Justin Fields at 11

adam

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I hated the idea of trading up for a QB but , at 11, being able to keep 2nd and 3rd round pick will still fill some needs to make the team better.  Fields is the second best QB in this draft and to be able to get him at 11 with only giving away one first round pick and a 5,  4 next year i is great. This could be our franchise QB.  After reading about him, I love the pick.  He was responsible for getting the big 10 to play football this year. He is a hard worker and loves the game. Him and Lawrence were the top 2 ranked players coming out of high school that .year. production?? 67 TDs- 9 interceptions.  19 on the ground with 4.4 speed. After all these years this could be the one. 

This is the key here.  Keeping most of the rest of this years draft in tact.  We still have out 2nd, 3rd, and four 6th rounders.  Outside of next years 1, we gave up pocket change.  A 5th rounder, and next years 4th.  If Fields turns out to be a stud, and the franchise QB we've been looking for for forever.  This move will be looked at as a steal.  To get probably the second best QB out of the top 5 at #11 and not having to give up the farm to do so, could go down as Pace's best draft move to date.  

2 hours ago, Bertva said:

I'm a little shocked, if he pans out it will be a good move.  How has Ohio St QB fare in the NFL?

Does this mean we are stuck with Pace and Nagy for 2 more years?

If Fields is our franchise QB heck yeah, I'll take Pace and Nagy. We have NEVER had any luck with QB since Sid Luckman, so I'm ready to see a real, solid QB in Chicago before I die. (and that's probably within the next10-15 years)

One thing we can say for sure, if Nagy cant make this work, it's no one's fault but his own.

And if his system is a winner, but requires rare talent to run it, then here is a chance to make that case too.

Nagy was part of the group that chose Mahomes. Maybe it really was all Trubisky. Nagy will have a chance to make that claim.

But they will need help on the OL or it is all moot (see the aforementioned Mahomes in the SB without his regular OTs)

16 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

One thing we can say for sure, if Nagy cant make this work, it's no one's fault but his own.

And if his system is a winner, but requires rare talent to run it, then here is a chance to make that case too.

Nagy was part of the group that chose Mahomes. Maybe it really was all Trubisky. Nagy will have a chance to make that claim.

But they will need help on the OL or it is all moot (see the aforementioned Mahomes in the SB without his regular OTs)

I hope the experts are wrong that say Constanza (oline coach) got the unit playing well the last part of the season and they can push that need down.  Without a 1st next year, they need OT more so now.  Great chance we can get a decent one too.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I hope the experts are wrong that say Constanza (oline coach) got the unit playing well the last part of the season and they can push that need down.  Without a 1st next year, they need OT more so now.  Great chance we can get a decent one too.

I totally agree. And it has to include an OT that can potentially play OLT, even if he plays ORT this year. Becasue at some point during the year, I think they will have to make the switch.

15 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

It just hit me that I don’t have to try to talk myself into Mills/Mond/Trask tonight and got happy about the pick all over again.

LOL its a good draft no matter what else happens.