Mariani

DABEARSDABOMB

Yes...he has sucked as a returner, but damn has he been good in the slot. I want him back next year. Showed good hands, a knack for being in the right spot, and even did a nice job gaining additional yards after the catch. He reminded me a bit of Bobby Engram late in the year (who is the best slot receiver I can ever remember the Bears having in my span). I presume Royal will be cut (or restructure) and given what Marc showed, I'm okay giving him some additional responsibility.

Yes...he has sucked as a returner, but damn has he been good in the slot. I want him back next year. Showed good hands, a knack for being in the right spot, and even did a nice job gaining additional yards after the catch. He reminded me a bit of Bobby Engram late in the year (who is the best slot receiver I can ever remember the Bears having in my span). I presume Royal will be cut (or restructure) and given what Marc showed, I'm okay giving him some additional responsibility.

As long as they promise not to ever let him return a punt or a kick again. Although he did have one nice return yesterday. I agree, he's a nice little possession receiver, it seems.

I think he's fine as the 5th receiver on your roster, but if he is your starting slot receiver, you aren't a very good team. Assuming the Bears keep Jeffery, they are looking at Jeffrey, White, and Royal as likely having guaranteed roster spots next year (like it or not, Royal's staying). I would like to see them bring in one speed receiver/return man from the draft. Marquess Wilson and Cameron Meredith are still under contract, I think. But if Mariani wants to come back on a minimum salary, it's fine with me.

I think he's fine as the 5th receiver on your roster, but if he is your starting slot receiver, you aren't a very good team. Assuming the Bears keep Jeffery, they are looking at Jeffrey, White, and Royal as likely having guaranteed roster spots next year (like it or not, Royal's staying). I would like to see them bring in one speed receiver/return man from the draft. Marquess Wilson and Cameron Meredith are still under contract, I think. But if Mariani wants to come back on a minimum salary, it's fine with me.

I should point out, I was thinking more of Mariani as the #4 wideout. I think of him as a guy who should play week in and week out, albeit more in 4 wide out sets. Upside is minimal but value is real vs. say a Meredith or Wilson who may have more potential but not the consistent player you want on a 4 receiver set.

I should point out, I was thinking more of Mariani as the #4 wideout. I think of him as a guy who should play week in and week out, albeit more in 4 wide out sets. Upside is minimal but value is real vs. say a Meredith or Wilson who may have more potential but not the consistent player you want on a 4 receiver set.

Let's be real, the guy isn't even Tom Waddle. get rid of him and bring in a true WR. Gosh, you gys talk about not having a real QB, hell, we did not have a JV WR this season. Let's get some pro caliber guys and then we can compete,

Mariani has been ok in the slot but he's not what I want to see from our starter. I much prefer Eddie Royal, who is far quicker and a little faster, there.

I think Royal, who is what, 5M cap hit next year, should restructure. That said, I like the idea of having Royal back along with Mar + Wilson + White + Alshon + Thompson and others who can battle out. As a result of all the injuries this year, I think we'll have a much deeper core next year. That said, I think none of the secondary guys proved they were anything but role players / depth guys (or in Thompson's case a guy with special teams potential).

He makes me nauseous as a return man, but I'm not so sure your first sentence is true. He is one of those guys who doesn't look like much, but he seems to understand routes and how to get open. And his hands when catching passes are sure from what we've seen. A lot of times those type of players are not impressive, but they just continually find the soft spot in the zone or come back to an escaping QB. Eight catches in the last game are still eight catches. He was pressed into starting, and he played against starters from the other team. Who is to say he can't do that for the majority of a season as a 4th WR?