Two DEs or Two ILBs

jason

I've seen some drafts that start the Bears off with two DEs.

I've seen some drafts that start the Bears off with an ILB and then another later.

Which do you prefer?

Suppose the Bears could get one of the following:

OPTION 1

1. A'Shawn Robinson, DE, Alabama / DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

2. Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor / Shilique Calhoun, DE, MSU / Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida

OPTION 2

1. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama / Jaylon Smith, ILB, Notre Dame / Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA

2. Scooby Wright, ILB, Arizona

Any other combos like those you prefer? Would you hate either?

The way I see it is, the team's two starting DEs are serviceable at least. The two ILBs are not. But seeing a DE combo back-to-back would be a declaration of commitment to the pass rush game.

I've seen some drafts that start the Bears off with two DEs.

I've seen some drafts that start the Bears off with an ILB and then another later.

Which do you prefer?

Suppose the Bears could get one of the following:

OPTION 1

1. A'Shawn Robinson, DE, Alabama / DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

2. Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor / Shilique Calhoun, DE, MSU / Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida

OPTION 2

1. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama / Jaylon Smith, ILB, Notre Dame / Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA

2. Scooby Wright, ILB, Arizona

Any other combos like those you prefer? Would you hate either?

The way I see it is, the team's two starting DEs are serviceable at least. The two ILBs are not. But seeing a DE combo back-to-back would be a declaration of commitment to the pass rush game.

Chances are Buckner or Jack will not be there. Have to plan without those two imo. Do you bet on Smith or Nkimdiche with big risks? Or go safe with Ragland or an OT? They may shock Bear fans with a CB like Hargreaves or Alexander. If Buckner or Jack fall it is a no brianer, I would go DT first and look for Wright rd 2 or 3.

I think Trevethon has to be top priority in FA, and I think he'll come here. So I'll go DL.

do agree that Buckner is probably gone, but in ideal world I would LOVE Buckner/Butler in the first 2 rounds.

There are three combinations I'd be happy with...

1st preference: If Buckner and Butler fall to us in the the first two rounds that would be awesome. I know our current DEs are serviceable but these two paired up with Goldman would put our Dline among the best in the NFL in 2017. I expect they'll need a year to settle in and learn some things much like Goldman went through. When they do get it figured out, who do you double team and how do you run up the middle? (Buckner/Butler)

2nd preference: It's possible that Myles Jack falls to us in the 1st due to injury concerns plus the QBs like Wentz rising. Jaylon Smith could be there in the 2nd Rd because of the knee injury. I'd take that combo at ILB. (Jack/Smith)

3rd preference: The more people watch Ragland, the more he drops. CBS had him at #32 today so some of his lackadaisical plays and/or limitations in pass coverage are catching up to him despite his head coach's insistence that he's a 1st Rd pick. Having said that, if we ended up with a combination of Jack/Ragland we'd be a heck of a lot better on defense and I'd be ok with that combo since Jack can handle the majority of the coverage responsibilities, to the point he could cover a slot receiver. (Jack/Ragland)

--------

I'm not that enamored with Scooby Wright even in the 2nd Rd. I've watched a few UofA games over the years, he never jumped out at me. He's a good college player but I don't recall the wow plays that made me think he'll be a stud at the next level. Doesn't mean there haven't been some, I just don't remember them. I haven't seen it in the videos I've watched recently either.

I think Trevethon has to be top priority in FA, and I think he'll come here. So I'll go DL.

do agree that Buckner is probably gone, but in ideal world I would LOVE Buckner/Butler in the first 2 rounds.

Are you talking about Vernon Butler out of LaTech? If so, no thanks in the 2nd round. In general I'm not a fan of spending high picks on guys from lower/weaker conferences unless those guys absolutely dominate. And Butler didn't dominate. He was really good, but he didn't dominate. One really good weekend at the senior bowl doesn't change much in my mind. I really hope the Bears don't become the franchise who puts in work during the year evaluating a player only to be swayed significantly by the senior bowl or the combine.

I've seen Jarran Reed drop to the high second in some mocks.

Buckner / Reed work for you? :cheers

Looks like we'll have to put Jaylon Smith back in the conversation for our pick at #11...

http://nflmocks.com/2016/01/29/latest-jayl...p-of-nfl-draft/

We'll know if Jaylon Smith is the pick at 11 because there will be two cameras in the Bears war room, one for the reaction, and one under the table to see their huge balls. I just don't see how the Bears could risk a #11 pick on an injured ILB who will miss half the season when the previous year's #1 didn't even get on the field in his rookie year.

Looks like we'll have to put Jaylon Smith back in the conversation for our pick at #11... http://nflmocks.com/2016/01/29/latest-jayl...p-of-nfl-draft/

This is a hard decision a young GM will have to make if he is there. He is the type of player you want to build your defense around, but you also don't want damaged goods.

Are you talking about Vernon Butler out of LaTech? If so, no thanks in the 2nd round. In general I'm not a fan of spending high picks on guys from lower/weaker conferences unless those guys absolutely dominate. And Butler didn't dominate. He was really good, but he didn't dominate. One really good weekend at the senior bowl doesn't change much in my mind. I really hope the Bears don't become the franchise who puts in work during the year evaluating a player only to be swayed significantly by the senior bowl or the combine.

I've seen Jarran Reed drop to the high second in some mocks.

Buckner / Reed work for you? :cheers

I absolutely am talking about Vernon Butler.

Here's the thing, Butler is a guy who faced constant double teams because of his talent level. When he comes to the senior bowl and dominates when not being double teams, that should tell you a lot. There's a good chance he's not facing double teams at the next level......His technique was flawless at the senior bowl.

Even before the senior bowl I read where a scout had a first round grade on him. He's absolutely worth a 2R pick.

Buckner and Reed works for me as well, but I'm a bigger fan of Butler right now.

We'll know if Jaylon Smith is the pick at 11 because there will be two cameras in the Bears war room, one for the reaction, and one under the table to see their huge balls. I just don't see how the Bears could risk a #11 pick on an injured ILB who will miss half the season when the previous year's #1 didn't even get on the field in his rookie year.

That's why I put the link, rumor is the knee was not damaged as badly as initially thought and he'll be ready to play in Week 1. If he does there is no way he'll be 100% but he'd likely be there around Nov. Smith at 80-90% is probably still better than the players we had at 100%.