So now what?

Bill

I have spent the last few years dogging Nagy, his scheme, and play calling.  Pace's draft strategy, free agent choices.  It is what it is and I need to change how I process those choices.  I have listened to a few different opinions over the past week on things.

!.  With Nagy turning play calling over to Lazor I think it can give him a better perspective during the game.  Instead of his head buried in the play call sheet looking for his next magic bullet he can see how the game is going.  Maybe not so many "I didn't see the play" comments   He said so when asked about the hurry up call on I believe the Robinson or Moony toe tape catch.  He knew it was a catch but told Lazor to hurry up and forced the Lions to call a time out.  Coach speak after the fact? Maybe, but shows that he at least got his head out of the ass, err, play sheet and watched the game unfold.

2.  Learning form someones past mistakes is hard.  And Nagy is a stubborn as anyone to admit his.  His press conf. Sunday night was more of a see I know what I'm doing.  Wrong time, wrong place for his remarks.  But I think he was way over reacting to the shit storm he faced because of his mistakes, all week and his pride was hurt.  He should be tougher but maybe, maybe he just might be learning.  If he ever takes the play calling back I guess not.

3.  I don't understand his mind games about who will start at QB, or who is going to call plays.  This team is just not good enough to make any team really worry about who is doing what.  I think they know if they just plan for the limitations the Bears have they will be OK.  No one on this team scares anyone at this time on offense.

4.  He seems to be a good head coach that keeps his players motivated and lets them have fun.  If he could just realize that's his strength and not having control of the offense during game day he might just might turn out OK.  But is he to stubborn?

That's the thing, when he was calling plays, he was also making himself a worse head coach. Now Nagy can be a better game day HC and the team has a better play-caller. If you add that to Fields over Dalton, those are all significant improvements that are exponential. 

I always thought Nagy was a good HC. If he sticks to this plan, he can be an even better HC.

This will be Fields' 3rd week as the starter and getting starter reps, but only the 2nd week with Lazor calling plays. So there is still a lot of room to improve.

Here are the teams and their defensive ratings before the bye: LV (15th), GB (23rd), TB (19th), SF (16th), PIT (22nd). Fields will only face one current top 10 defense the rest of the year. The best Defense remaining based on DVOA is Arizona at #6 after a mini-post Thanksgiving bye. Here is what the schedule looks like post bye: BAL (12), DET (31), ARZ (6), GB (23), MIN (14), SEA (25), NYG (27), MIN (14).

The good thing is the Bears have extra rest and prep time for the top two defensive teams they will face the rest of the year.  

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I have spent the last few years dogging Nagy, his scheme, and play calling.  Pace's draft strategy, free agent choices.  It is what it is and I need to change how I process those choices.  I have listened to a few different opinions over the past week on things.

!.  With Nagy turning play calling over to Lazor I think it can give him a better perspective during the game.  Instead of his head buried in the play call sheet looking for his next magic bullet he can see how the game is going.  Maybe not so many "I didn't see the play" comments   He said so when asked about the hurry up call on I believe the Robinson or Moony toe tape catch.  He knew it was a catch but told Lazor to hurry up and forced the Lions to call a time out.  Coach speak after the fact? Maybe, but shows that he at least got his head out of the ass, err, play sheet and watched the game unfold.

2.  Learning form HIS past mistakes is APPARENTLY hard FOR HIM TO DO.  And Nagy is a stubborn as anyone to admit his.  His press conf. Sunday night was more of a see I know what I'm doing.  Wrong time, wrong place for his remarks.  But I think he was way over reacting to the shit storm he faced because of his mistakes, all week and his pride was hurt.  He should be tougher but maybe, maybe he just might be learning.  If he ever takes the play calling back I guess not.

3.  I don't understand his mind games about who will start at QB, or who is going to call plays.  This team is just not good enough to make any team really worry about who is doing what.  I think they know if they just plan for the limitations the Bears have they will be OK.  No one on this team scares anyone at this time on offense.

4.  He seems to be a good head coach that keeps his players motivated and lets them have fun.  If he could just realize that's his strength and not having control of the offense during game day he might just might turn out OK.  But is he to stubborn?

I corrected point 2 for ya.