KR Maryland 5-7 176

6-189 Travis Feeney OLB Wash 6-3 230

6-190 Montese Overton OLB E Car 6-3 220

7-208 Devon Johnson FB/RB/TE Marshall 6-1 243

Here is my take:

1-15 Jack Conklin OLT Mich St 6-6 325

2-47 Jonathan Bullard DL FL 6-4 290

3-79 Cordrea Tankersley CB Clem 6-1 195

4-111 Tyler Matakevich LB Temple 6-2- 235

5-143 Miles Killebrew SS So Utah - 6-2 223

6-175 William Likely CB/KR Maryland 5-7 176

6-189 Travis Feeney OLB Wash 6-3 230

6-190 Montese Overton OLB E Car 6-3 220

7-208 Devon Johnson FB/RB/TE Marshall 6-1 243

I like Conklin a lot. He was a stud in the Big Ten championship game. Here he goes against Deforest Buckner and does well.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jack-conklin-vs-oregon-2015/

I don't think he's quick enough to play OT, at least not on the left side, possibly he is at RT but if we picked him up I'd park him at RG and keep Long at RT. That would be one very strong right side to run behind. His background playing OT might be enough for him to be our backup there. Langford would be happy to see him added to the front line.

I like Conklin a lot. He was a stud in the Big Ten championship game. Here he goes against Deforest Buckner and does well.

http:/own.com/video/jack-conklin-vs-oregon-2015/

I don't think he's quick enough to play OT, at least not on the left side, possibly he is at RT but if we picked him up I'd park him at RG and keep Long at RT. That would be one very strong right side to run behind. His background playing OT might be enough for him to be our backup there. Langford would be happy to see him added to the front line.

RG is a place of need. I would have no issue in starting him there to get him accumulated to the speed of the NFL. If he progresses like Long, move him outside. His foot speed may be something that can be improved. I like his heart though, to walk on and earn his scholarship shows dedication.