why the bears will make the playoffs

Stinger226

There is a lot of gloom and doom suggested for this team this year.

Here is why that changes this year.

#1 They will be healthier this year. Last year the were the worst team in the league for injuries. They lost their starting QB early and as much as we put down Cutler, it would have had much better results with him at QB.

#2 We have one of the best RBs in the league. If he had started from day one, he would have led the league in rushing. Do not sleep on 5.2 YPC. thats awesome.

He has worked extremely hard this off season to get stronger and faster. The one thing that separates the studs from the average is work ethic. He has that.

#3 Kyle will be back and maturity in Leno, and the step forward by Whitehair will give us one of the top OLs in the league. This is huge.

#4 The TE spot was a weakness last year with Miller hurt a lot. Paulson with the next in live and he sucked. Now we have Sims, Shaheen, and an emerging Brown. I doubt if Miller even makes the cut. Huge upgrade.

#5 Everybody looks at this WR group as very average, but keep in mind. Merideth is an emerging star, something Jeffery didnt show the last two years. We have a best WR available in his draft class, that is healthy now. His talent will

show through this year. Between Cruz, Wright, and Wheaton, one of them will emerge as a star, they all have been successful in the league before. I think who ever starts in the slot will have great numbers this year.

#6 I think we have one of the best front 7s in the league. Hicks has arrived as a stud 7T. If Goldman is healthy, probably the best DLman. Howard,Bullard and RR-H will give this group much needed support.

McPhee is finally heathy and lose weight to aid his quickness. Floyd will emerge as a star 15lbs heavier and smarter. Houston and Young are more than adequate backups.Freeman, Trevathan, Kwiat are the best ILB group in the

league. I think this group could challenge for sack leaders in the league.

#7 The whole back-end of the defense will have all new starters. People that fit Fangio's defense.With the pressure from the front 7, this group will shine and actually contribute with TOs this year.

#8 I dont care for Fox, but he has always been successful in his career. Last year was a blimp because of all the injuries, so this is his year to show his stuff.

#9 Loggins takes a lot of crap but look what he did with two more than mediocre QBs, he will shine with a better group. Gleenon and Trubisky is so much of a ungrade over last year.

#10 Im an optimist, top 10 defense, top 5 OL, one of the top 5 RBs. You add weapons like Shaheen and Cohen to this group and we will look like a top offense in the NFL.

Why we won't make the playoffs:

1) Mike Glennon

I actually share much of your enthusiasm for the Bears this year but reality in the NFL is that without a solid QB, or an elite defense that can carry the water for an no-name QB like Hoyer, the playoffs are not likely. Glennon might become a solid QB for us but it won't happen in the first month of the season. Our defense will not be elite either because of all the new pieces in the secondary.

Pace has quietly put players who were in key roles last season in competition to where they may not even make the roster. Unrein, Zach Miller, Langford, Kyle Fuller (he was expected to be our starter), HJQ, and even Grasu. While the top end of the roster still has some significant gaps the bottom end depth in many positions far better this year. Couple that with some (not even all) of the 2nd year players showing improvement and we should be seeing more consistent play across the board even if when we have a few injuries. However, there are some key weak spots in the depth such as ILB until Trevathan returns. OT too.

I see this as a 6 to 8 win team. Something dramatic would have to happen in our division such as Rodgers and Stafford going on IR early in the year for us to win 10 games and make the playoffs. There is no scenario where I can see us winning more than 10 games.

Why we won't make the playoffs:

1) Mike Glennon

I actually share much of your enthusiasm for the Bears this year but reality in the NFL is that without a solid QB, or an elite defense that can carry the water for an no-name QB like Hoyer, the playoffs are not likely. Glennon might become a solid QB for us but it won't happen in the first month of the season. Our defense will not be elite either because of all the new pieces in the secondary.

Pace has quietly put players who were in key roles last season in competition to where they may not even make the roster. Unrein, Zach Miller, Langford, Kyle Fuller (he was expected to be our starter), HJQ, and even Grasu. While the top end of the roster still has some significant gaps the bottom end depth in many positions far better this year. Couple that with some (not even all) of the 2nd year players showing improvement and we should be seeing more consistent play across the board even if when we have a few injuries. However, there are some key weak spots in the depth such as ILB until Trevathan returns. OT too.

I see this as a 6 to 8 win team. Something dramatic would have to happen in our division such as Rodgers and Stafford going on IR early in the year for us to win 10 games and make the playoffs. There is no scenario where I can see us winning more than 10 games.

actually I think he will be one reason we will get there. Yes there is depth problem at OT but ILB is only a problem if Trevathan does not come back from injury. He is expected to miss some of the preseason but still make it back at the start of the season. There are many reasons they can fail to make the playoffs, but for now, we're healthy and have a great upside. No reason to be negative at this point. I see things falling in place, but it is subject to change.

actually I think he will be one reason we will get there. Yes there is depth problem at OT but ILB is only a problem if Trevathan does not come back from injury. He is expected to miss some of the preseason but still make it back at the start of the season. There are many reasons they can fail to make the playoffs, but for now, we're healthy and have a great upside. No reason to be negative at this point. I see things falling in place, but it is subject to change.

The Bears can make the playoff if they follow my plan.Run Howard and Cohen 40 times a game.....get to the red zone use you big targets at WE and TE to create a mismatch. But most of all play defense.Rally to the ball....make tackles....and take the ball away. The biggest problem is in the secondary.....dont let them catch the ball!!!

• 2 weeks later...
The Bears can make the playoff if they follow my plan.Run Howard and Cohen 40 times a game.....get to the red zone use you big targets at WE and TE to create a mismatch. But most of all play defense.Rally to the ball....make tackles....and take the ball away. The biggest problem is in the secondary.....dont let them catch the ball!!!

Making tackles? Yeah if only the team could do that. We haven't seen that in several years. Take the ball away? If only it was that simple.

I'm sorry but last yr this was one of the worst defenses in the entire league. Especially at creating turnovers. I can't remember a team in my life time who was worse at it than us. I want to share your enthusiasm for the team unfortunately i don't think I could get so drunk to make that kind of statement. I see improvement being made but not a 7 game or more improvement in the win column