My plan for the draft

jason

I know we don't all agree, but nearly every expert says this draft sucks for QBs. I'm sure as the time comes nearer, there will be some QBs moving up because of the need, but I don't think it suits our team well to go in that direction. Here's the plan:

1. Big board: Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen. If they go 1-2, I'll be sick.

2. Deshaun Watson. If he doesn't fall, go with King, CB, Iowa or whichever BPA CB is available.

3. If Watson was there in round 2, go for BPA Safety. If he was not there, Chad Kelly is the pick.

4. Assuming QB has been acquired, go OT & TE in whichever order. TE is deep in this draft, and one of the talented guys will drop.

5. BPA at position of need

7. BPA at position of need

I truly believe the Bears, barring injury, would have a dominating D with a front-3 of Hicks, Goldman, Garrett/Allen. And I think Watson is the best QB in the draft. IMO, Chad Kelly will be one of the mid-round guys who do well in the NFL. He already torched a team filled with NFL talent when he put up huge stats against Alabama this year. The that DE/QB combo secured, the Bears are on the way to success.

I know we don't all agree, but nearly every expert says this draft sucks for QBs. I'm sure as the time comes nearer, there will be some QBs moving up because of the need, but I don't think it suits our team well to go in that direction. Here's the plan:

1. Big board: Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen. If they go 1-2, I'll be sick.

2. Deshaun Watson. If he doesn't fall, go with King, CB, Iowa or whichever BPA CB is available.

3. If Watson was there in round 2, go for BPA Safety. If he was not there, Chad Kelly is the pick.

4. Assuming QB has been acquired, go OT & TE in whichever order. TE is deep in this draft, and one of the talented guys will drop.

5. BPA at position of need

7. BPA at position of need

I truly believe the Bears, barring injury, would have a dominating D with a front-3 of Hicks, Goldman, Garrett/Allen. And I think Watson is the best QB in the draft. IMO, Chad Kelly will be one of the mid-round guys who do well in the NFL. He already torched a team filled with NFL talent when he put up huge stats against Alabama this year. The that DE/QB combo secured, the Bears are on the way to success.

I would love one of them two in the first

I dont think watson will be there in the second

Kelly in the third would be more realistic

I would love to get a OT high, but doubt if Roberson or the Wisconsin LT would be there in the second.

Have to get a FS with play making ability. Its a must.

Garrett will be gone. Allen is 50/50, but I can't help thinking that one of playmaking safeties (Adams or Hooker) would make a bigger impact on this team than Allen, just from a "how much of an upgrade is it" standpoint. Different story maybe if we get Eric Barry or something, but, as Stinger says, a playmaking safety is a must in this offseason, and what a difference it would make to replace Amos and Jones-Quartay with Barry and Hooker. There are DEs like Allen in every draft (plus I'd kind of still like to see what Bullard can do). Safeties like Adams and Hooker don't come around that often - I would argue that Eric Barry was the last safety comparable to those two in the draft and all the first round safeties taken since would be slotted behind Adams and Hooker coming out.

Garrett will be gone. Allen is 50/50, but I can't help thinking that one of playmaking safeties (Adams or Hooker) would make a bigger impact on this team than Allen, just from a "how much of an upgrade is it" standpoint. Different story maybe if we get Eric Barry or something, but, as Stinger says, a playmaking safety is a must in this offseason, and what a difference it would make to replace Amos and Jones-Quartay with Barry and Hooker. There are DEs like Allen in every draft (plus I'd kind of still like to see what Bullard can do). Safeties like Adams and Hooker don't come around that often - I would argue that Eric Barry was the last safety comparable to those two in the draft and all the first round safeties taken since would be slotted behind Adams and Hooker coming out.

He'd be a huge upgrade over Unrein, which would improve the DL, which would improve the pass rush, which would minimize the secondary's coverage time.

The Bears are still very high on Bullard (6'-3" 285) who is basically the same size as Jonathan Allen (6'-3" 290). I heard Akeem Hicks evaluating Bullard and said he is coming along, it takes time to transition from a different type of D. I think eventually he will be the guy they thought they stole in the 3rd RD. I wouldn't be disappointed with Allen, it is more of a luxury when you have bigger needs to fill like QB and DB's.

The Bears are still very high on Bullard (6'-3" 285) who is basically the same size as Jonathan Allen (6'-3" 290). I heard Akeem Hicks evaluating Bullard and said he is coming along, it takes time to transition from a different type of D. I think eventually he will be the guy they thought they stole in the 3rd RD. I wouldn't be disappointed with Allen, it is more of a luxury when you have bigger needs to fill like QB and DB's.

I think if Allen is there , he will be hard to pass up. He is prime time player. Even if Bullard turns out to be good, his high side is not close to Allen.

1st rd for me is still garrett or Allen. We need big time playmakers. Both of whom can make a difference from day 1. I still think all 3 of the QB's are gone in the top 15 picks easily. No way any of them get into the 2nd rd. If they get past 15 I'd start making phone calls about trading back up into the back half of the 1st.

1st rd for me is still garrett or Allen. We need big time playmakers. Both of whom can make a difference from day 1. I still think all 3 of the QB's are gone in the top 15 picks easily. No way any of them get into the 2nd rd. If they get past 15 I'd start making phone calls about trading back up into the back half of the 1st.

I agree with you, over drafting a QB is common but not always smart. Because we draft a guy at 3, it does not make him more valuable but just a bigger risk.