Idea for the LB Squad

SoxFan1

Ok, so I've been thinking about this for a while. Mark Anderson is obviously our best pure pass rusher, but Brown deserves more playing time as he is much better against the run, so I say, if Briggs leaves, we convert Anderson to a LB/DE hybrid, along the lines of Willie McGinest and Terrell Suggs. He's definitely got the speed and athleticism, and we all know he can tackle. I think the role would suit him well if he can learn to play some decent zone coverage and of course, he'd always be a threat when blitzing.

Even if Briggs stays, we should think about this because it allows us to play our best players more in Brown at DE and then Anderson's threat to get to the QB. Suggs is 6'3, 260 and Anderson is 6'4, 255 so their nearly identical physically. If he emerges, we could let Hillenmeyer go to save some cap space.

Anderson/Urlacher/Briggs or Anderson/Urlacher/Hillenmeyer or Williams/Urlacher/Hillenmeyer or possibly Williams/Urlacher/Anderson...

I dunno, just something I've been thinking about for a while which might improve our defense. Thoughts?

Isnt the LB/DE hybrid more suited for the 3-4 defense though? The last player I can remember playing such a role was Roosevelt Colvin, and the defense was different then(large lineman in the middle, not as much cover 2 as there was 4-3 defense).

It is worth a shot, but I have a feeling that Anderson would be targeted even moreso because of the coverage that a LB needs to apply in certain defenses and his tendency to bullrush every chance he gets.

Isnt the LB/DE hybrid more suited for the 3-4 defense though? The last player I can remember playing such a role was Roosevelt Colvin, and the defense was different then(large lineman in the middle, not as much cover 2 as there was 4-3 defense).

It is worth a shot, but I have a feeling that Anderson would be targeted even moreso because of the coverage that a LB needs to apply in certain defenses and his tendency to bullrush every chance he gets.

Generally yes, it is a key in the 3-4 defense, but it could very well work. He's definitely got the athletic ability to do it, and it puts our best athletes on the field more often. Now we've got some defensive minds in Lovie and Babich, and though it'll probably never happen, I could definitely see it working.