Justin Fields at 11

adam

Didn’t catch what we gave up.  But hat said once  he and Jones started dropping and kept dropping I had a feeling we might move up. I’m good with this we only needed to move up 9 spots to get a top 5 QB at 11. A little surprised the 49ers took Lance at #3. But also relieved knowing that Pace trading up for Lance wasn’t going to happen. Stark contrast to trading up for Mitch who started only 13 games Against low quality competition. 

I knew Pace would move up for a QB but at least the Bears got a really good QB prospect and didn’t entirely mortgage the future to do so. 

The Bears acquired the No. 11 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft from the New York Giants in exchange for the No. 20 pick, a fifth-round pick (No. 164) and 2022 first-round and fourth-round selections. Chicagoused the 11th pick to draft Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields

I love the pick, hate giving up draft picks, but you gotta do what you gotta do, LOL

I saw these stats:

Career Passing Yards: 5,701
Career Passing TDs: 67
Career Interceptions: 9
Career Rushing Yards: 1,133
Career Rushing TDs: 19

At his pro day he ran a 4.44 40-yd dash

67/9 TD/INT Ratio is awesome

He is good throwing when forced outside the pocket, and can obviously pick up some yds when no one is open

Nagy will love his feet too. Hes got to be thinking of how Trubisky used his feet early to win games the first year.

But the big winner here is Montgomery, because Fields is accurate with the deep ball, and that and Fields' wheels will open running lanes and make the RPO work.

Nagy has his Mahomes now, so there are no more excuses.

Oh, and we need someone to protect this guy now. OL pls.

37 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Here's my PFF draft for the remainder.  No trades.

Screenshot_20210429-224729_Chrome.jpg

I’d be good with this. Would like us to take a second OT somewhere but I like Newsome and Marshall. Tough to fill as our holes in one draft. This would be a good start.

*edit* Newsome off the board. Maybe we do get a couple OTs and a WR

1 hour ago, adam said:

He was rated as high as #2, so to get him at #11 while only giving up next year's first and no 2nd or 3rd is pretty solid. 

Yep.  But what scares the hell out of me is that Vegas has the Bears over/under for wins as 7.  If that’s close, we will have around the #11 pick.  So we gave up this year’s #20, next year’s #11, and other picks.  

We REALLY need to win this year.  

5 minutes ago, bradjock said:

Yep.  But what scares the hell out of me is that Vegas has the Bears over/under for wins as 7.  If that’s close, we will have around the #11 pick.  So we gave up this year’s #20, next year’s #11, and other picks.  

Vegas lines will change a lot as the season goes. Really the only pick of value we gave up was that 2022 1st. If the rest of the draft goes well and if I e get better play production and better play calling we could surpass that prediction. Heck with the dumpster fire that was last season we still managed to get to 8-8.  A lot has to go right but it can happen. 

1 hour ago, bradjock said:

We just need Fields to be good - either way - they wren't taking a QB early next year (class isn't depth) - so really it was you get one this year or you aren't picking one until 2023 - which basically means you are punting 2 years only to hope you get a QB in '23.  So fired up for this move.  Yeah we gave up a 1st plus some other stuff, but we have opportunity to add some more good guys this year and are going to see the cap space explode in a year. 

Plus we have 2 good vets to surround Fields by so we don't have to rush him.  Nagy has no excuse - but just so fired up they were bold and went up here. Draft worked out so well.  Thought they would have to give up way more...so nice.  

Now I would hope we get a good value offer to maybe move down in the 2nd - stack up some extra 3rd/4ths and get more depth.  

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

We just need Fields to be good - either way - they wren't taking a QB early next year (class isn't depth) - so really it was you get one this year or you aren't picking one until 2023 - which basically means you are punting 2 years only to hope you get a QB in '23.  So fired up for this move.  Yeah we gave up a 1st plus some other stuff, but we have opportunity to add some more good guys this year and are going to see the cap space explode in a year. 

Plus we have 2 good vets to surround Fields by so we don't have to rush him.  Nagy has no excuse - but just so fired up they were bold and went up here. Draft worked out so well.  Thought they would have to give up way more...so nice.  

agree

12 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I ranked him as the best QB in this draft.  But, I also loved Trubisky, so this could be another kiss of death, lol...

I wasn’t a fan of Trubiskys and not feeling warm and fuzzy about Fields either.  But that’s based on very little ‘film’ I’ve seen and not really thinking the Bears would be in position to get him. FWIW I hope you’re right this time. 

I understand he and Urban Meyer didn’t work together a lot but was Lawrence that much better than Fields that he (Meyer) had to pass on him?  The current Ohio State HC (Day) was the OC and QB coach under Meyer.  And the same team that produced Haskins 2 years ago.  (yes I understand that I sound like a little black rain cloud - just sayin).  The positive of this right now is that Pace didn’t wager a ridiculous amount of the future in the pick.  

I hated the idea of trading up for a QB but , at 11, being able to keep 2nd and 3rd round pick will still fill some needs to make the team better.  Fields is the second best QB in this draft and to be able to get him at 11 with only giving away one first round pick and a 5,  4 next year i is great. This could be our franchise QB.  After reading about him, I love the pick.  He was responsible for getting the big 10 to play football this year. He is a hard worker and loves the game. Him and Lawrence were the top 2 ranked players coming out of high school that .year. production?? 67 TDs- 9 interceptions.  19 on the ground with 4.4 speed. After all these years this could be the one.