Last two drafts

eback

I have to say I haven't felt this optimistic about back to back drafts including UDFA since the early 2000's and these classes might... might produce a ton of starters for a decade. I'll give an A- so far. We could have really used a receiver but we'll see how Gentrey turns out.

It is still too early to get a feel for this year's class. I will say that this year's draft looks far better now than it did a month ago. That's mainly because of Eddie Jackson, who has really surprised me, and Cohen who both look like they will contribute significantly this year. In comparison last year's 4th round DBs are at best backup players. That's not all bad as you don't expect to find starters on day 3. Kwiatkoski was also a 4th Rd pick and he was a hit IMO. He could develop into a starter level player although he needs to be in Freeman's role instead of Trevathan's. At a minimum he looks like a solid #3 LB on the roster and that is fair value in the 4th Rd.

From last year: Floyd, Whitehair, and Bullard... by week 4 we'll know what we have there. It does look good right now.

The last two drafts have given the Bears some great pieces to look forward to for years. RB is a position I never thought we would take especially back to back years. Those two RB's look to be special and big factors on future success for this team. With that said, you never know what Pace has in mind. Right now, I am penciling in a OLT to protect Mitch and pave lanes for the stable of throughbreds, but I can see him nabbing another OLB too.

I think it is too early to judge this years draft. I like it so far, but that is a very premature statement. In terms of last years draft, it looked very good after year 1 and with Bullard ascending it looks better (and Floyd looks even better)...that said, we are still talking about some preseason games.

I'm definitely not giving pro bowl status to anyone in this years draft however just based on optimism I feel a lot better about the young players before they have really proven too much than I have in a long time. Hope they work out as well as they seem!

The last two drafts have given the Bears some great pieces to look forward to for years. RB is a position I never thought we would take especially back to back years. Those two RB's look to be special and big factors on future success for this team. With that said, you never know what Pace has in mind. Right now, I am penciling in a OLT to protect Mitch and pave lanes for the stable of throughbreds, but I can see him nabbing another OLB too.

Spoke about the OLT too soon. We just extended Leno Jr to a 4 year contract at 9 million per year. That will shake up the early draft boards to CB, WR, and OLB now.

It is too early to get a real sense of how good or bad the recent drafts have been. There certainly is reason to be optimistic about our Pace's draft classes. We've seen players (all across the league) flash early in their careers only to fizzle out, we've seen players look like busts early only to figure it out and have good careers, and others play as advertised good or bad. The short term is looking positive. Time will tell what the long term holds.

I do like what I've seen from our recent drafts/udfa's and I feel like the bottom end of our roster has gotten much better since Pace took over. I think that shows in special teams, both coverage and return. We see it especially in the defense. I think this is so important as we've seen more than our share of starters go down, the well run teams have the depth that they can withstand injuries especially key players.