Early Roster Projection

dawhizz

It's early, but with the recent additions, I wanted to get opinions on where you think our roster shakes out. Some positions seem pretty clear, others not so much. I have to say in looking at the initial 53-man roster last year, I couldn't believe some of the names. Greg Scruggs? Amini Silotolu? Were they really on the team?

QB: Glennon, Sanchez, Trubisky

Trubisky probably doesn't dress for the first few games at least. Bears will probably try to keep Shaw on the practice squad.

RB: Howard, Langford, Cohen

I like Cunningham, but he and Cohen are pretty duplicative, especially if Cohen can return kicks. I do think there's an outside chance the Bears keep Carey over Langford, but I'd be a surprise.

FB: Lasike/Stevenson

I assume the Bears will carry one.

WR: White, Meredith, Wheaton, Wright, Randle/Bellamy/Braverman

Unless an addition is made, I'm thinking two of Randle, Bellamy, Braverman make it. Randle is the best potential outside receiver, but is a big question mark at this point in his career. Bellamy is the most versatile and is the best special teams player.

TE: Miller, Sims, Shaheen

There's a chance they cut Miller and ride with Sims/Shaheen as the starters and keep someone like Daniel Brown or Ben Braunecker.

OT: Leno, Massie, Compton/Sowell

Compton and Sowell might both make it as swing tackles, but more likely just one.

OG: Long, Sitton, Kush, Morgan

Again, maybe they only keep one backup guard between Kush and Morgan. Morgan would be a hard cut as a rookie 5th round pick and Kush could stick as the backup C if Grasu is cut or traded.

C: Whitehair, Grasu

Could be Grasu or Kush as the backup here.

DE: Hicks, Howard, Ballard

Unrein seems like the odd man out here. Roy Robertson-Harris could stick if he impresses and they are worried about losing him on the practice squad.

DT: Goldman, Jenkins

Not real impressed with the depth behind Goldman. An upgrade would be nice.

ILB: Freeman, Trevathan, Kwiakoski, Timu/Jones

We'll have to see when Trevathan is ready.

OLB: Floyd, Houston, Young, McPhee, Acho

Maybe only one of Houston/Young stay on this team. Acho is a valuable special teams player and would be a tough cut.

CB: Amukamura, Cooper, Callahan, LeBlanc, Fuller, Hall/Webb

The first four are probably locks at this point. I would really love to see Fuller healthy and stepping up as the starting nickel. I know they've talked about Hall at safety, but he's also the best suited to line up as an outside CB, so I'd rather see him there (plus I don't see room for him at safety).

S: Demps, Amos, Jackson, Bush, Jones-Quartay/Houston-Carson

Demps is the lock starter, then Jackson, Bush, and Amos fight for the other starting spot. Amos or Bush could be a surprise cut here. Jones-Quartay may go from starter to cut, particularly if Houston-Carson's special teams ability is valued. If Jackson doesn't win the other starting spot, he's probably the punt returner.

K: Barth/Phillips

I'll be rooting for Phillips to win the job, but don't expect it to happen

P: O'Donnell

Sure.

LS: Scales

Whatever.

Thoughts?

It's early, but with the recent additions, I wanted to get opinions on where you think our roster shakes out. Some positions seem pretty clear, others not so much. I have to say in looking at the initial 53-man roster last year, I couldn't believe some of the names. Greg Scruggs? Amini Silotolu? Were they really on the team?

Trubisky probably doesn't dress for the first few games at least. Bears will probably try to keep Shaw on the practice squad.

I like Cunningham, but he and Cohen are pretty duplicative, especially if Cohen can return kicks. I do think there's an outside chance the Bears keep Carey over Langford, but I'd be a surprise.

Unless an addition is made, I'm thinking two of Randle, Bellamy, Braverman make it. Randle is the best potential outside receiver, but is a big question mark at this point in his career. Bellamy is the most versatile and is the best special teams player.

There's a chance they cut Miller and ride with Sims/Shaheen as the starters and keep someone like Daniel Brown or Ben Braunecker.

Compton and Sowell might both make it as swing tackles, but more likely just one.

Again, maybe they only keep one backup guard between Kush and Morgan. Morgan would be a hard cut as a rookie 5th round pick and Kush could stick as the backup C if Grasu is cut or traded.

Unrein seems like the odd man out here. Roy Robertson-Harris could stick if he impresses and they are worried about losing him on the practice squad.

Maybe only one of Houston/Young stay on this team. Acho is a valuable special teams player and would be a tough cut.

The first four are probably locks at this point. I would really love to see Fuller healthy and stepping up as the starting nickel. I know they've talked about Hall at safety, but he's also the best suited to line up as an outside CB, so I'd rather see him there (plus I don't see room for him at safety).

Demps is the lock starter, then Jackson, Bush, and Amos fight for the other starting spot. Amos or Bush could be a surprise cut here. Jones-Quartay may go from starter to cut, particularly if Houston-Carson's special teams ability is valued. If Jackson doesn't win the other starting spot, he's probably the punt returner.

Sure.

Whatever.

Thoughts?

Jenkins is an upgrade over Sutton in the middle.

I think they probably just keep Compton as he has played both positions.

I think Robenson-Harris is a OLB at this moment in.

With the number of RBs,WRs and TEs on the roster, we may not be keeping a FB

Sure.

Whatever.

Thoughts?

Nice work. They need to expand the roster bc there are a couple names I would hate to lose. Looking at that, there may be a couple names starting out on IR, Trevathan, Long, Shaw, and Royal so we may get time to evaluate others for a short time.

Jenkins is an upgrade over Sutton in the middle.

I think they probably just keep Compton as he has played both positions.

I think Robenson-Harris is a OLB at this moment in.

With the number of RBs,WRs and TEs on the roster, we may not be keeping a FB

I believe it was already announced RRH will be moving to DE this year. He might find some spot duty in the 3-man front and also play some DE in a 4-man front. It'll be interesting to see how they use him during the preseason.