who to resign

GrizzlyBear

Only guys I really care about keeping are Alshon, Porter, Miller, and Thompson. Wouldn't mind having Jenkins back, but not sure he's a starter. Same for Unrien.

Acho isn't bad, but I really like the Young/Houston platoon. Wouldn't mind having him as a backup though. Personally I wanna see Jones get a crack at backup OLB.

I would bring back the following UFA's:

1. Jeffery (either a team friendly/injury prevention deal or tag)

2. Porter (has been solid and I like the veteran presence)

3. Miller (still has a few strong years left if he can stay healthy, more upside than Bennett, less of a headache, and cheaper)

4. Acho (solid role player, still should be fairly cheap to retain, knows the system)

5. Jenkins (same as Acho, one less hole to fill)

6. Montgomery (give Grasu some additional time to grow, was solid prior to injury)

7. Mundy (was actually really solid prior to injury, would be nice to see him and Amos together)

8. Unrein (played well enough to consider, depth signing)

9. Thompson (he has shown me enough to bring him on as a 4th/5th WR and full time returner)

On the fence:

1. Forte (On one hand, he has been such an integral part of this team for so long, is a pro's pro, and would likely contribute; on the flip-side, he is on the wrong side of 30, and history shows the drop-off is severe for RB's. He has had a bunch of touches in his career, missed some games due to injury (this year), and has clearly lost a step. I would say the only way I would consider would be if he was willing to take significantly less money (which to him would probably be an insult, which is why the Bears have probably not offered him a contract yet). Langford just looks ready to break off an 80 yard run every time he touches the ball (and always falls forward it seems). Carey has actually looked decent lately too. I think this last game will ultimately decide it. If Langford out-touches Forte again, then he is gone (just my opinion).

2. Mariani (was probably a better WR than returner, so if he is willing to take something like 700-800k, he would provide some depth insurance due to question marks)

3. McManis (I am mixed, I think we need an upgrade but he knows the system and should improve, and will come cheap)

Hell to the no:

1. SMC (goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, multiple positions and he failed at all of them, lacks instincts)

2. Ball (for how much we paid, he was a disappointment, money will be used better elsewhere)

3. Ducasse (still can't believe we signed, played, and even started this automatic false start machine)

I would bring back the following UFA's:

1. Jeffery (either a team friendly/injury prevention deal or tag)

2. Porter (has been solid and I like the veteran presence)

3. Miller (still has a few strong years left if he can stay healthy, more upside than Bennett, less of a headache, and cheaper)

4. Acho (solid role player, still should be fairly cheap to retain, knows the system)

5. Jenkins (same as Acho, one less hole to fill)

6. Montgomery (give Grasu some additional time to grow, was solid prior to injury)

7. Mundy (was actually really solid prior to injury, would be nice to see him and Amos together)

8. Unrein (played well enough to consider, depth signing)

9. Thompson (he has shown me enough to bring him on as a 4th/5th WR and full time returner)

On the fence:

1. Forte (On one hand, he has been such an integral part of this team for so long, is a pro's pro, and would likely contribute; on the flip-side, he is on the wrong side of 30, and history shows the drop-off is severe for RB's. He has had a bunch of touches in his career, missed some games due to injury (this year), and has clearly lost a step. I would say the only way I would consider would be if he was willing to take significantly less money (which to him would probably be an insult, which is why the Bears have probably not offered him a contract yet). Langford just looks ready to break off an 80 yard run every time he touches the ball (and always falls forward it seems). Carey has actually looked decent lately too. I think this last game will ultimately decide it. If Langford out-touches Forte again, then he is gone (just my opinion).

2. Mariani (was probably a better WR than returner, so if he is willing to take something like 700-800k, he would provide some depth insurance due to question marks)

3. McManis (I am mixed, I think we need an upgrade but he knows the system and should improve, and will come cheap)

Hell to the no:

1. SMC (goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, multiple positions and he failed at all of them, lacks instincts)

2. Ball (for how much we paid, he was a disappointment, money will be used better elsewhere)

3. Ducasse (still can't believe we signed, played, and even started this automatic false start machine)

Good lay out. We will be bringing in 6-9 draft picks also, so some decisions will need to be made. I would like to see drafted, two offensive linemen and one defensive lineman. One ILB, S, and CB. Kick returner, I am good with Thompson. Even though I seen more aggression with Shea out, I think Vic likes the kid and he comes back.

Good lay out. We will be bringing in 6-9 draft picks also, so some decisions will need to be made. I would like to see drafted, two offensive linemen and one defensive lineman. One ILB, S, and CB. Kick returner, I am good with Thompson. Even though I seen more aggression with Shea out, I think Vic likes the kid and he comes back.

Yeah, I see 2x OL, 1x DL, 1x ILB, and 2x DB.

In the order of highest salary: http://overthecap.com/free-agency/chicago-bears/

Forte: All depends on what he wants but I wouldn't go over $3mil/yr and I wouldn't commit to a big bonus either. I like having him around for his leadership with the younger guys but he's just part of the platoon next season.

Ball: goodbye

SMC: I would bring him back simply because we have nothing here and having a guy around who knows the defense and can call the plays is helpful. I would bring in a FA and use a 1st or 2nd Rd pick on ILB. In other words SMC would be at best #2 and more likely #3/4 on the roster and contract I'd offer to him would reflect that. OTOH if he goes he goes.

Mundy: I say let him go. I don't see a scenario where he is part of the 2-3year plan and I like the athleticism of Jones-Quartey better. I think JQ can develop into a good backup safety for us.

Jeffrey: Can't let go of a Pro Bowl WR when we have so much unknown behind him. A deal will get done that is fair to both sides.

Montgomery: I like him and he played better for us than I expected but if Grasu is the future then I don't see any scenario we would want Montgomery back. Any backup center (likely Slauson anyway at this point) will have to also be a backup OG and that isn't part of Montgomery's makeup. Besides that I'd like to see us get stronger at the LOS.

Porter: For the right price I'm ok with bringing him back for a 2-3 year deal, but not at guaranteed starter money. At times he plays very well, others he is so far off in coverage he's useless. Not sure which guy will show up on which play, or in which game. If he's back he's part of the competition for a starting job.

Jenkins: He was good in the first 4 games then as the season wore on he tailed off. He's decent depth on the roster and that's all we should pay him. If he leaves I think he's replaceable as Pace showed when he found productive players mid-season.

Ducasse: goodbye

McManis: Time to move on. He regressed in coverage skills when asked to do more man and hasn't stood out as much on special teams.

Jacquizz Rodgers: He did enough early on to earn the backup role. I see no reason to not give him another 1 year deal and let him compete.

Sherrod Martin: Can't remember him doing anything at the safety position so time to move on.

Unrein: Sign him to a 2-3 year deal with a some guaranteed money. He's a hard working player and is the type of player you want to fill out the bottom end of the roster.

Prosinski: Sign him. He's not starter material at safety but he's at least serviceable there. More importantly once he got on the special teams our coverage improved significantly. We need him back covering kicks again and knowing that your special teams ace can at least fill in spot duty if needed at S is a plus.

Acho: Goodbye. Haven't seen enough good things might as well find someone younger and faster to fill this spot.

Housler: I'd bring him back on another 1 year deal and let him compete for a roster spot. Nothing to lose IMO.

Miller: Definitely bring him back

Deonte Thompson: Bring him back to compete for a job as returner. The fact he can only return kickoffs means he needs some competition as the returner. If he has a full offseason to learn the offense I like the idea of having his speed and quickness out there moreso than Mariani.

Mariani: Goodbye

Bellamy: Bring him back. Nothing to lose

LaRoy Reynolds: He might be back on 1 year deal but I haven't been impressed at all so I prefer to see someone else take this roster spot.

Nick Becton: If you haven't yet been able to get involved in the turnstile at RG by now you probably will never earn that chance.

Omameh: I expected more consistent play from him and too often he had poor technique. He's not expensive ($500k) so if he's back on a 1yr deal to compete for a job that's ok I just hope someone else wins the job.

AZ, I am surprised about Acho, I thought he did a decent job as a role player. Nothing special, but with all the holes to fill, I didn't see him as a spot that was in dire need of an upgrade. We need some continuity to improve.

I don't see Acho providing much in terms of pass rush and he's not that good in coverage. He can defend the run ok but somewhere among our next group of OLB we need someone who has speed around the edge. I know McPhee isn't going anywhere, Young has played well enough of late to earn his keep. Houston might be a bit on the outside given his somewhat high contract but he's been at or near the top of tackles/gm in the last 4-6 weeks and has had some decent pass rushes at times. I think those 3 players stay.

I don't see Acho providing much in terms of pass rush and he's not that good in coverage. He can defend the run ok but somewhere among our next group of OLB we need someone who has speed around the edge. I know McPhee isn't going anywhere, Young has played well enough of late to earn his keep. Houston might be a bit on the outside given his somewhat high contract but he's been at or near the top of tackles/gm in the last 4-6 weeks and has had some decent pass rushes at times. I think those 3 players stay.

Yeah, I agree. Acho was a guy that looked great in the preseason, and did well at times, but he's nearly non-existent rushing the QB. That's something you absolutely can't have at OLB in the 3-4. McPhee is a given. Young and Houston have done enough, and the trio leads the team in sacks.