30 for 30

Mongo3451

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I was hoping. I thought Mongo stole the show. I had never heard the story about Butthead telling his wife they had to reschedule the wedding. That was funny.

Overall, however, I didn't like the sentimental, if not sad nature of the entire thing. I thought they spent a lot of time on CTE, an ailing Buddy Ryan, McMahon's injuries, and glossed over far too much. Adding in information about the multiple years in the future also sucked because that was time that could have been spent enjoying the 85 season and its dominance. If they were going to spend that much time on the future, especially of McMahon, then they should have showed how he wore the Bears jersey to the White House as a member of the packers.

I wish more people had been involved. I would love to have heard if Wilbur Marshall thought the FA move was good. Or whether he did it purely because of Buddy Ryan's departure. I wish they would have talked to Willie Gault about things; he always seemed sort of an odd fit in that group. And Matt Suhey got far too little screen time. He should have dominated the screen during the portion about Sweetness.

One of the things that I was really disappointed with was how quickly they glossed over the supernatural nature of the Bears' playoff run. The wind blowing the Giants punt away made it feel like it was supposed to be. Barely mentioned. Then when the snow started in the Rams game, people were cheering for the snow. We all knew it was destiny for the Bears to make it to the Super Bowl. That was also somewhat ignored. Just mentioned that it was snowing.

The thing I hated the most was the Dolphin game. I don't even think they mentioned that McMahon played a fraction of the game. And that, aside from that fluke-ass ricochet to Clayton for the TD, the Bears figured out the Dolphins in the second half and shut them down. With a healthy McMahon, the Bears win that game.

Overall, I liked it, but I felt it missed a lot and told the story without details and in the wrong way at times.

I agree. I wasn't quite as happy watching it as I wanted to be. Enjoyed the story of Mongo getting too aggressive with Colvert, and Colvert bodyslamming him, then, when Mongo took off his helmet, Colvert knocked him out. Would have liked more happy/highlights of Payton during the 1985 season - pretty much every actual highlight was the defense, McMahon, or Fridge. For my tastes, I also thought the clips they showed from the game were, oddly, too close. It was all on the end result, whereas if you want to understand what made the defense so good, I wanted some shots of the game footage you would have seen on TV so you could get a sense of the penetration and speed of the defense.

But the stories, by and large, were great and it was good to see the guys again.

Finally, F Charles Martin forever.