Draft Day 3

ASHKUM BEAR

5 hours ago, McGowan said:

The fact that they didn't draft a 3T high strongly suggests to me that they're bringing back Ogunjobi on a lesser deal. 

I agree, it may not have worked out as the board played out but never addressed it at all. I think they may have targeted a DT and he ended up being gone, so backup plan Is Ogunjobi coming back here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Robinson/ DE selection ( ton of upside) is almost identical to Charlie Snowden UDFA. from  last year. 6.22 NFL rating. The 4th option at DE may already  be on the roster, plus he was better against the run. He is listed as a LB on bear's website, so maybe he is our SAM LB. 

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

At this point of the draft they are drafting players they figured for priority free agents. Ebner/ RB was compared to Tony Pollard . Is a KR and is an excellent receiver with 4.42_speed. Lining players up in case they don't resign Monty.

In his press conference he compared himself to Pollard.   Poles likes his ability to run in the wide-zone scheme.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

In his press conference he compared himself to Pollard.   Poles likes his ability to run in the wide-zone scheme.  

He was a WR that converted to RB, could be a Tarik Cohen type pass catcher with 4.42 speed, same as Cohen.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The Robinson/ DE selection ( ton of upside) is almost identical to Charlie Snowden UDFA. from  last year. 6.22 NFL rating. The 4th option at DE may already  be on the roster, plus he was better against the run. He is listed as a LB on bear's website, so maybe he is our SAM LB. 

I forgot about Snowden.  IIRC he was a little too skinny coming out but hopefully he's added some bulk and is ready to compete.  It'll be interesting to watch them develop over the season but we could have a good DE rotation by the end of the season.   If Robinson is good enough to make the 53 he'll likely struggle to be on the game day roster.    

Overall I really like what Poles did on Day 3.  Braxton Jones floor should be as our backup swing OT but he has starter traits and may develop into our LT of the future.   I feel the same about Zach Thomas for the IOL. 

Ja'Tyre Carter has the raw skills but is on a longer timeline.  Just watching his Senior Bowl clips he looks like he needs to add strength and improve his hands but he moves well in space.  In his defense he hasn't played inside much so Senior Bowl work was a big transition for him coming from a smaller school.  Probably a practice squad candidate this year.

Ebner's best value is as a returner where he has really good vision to setup his blocks.  His running style is similar to Herbert probably with a bit more burst out of the cuts.   He has very good hands and I can see him carving out a role as a 3rd down back/returner early in his career.    

I love the potential of Robinson on the edge.  Listening to his press conference he's already been working on adding pass rush moves so he isn't waiting around for an NFL team to get better.  Hearing that he's been modeling his game off what Leonard Floyd does wasn't very inspirational.  

I'm not sure what to make of the C Kramer. 

Elijah Hicks should end up as a good backup safety for us/special teams player.  He's a little undersized but his approach to the game and turnovers is what we want to see.  He's not an elite athlete and although he is new to playing safety he is instinctive and gets after it when he sees it.  Not a single high safety for the NFL but he'll be ok in a zone.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make some big plays in preseason against backups on offense who are still trying to figure things out.  

As far as drafting a punter:  This kid is not Mega Punt but he has a good leg and can get enough hang time on his punts so the coverage is in place to force a fair catch.  He has some different style kicks too.  If he's kicking from around mid-field he'll drop the ball with the point down and it will have a ton of hang time and drop deep into the red zone with his half his coverage team there to down it.   Most punters just try to aim so it goes out of bounds inside the 20yd line.  Not him.   How consistently he can do that remains to be seen but that skill might be why we drafted him.   It's interesting to note that the mega punt kid can get your team out of a hole and flip the field but this kid can put the other team in one inside the 10yd line.   I think four punters got drafted this year.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxVq_xa734